SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just started driving on her own last year. She is pretty responsible, but she's still a teen. She was in an unfamiliar area with low lighting, narrow road and slick conditions. She ended up riding the ditch until she came to rest at the pole of the railroad bridge. She walked away and was able to go to school the next day.

This happened back in November 21 and tomorrow we pick up her replacement 2014 S60.

Hopefully this vehicle last through college. 馃

Attachments

Registered
My daughter just started driving on her own last year. She is pretty responsible, but she's still a teen. She was in an unfamiliar area with low lighting, narrow road and slick conditions. She ended up riding the ditch until she came to rest at the pole of the railroad bridge. She walked away and was able to go to school the next day.

This happened back in November 21 and tomorrow we pick up her replacement 2014 S60.

Hopefully this vehicle last through college.
Glad she was ok. Volvo makes the safest cars on the road and never stops innovating in safety tech. The new (to her) car should last but maintenance is key.

Sent from an annoying phone using unbridled frustration.

Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
Good to hear your daughter is ok. Safety and comfort are the two reasons I bought my Volvo. Your testament to your daughter's experience says a lot about Volvo safety, along with your decision to buy another Volvo. Yes, a Volvo can be expensive to buy and maintain, but the safety of our family is priceless

Registered
Excellent!! Glad it all worked out!

Reactions: JangleBells

Registered
You鈥檙e a cool Mom! I hoped I could keep both my kids in Volvos. My daughter has a Prius now in LA because鈥 well, gas prices.
We lost her first car (my old C30) to this hit and run Shared Clip | Nest My car was almost fine. It was totaled out only bc parts are so hard to find.

Registered

Curiosity question - was her car a FWD or AWD?

Glad your daughter was "OK" after the accident.

Safety Suggestion

You've got a teenager. A High Risk Driver who is inexperienced and easily distracted. Let's face it, friends, phone, etc, etc. I know this may go against your "Trusting My Daughter Instinct", but it would also serve as a reminder.

I would invest in a Viofo A139 Dash Camera or Similar setup. This comes with a Front + Rear + Interior (Cabin View) camera. It can be hardwired to the fuse box to also record while the car is parked to capture live, real time, motion in and around vehicle.

The reason I suggest this is because your daughter is still a "Kid". This camera would capture her driving from all angles. And also if other drivers pose risks to her (hit her car). So in the instance above where she totaled her car, you would have been able to see several things:

1. What happened in front of her
2. What happened in back of her
3. What she was doing INSIDE the car at time of accident (texting, talking on phone, or actually driving and made driver error).

Your daughter might bulk at this invasion but you're her mother. There to keep an eye and keep her safe. Not to be a "friend". I am a huge proponent of dash cameras and use 2 different systems in my own vehicle for redundancy. I've captured people hitting my car unfortunately and other events involving others.

None the less, a suggestion you might wish to consider.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Safety Suggestion

You've got a teenager. A High Risk Driver who is inexperienced and easily distracted. Let's face it, friends, phone, etc, etc. I know this may go against your "Trusting My Daughter Instinct", but it would also serve as a reminder.

I would invest in a Viofo A139 Dash Camera or Similar setup. This comes with a Front + Rear + Interior (Cabin View) camera. It can be hardwired to the fuse box to also record while the car is parked to capture live, real time, motion in and around vehicle.

The reason I suggest this is because your daughter is still a "Kid". This camera would capture her driving from all angles. And also if other drivers pose risks to her (hit her car). So in the instance above where she totaled her car, you would have been able to see several things:

3. What she was doing INSIDE the car at time of accident (texting, talking on phone, or actually driving and made driver error).

Your daughter might bulk at this invasion but you're her mother. There to keep an eye and keep her safe. Not to be a "friend". I am a huge proponent of dash cameras and use 2 different systems in my own vehicle for redundancy. I've captured people hitting my car unfortunately and other events involving others.

It was FWD
I hope you found the guy. Especially if insurence would total one of my babies.
We found them, but absolutely nothing happened to them. They live close by and I physically found them and told the police and nothing was done.

We kept the car after the accident with the buy back option and bc it was mostly cosmetic we were able to replace lights and just lived with the scratches on the paint. We got rid of it a few months after bc it developed a rear main seal leak that was going to cost thousands to fix. Between the body damage and that it was time to let it go. I loved that car though. So fun to drive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You鈥檙e a cool Mom! I hoped I could keep both my kids in Volvos. My daughter has a Prius now in LA because鈥 well, gas prices.
They only reason my daughter has volvos is bc she gets my hand me downs. With the new to her S60 I just found a fair price replaced. After this if she can't keep it on the road accident free she gets what she can afford. We have the youngest going into drivers ed next. She will get the next hand me down. Big sister already used her get out of the impound free card 馃槀.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Safety Suggestion

[/QUO
It was FWD

We found them, but absolutely nothing happened to them. They live close by and I physically found them and told the police and nothing was done.

We kept the car after the accident with the buy back option and bc it was mostly cosmetic we were able to replace lights and just lived with the scratches on the paint. We got rid of it a few months after bc it developed a rear main seal leak that was going to cost thousands to fix. Between the body damage and that it was time to let it go. I loved that car though. So fun to drive.

Safety Suggestion

What does something like that cost to install? I found the model you mentioned and other Amazon suggested. Just curious on what install looks like because it looks like it's hardwired and ran through the headliner? For sure something I wouldn't do on my own.

Registered
What does something like that cost to install? I found the model you mentioned and other Amazon suggested. Just curious on what install looks like because it looks like it's hardwired and ran through the headliner? For sure something I wouldn't do on my own.
It's not super hard to do if you have a bit of patience. The S60 is easier than an SUV or Station Wagon. I run a Viofo A129 Front + Rear and Viofo A139 Front + Rear + Interior. Having been hit a few times, my Dash Cams come in handy.

Professionally installed by a reputable audio installer probably around $200 or $300. But it's also something you could do yourself. And I am by no means a DIYER or Mechanic.

I made a guide on here and ill post once I find it.

You can either run the cable via headliner and Door weather strip or along floor boards. I did mine via headliner which is perfectly fine. But the headliner is also perfect acceptable too. On the S60, no matter which route you choose, the steps are almost identical.

With exception if you want to run via floor, you need to remove the bolt via the B Pillar and then remove that trim. Why did I do the Headliner vs Floor? Bit easier but you need to also make sure on this route the cord is out of the way of the curtain in the headliner. As you don't want it getting snagged.

FYI: And I kid you not. My Dash Cam has also helped me capture mechanical issues!! I bring the video to the dealer and they can also troubleshoot problems. Never even pictured that as a benefit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not super hard to do if you have a bit of patience. The S60 is easier than an SUV or Station Wagon. I run a Viofo A129 Front + Rear and Viofo A139 Front + Rear + Interior. Having been hit a few times, my Dash Cams come in handy.

Professionally installed by a reputable audio installer probably around $200 or $300. But it's also something you could do yourself. And I am by no means a DIYER or Mechanic.

I made a guide on here and ill post once I find it.

You can either run the cable via headliner and Door weather strip or along floor boards. I did mine via headliner which is perfectly fine. But the headliner is also perfect acceptable too. On the S60, no matter which route you choose, the steps are almost identical.

With exception if you want to run via floor, you need to remove the bolt via the B Pillar and then remove that trim. Why did I do the Headliner vs Floor? Bit easier but you need to also make sure on this route the cord is out of the way of the curtain in the headliner. As you don't want it getting snagged.

FYI: And I kid you not. My Dash Cam has also helped me capture mechanical issues!! I bring the video to the dealer and they can also troubleshoot problems. Never even pictured that as a benefit.
That's great. I was actually thinking about offering it to my daughter as her next gift. She wants to Uber drive. This would make us feel safer and allow her as a young lady to feel safe picking up customers. People are on their best behavior when it could incriminate them.

Registered
That's great. I was actually thinking about offering it to my daughter as her next gift. She wants to Uber drive. This would make us feel safer and allow her as a young lady to feel safe picking up customers. People are on their best behavior when it could incriminate them.
Will post guide here later today. And it's good for police interactions, uber passengers, etc, etc. I actually own 3 dash cameras. 2 Hardwired and installed in my own S60. 1 Portable (Front Only) I take with me in rentals / dealer loaners.

Registered
See attached. Your fuse selection may vary. You can let me know the make / model year and I can offer more guidance. This is from a 2015.5 S60 (my car). Image #1 shows Headliner if you want to BEHIND the Curtain along the Weather Stripping / headliner.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

A Pillar TRIM needs removed and that Wire routed BEHIND all other wiring as it exits to the headliner. See Yellow Arrow and Line. That Yellow Line goes behind the Curtain and all other wiring.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Windscreen wiper

B-Pillar - You can CHOOSE to put the wire in between the B Pillar. When you take off the weather stripping, there's a nice little area with a meta fastener that you can feed wire through. Keeps it out of way of the B-Pillar Curtain.

Option #1

Hood Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

You can ALSO CHOOSE to remove the B-Pillar by taking a small flat head screw driver and taking off that circled cap. Then undoing the bolts and removing the trim.

OPTION #2

Shoe Vehicle Steering part Hood Car

Option #1 - Headliner and Along Weather Stripping via Headliner - Feeding wire BEHIND CURTAIN in Headliner
Option #2 is the Floor and Avoids the Curtain (Other than Removing A and C Pillar Per Guide) and Going BEHIND the curtain (airbag) in those pillars

C-Pillar - Take off Cap on C-Pillar Remove the Bolt. Remove the Trip. Feed wire BEHIND the Curtain similar to image shown in A-Pillar Above.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car

The 2015.5 Uses Mini Fuses

Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering Computer hardware

Attachments

Registered
Before you let her use the car for business purposes such as Uber or Lyft or pizza delivery, check with your insurance company to make sure she would be covered. Many insurance policies for personal use exclude commercial uses and you may very well need to purchase a commercial policy for that purpose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts