SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently it started to rain heavily in Seattle again, so I have been using my wipers a lot. I haven't changed then since I got my car back in April 2005. The blades were getting really old and they weren't giving me a clean swipe anymore and it was really impairing my driving vision, so I decided to go to the Volvo dealer and get myself a new pair of blades. The OEM blades that come on all the new S40's cost $45 including tax. (part # 30699635) You can find them cheaper on line if you Google it. But I found out a better way, you can still use the existing wiper and just change the blade in it.

First you got to take off the annoying clips off of the end of the wiper blades. I found shoving a small flat head screw driver in it works the best. Be careful not to break the clips, but they can take quite a beating before they break.

There is a clip on in side of it. Here is a close up of how it looks like on the inside of the clip. It might help when taking them off to better position the screw driver.

Once you get the clips off the ends, there is a hook on one of the ends that keeps the rubber blade in place. You got to bend it a bit in order to free the blade.

Once that is done then rubber blade comes out just fine. Go to the store and find any good brand wiper refill blade that you like. The size you need is a 26" for the driver and a 20" for the passenger.

Slide the new blades in, push the hook back down, and but the end clips on and you got new wipers!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: (leobee)

I tried this here in the UK and couldn't find any refillls that would fit - they are flatter at the top than normal refills so the normal refill wouldn't slide in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: (leobee)

approx how many miles you should go till you change your wiper blades ??
I have abt 20k on my car and it sometimes squeeks

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: (al820)

I would recommend once a year. It's not really about miles, it's about the rubber breaking down under sunlight and oxygen, pollution etc. Since it's a basic safety item, I don't think twice about doing it. Personally.

Tom.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Save $45 on new OEM Wiper Blades (ewizzle)

Any store/brand recommendation for the 26" blade?

Got the passengers side replaced (great instructions BTW), but just could not find any place with 26 narrow (or 28, woulda cut one of those down).

·
Registered
2 Posts

Wow, those were great instructions!

Now, I want to install some PIAA silicone blades in the Valeo holders. There have been a couple posts regarding the unsuitableness of the Valeo blade for snow and winter driving. I have used Aerospace 303 Protectant on my blades and have found it works well with Rain-X'ed windows and keeps the blades a little fresher longer. The downside is that you have to use it every two months or so, and wipe it all over the blade. It can help reduce some of the icing in the winter.

Thank you for a really well done posting.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Save $45 on new OEM Wiper Blades (eddynas)

I had no problem taking apart a cheaop Anco blade and sliding it on the short side but I could not slide the long blade on it just got WAY too tight.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: Save $45 on new OEM Wiper Blades (Oldman)

Trico 45-200 and 45-260 sold at Checker Auto Parts fit fine. I just replaced the short one and it went in so easy that I have no doubt that the longer one will fit too. The 26" refill is on order, should get it next week.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I did it today since my 3 yr old rubber wasn't working well. In the past I've changed rubber every year, just before winter, but been lazy with the S40 since I don't use the wipers much, just in the winter mostly when using the wiper fluid, I use Rain-X year 'round.

Anyway, thanks very much for sharing your expertise Ewizzle. I also got the Trico refills. I had to look a while to find some that would fit. I got 28" & cut 2" off. Just for the benefit of other readers, I removed the rubber from the new refill, discarding the clips and metal pieces. Even so I had to buy refills that are wider than the OE, (the part that slides into the recess of the blade backing). I got it to fit, but I really had to work on it to slide it in, a little bit at a time. These were a bit wide, and I found some (Amoco?) that were too narrow. I hope next time I can find ones where the width is equal to the OE rubber (the Advanced Auto salesman said something about the OEs being 7 mm and the Tricos being 8 mm - but the slide-in parts look about 2 mm less than 7 or 8 mm).

·
Registered
23 Posts

Did this today, taking your write up as a reference and it worked like a charm.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I just did this using the Trico 47-800" cut to fit". It went well. Not bad for $7.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: Save $45 on new OEM Wiper Blades (volvo3355)

I guess ill be trying this ... I know rain-X make a blade out here thats supposed to be awsome so ill give it a shot .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why use them (Wipers)?

The blades last forever if you don't use them.
RainX your windshield regularly and simply let the water bead off.
The harder it rains the faster you should go to keep the windshield clear

Seriously, if you do use RainX, the blades last way longer, do not squeak and you really do not need the wipers most of the time.
The only thing that should/does damage blades is ice.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I tried this like 2 times on my wipers... ended up buying bosch aerotwin original ones, because the squeaking with the aftermarket blades got on my nerves...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Re: (crossie)

By the way, I realised a few weeks back that the clip at the end of the wiper blade for my car is gone. Don't know why but it still works fine. I last changed my wipers almost 3 years ago (seriously!)

They still sweep clean enough but I will be changing them soon because the passenger one leaves a 0.5 inch streak in the middle. Going to try cleaning the blade this weekend to see if it works. If it doesn't I'll retire them.

·
Registered
5 Posts

This was first posted in 2006 and a lot has changed. You can now get new beam blades for about $12-$14 each and not go through the hassle if you don't want to.

Where is everyone getting the refills? I can't find them in Wisconsin!?!?

Also, if you do go with new blades rather than refills, make sure to lookup your volvo in an application guide or computer box so you get not only the right length but the right attachment. You can also look this up online by searching "lookup wiper size" or something like that.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 31 Posts