SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Another (?) first-time Volvo owner-to-be here, at the other side of the pond, eagerly awaiting delivery of a brand new 2016 S60 D4 Summum. Thanks to my employer I was able to order it through the Volvo Diplomatic Sales channel, it's "full option" at a reasonable price. Can't wait!

I'm going to miss my VW Eos in some way, that is for sure. But after 400.000 km (say 250.000 miles) that car is by now way past its prime (and many costly repairs due).

One thing I already know I will need to add is a 5V USB power connector behind the waterfall. That is not an issue, but I haven't yet found a decent write-up how to get access, i.e. how to remove the right lower side panel from the center console (as shown in this post. Shouldn't be difficult, but I'd like to know ;)

Thanks!
Marco

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Welcome! That panel just pops off. I start at the side closest to the firewall and gently pop each clip out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, at least I have the mini-S60 to look at whilst my patience is being testing. The Volvo dealer (one of I believe only two in the Netherlands who are familiar with Diplomatic and Military sales) was so kind to present me with this little gift after I had signed the order. It's not in the right configuration and color (he even apologized for this) but I don't mind, it's a nice gesture!

That's my current car there in the back. Or rather a 1:43 scale model of it. That was not a gift, VW was never so kind, I bought it at one of the VW Eos meetings I attended in Germany when the car was still young, many moons ago...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I came from a VW Eos. Worst car for the winter that I ever owned.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I came from a VW Eos. Worst car for the winter that I ever owned.
The roof doesn't need to stay in the trunk all year long, you know ;)

All joking aside, I must disagree. Because of the metal folding roof the car is just as pleasant to drive in during the winter. Never liked soft roofs, and with the Eos out of production and no alternatives in its class anymore it was soon clear I had to say goodbye to cabrio driving sooner or later. But the thing I will probably miss the most is the very large sunroof in the Eos. Yes with age comes sqeaking from the pillars and a little drop of moisture in the car now and then (I'm still talking about my car here!), but that was always understood to be the payoff and no problem at all. We do get real winters here sometimes, but always a pleasure to drive. In almost 9 years and 250K miles it has NEVER let me down, only once did it not want to start and that was due to a dead battery (after a phone call within 30 minutes fixed by a VW technician on my own driveway).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The roof doesn't need to stay in the trunk all year long, you know ;)

All joking aside, I must disagree. Because of the metal folding roof the car is just as pleasant to drive in during the winter. Never liked soft roofs, and with the Eos out of production and no alternatives in its class anymore it was soon clear I had to say goodbye to cabrio driving sooner or later. But the thing I will probably miss the most is the very large sunroof in the Eos. Yes with age comes sqeaking from the pillars and a little drop of moisture in the car now and then (I'm still talking about my car here!), but that was always understood to be the payoff and no problem at all. We do get real winters here sometimes, but always a pleasure to drive. In almost 9 years and 250K miles it has NEVER let me down, only once did it not want to start and that was due to a dead battery (after a phone call within 30 minutes fixed by a VW technician on my own driveway).
I do miss that large sunroof and it was a fun car in the summer. Aside from the constant trips to the dealer, yes it had piston rings replaced too, the reason I say it was a terrible winter car was due a few things. One, the weight distribution was more toward the rear of the car (probably due to the hardtop design) so being front wheel drive it did not do as well in snow as normal front wheel drive cars. Two, the windows had to drop a little for the door to open. Can't tell you how many times the windows were frozen preventing the door from opening. That's not something you want to fight with on a cold morning trying to get to work. One morning, after the fight to get in, I made the mistake to try to free the window by pressing the down button. The window made it down half way and stopped! Then would not budge. No choice but to drive strait to the dealer that morning in 20 degree temps with the window down on the highway to get resolved because more snow was expected. I swear my left ear was about to fall off. Of course "no problem was found" but they needed to use their computer to reset the door controller to get the window working again. Three, due to the numerous radiators in the cooling system it took forever to warm up the cabin. Admittedly, if I had a garage many of these would not have been an issue but after that window fiasco I told myself I would never buy another car whose windows had to drop to get in, at least in my area of the world. Sadly that ruled out the A5 which was my true love at the time.

The S60, aside from the piston ring issue, which BTW Volvo handled without issue unlike VW, has been a pleasure to own over the years. I think you'll enjoy yours and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you share some pics of your EOS, if possible.
Sure. I didn't take that much pics when the car was still young, and that reminds me I need to do one final and proper photo shoot before the Eos era is over...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do miss that large sunroof and it was a fun car in the summer. Aside from the constant trips to the dealer, yes it had piston rings replaced too, the reason I say it was a terrible winter car was due a few things. One, the weight distribution was more toward the rear of the car (probably due to the hardtop design) so being front wheel drive it did not do as well in snow as normal front wheel drive cars. Two, the windows had to drop a little for the door to open. Can't tell you how many times the windows were frozen preventing the door from opening. That's not something you want to fight with on a cold morning trying to get to work. One morning, after the fight to get in, I made the mistake to try to free the window by pressing the down button. The window made it down half way and stopped! Then would not budge. No choice but to drive strait to the dealer that morning in 20 degree temps with the window down on the highway to get resolved because more snow was expected. I swear my left ear was about to fall off. Of course "no problem was found" but they needed to use their computer to reset the door controller to get the window working again. Three, due to the numerous radiators in the cooling system it took forever to warm up the cabin. Admittedly, if I had a garage many of these would not have been an issue but after that window fiasco I told myself I would never buy another car whose windows had to drop to get in, at least in my area of the world. Sadly that ruled out the A5 which was my true love at the time.

The S60, aside from the piston ring issue, which BTW Volvo handled without issue unlike VW, has been a pleasure to own over the years. I think you'll enjoy yours and welcome to the forum.
Not doubting you in any way, believe me, but can't say I have had any similar experiences. Off course, my Eos is a diesel (the TDI is heavier up front?) with the 6-gear manual gearbox. I have never driven a petrol Eos with automatic gearbox, so I can't tell if there is any difference between the two in the snow. I do drive automatic gear cars regularly, but I prefer a manual gearbox in the snow. Maybe just because I'm used to driving a stick. The cabin heating is unbelievably quick (again, the diesel?) even when the outside temperature is way below freezing. And my windows never froze. Maybe because my dealer regularly treated the door rubbers, or maybe I was just lucky ;) And indeed a fun car to drive. But I have no doubt the S60 will be too, and I'll be enjoying it at least as much!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Isn't there some questions to be asked about VW diesel engines these days? ;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't there some questions to be asked about VW diesel engines these days? ;-)
So I've heard :rolleyes:

The diesel in my Eos however is the PD 2.0 TDI, not the later common rail engine which I believe is the one with the "naughty software". And anyway engines with that software don't perform less than advertised, they are "just" a "little bit less" less polluting than we all thought they are... But I don't want to start a discussion here ;)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi all,

Another (?) first-time Volvo owner-to-be here, at the other side of the pond, eagerly awaiting delivery of a brand new 2016 S60 D4 Summum. Thanks to my employer I was able to order it through the Volvo Diplomatic Sales channel, it's "full option" at a reasonable price. Can't wait!

I'm going to miss my VW Eos in some way, that is for sure. But after 400.000 km (say 250.000 miles) that car is by now way past its prime (and many costly repairs due).

One thing I already know I will need to add is a 5V USB power connector behind the waterfall. That is not an issue, but I haven't yet found a decent write-up how to get access, i.e. how to remove the right lower side panel from the center console (as shown in this post. Shouldn't be difficult, but I'd like to know ;)

Thanks!
Marco
I posted a complete write-up with pictures detailing my installation of a 3-socket 12-volt outlet behind the waterfall pulling the power off the 12 V socket between the cup holders. Wiring was underneath the console. A search should bring it up...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I posted a complete write-up with pictures detailing my installation of a 3-socket 12-volt outlet behind the waterfall pulling the power off the 12 V socket between the cup holders. Wiring was underneath the console. A search should bring it up...
Yes, I found it, very helpfull. In fact I actually referred to your write-up in my original post ;)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Oh. Great!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She has arrived!

Finally, the long wait is over. I took delivery of my S60 last friday. What a car! She's now patiently sitting on the driveway...and will be for the next 10 days, because I'm out of the country starting tomorrow. Not the best of timing, but can't be helped. More to look forward to coming home ;)

Did manage to install the sports pedals and dead pedal, gives the interior an even more "finished" look, if you ask me.

Cheers,
Marco

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Congratulations! Its going to be a long 10 days....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts