1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Don't trust to newspapers and journalist. Whoever sit in Xc60 after driving Xc90 few years
know the difference and its not comparable at all.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't mind the looks of a larger XC60 so much, and given the need for a collective design language/theme, it probably will look something like a larger XC60. I do, however, mind this:

"The new XC90 debuts in 2014 with newly developed four-cylinder turbo and naturally aspirated engines replacing the older V8 motors."

That doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I do, however, mind this:

"The new XC90 debuts in 2014 with newly developed four-cylinder turbo and naturally aspirated engines replacing the older V8 motors."

That doesn't sound good.
That part I can confirm. Volvo is taking a strict 4-cylinder approach in the future to meet fuel economy goals. They will be direct injected, turbo/sc, & n/a examples. The engineers we heard from told us to expect ~300+ hp from the FI motors, depending on trim levels.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't mind the looks of a larger XC60 so much, and given the need for a collective design language/theme, it probably will look something like a larger XC60. I do, however, mind this:

That doesn't sound good.
Based on what I've heard and experienced, I've never been a fan of the V8. I just wish they would have put the 3.0 T6 in the XC90 (not the 2.9 T6 with the bad GM transmission). I'm willing to take a wait and see attitude about the T4 though. Volvo claims this engine will have more horsepower than the 3.2 (I think), and I would prefer a turbo to a naturally aspirated engine. I just think Volvo lost it's way on the design of the XC60. It lost the "understated elegance" of Scandinavian design, and it doesn't have a distinctive enough Volvo look.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That part I can confirm. Volvo is taking a strict 4-cylinder approach in the future to meet fuel economy goals. They will be direct injected, turbo/sc, & n/a examples. The engineers we heard from told us to expect ~300+ hp from the FI motors, depending on trim levels.
I could go with a turbocharged 300+ HP engine.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The real question is how the new engines will feel, & sound. The automotive press have been tearing BMW a new on for the new turbo-4 in the 5 series. Let's hope our execution is more refined.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The real question is how the new engines will feel, & sound. The automotive press have been tearing BMW a new on for the new turbo-4 in the 5 series. Let's hope our execution is more refined.
I have high hopes. -_~

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I could go with a turbocharged 300+ HP engine.
Agreed, but for a car this big and heavy it would probably be better if it comes in the form of a twin-turbo v6 (like the Ecoboost) as opposed to a moderately-massively blown v4 like the VW/Audi 2.0T or the Subaru Boxer 4 in the STi. Those are good engines for small to medium size sporty cars, but the lag/boom and generally rough "busynes" of engines like those would not suit the XC90 so well. And those turbo 4s aren't spectacularly fuel efficient either. Unfortunately it sounds like Volvo might be going that route rather than sourcing the Ecoboost 6 from Ford, which is what they SHOULD be doing.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed, but for a car this big and heavy it would probably be better if it comes in the form of a twin-turbo v6 (like the Ecoboost) as opposed to a moderately-massively blown v4 like the VW/Audi 2.0T or the Subaru Boxer 4 in the STi. Those are good engines for small to medium size sporty cars, but the lag/boom and generally rough "busynes" of engines like those would not suit the XC90 so well. And those turbo 4s aren't spectacularly fuel efficient either. Unfortunately it sounds like Volvo might be going that route rather than sourcing the Ecoboost 6 from Ford, which is what they SHOULD be doing.
Volvo claims the 4 cylinder--as well as the 3 cylinder--will give their cars greater fuel efficiency. Technology marches on, I hope. I would rather they put the new 3.0 T6 in the XC90. I really don't care about super fuel efficiency, just decent fuel efficiency, with good engine reliability and performance. But I don't know anything about the Ford Ecoboost 6.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The pic doesn't look at all realistic to me. It looks like whoever photoshopped this wanted to see what a Kia Forte would look like as an SUV with a Volvo badge. :facepalm:

OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about...

- - - - - - - - -

Color me skeptical when it comes to the success of a four-banger in the XC90. Just look at the EcoBoost Explorers - the power is barely adequate, 'cause the thing is just too heavy for a four.

I get why fuel efficiency is important, but magic isn't possible...

The new T6 would be ideal for it, if you ask me. Let the XC60 have a four-cylinder option; it just might get away with it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pic doesn't look at all realistic to me. It looks like whoever photoshopped this wanted to see what a Kia Forte would look like as an SUV with a Volvo badge. :facepalm:

OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about...

- - - - - - - - -

Color me skeptical when it comes to the success of a four-banger in the XC90. Just look at the EcoBoost Explorers - the power is barely adequate, 'cause the thing is just too heavy for a four.

I get why fuel efficiency is important, but magic isn't possible...

The new T6 would be ideal for it, if you ask me. Let the XC60 have a four-cylinder option; it just might get away with it.
Hilarious! The only thing that looks Volvo about it is the badge. And P is right--if it looks like this POC, I'll be looking for an older well maintained low mileage XC90 when I start looking for a another car in about 4 or 5 years.

As we have no choice about which engine Volvo puts in the XC90, we can only hope the 4 cyl will be all that they are claiming. "Hope springs eternal," as they say.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hopefully, Volvo/Geely are smart enough to realize that a turbo-4 in the XC90 = Massive Sales Flop in the US and they save those for the EUR market. What we really need for better fuel efficiency is a decent modern turbo-diesel 6, the competition (ML, X5, Q7) all already provide that option.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully, Volvo/Geely are smart enough to realize that a turbo-4 in the XC90 = Massive Sales Flop in the US and they save those for the EUR market. What we really need for better fuel efficiency is a decent modern turbo-diesel 6, the competition (ML, X5, Q7) all already provide that option.
Good point. Maybe Volvo should offer an engine for the Euro/Green crowd, and one for the American/performance crowd.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd say bring on a turbo 4 with a hybrid electric drive. A highly blown 2.0L turbo producing 250hp mated to a 50 hp electric motor. Now that would be innovative and an industry first.......I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.