SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, nice site. Glad to see a nice S60 forum. I am not an S60 driver, but considering one for my next car. I come from a long line of Ford products in my family, all RWD, and have driven Mustangs almost my entire life (have two now, but selling my GT cov't to get a sedan).

I am now looking for a family sedan and on the list of possibilities is the Lincoln LS and the Volvo S60. Since I am in the northeast, an AWD S60 might be a wiser decision. I loved the drive of both, but the LS honestly felt a little more luxurious.

What I am really trying to find out is what can I expect of an S60, mainly from a performance/reliability standpoint? My one 1990 5.0 LX Mustang has 170K on the odometer and I haven't had to do much more than oil changes and tune ups. not bad for an american car, really, but a nice testament to the small block Ford.

Is everyone here enthralled with owning their S60's? Any regrets? Any ideas what to look out for when buying one? I am looking mainly at 02-03 bodies and have seen everything from the 2.4T to the T5, however the only one I have driven was my mother in law's 2005 2.5T AWD. I honestly felt a little bit of a lack of power on the bottom end, but in the midrange with the turbo kicking it I really felt the power kick in. Pretty impressive nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Satisfied with your S60? (eeprete)

A front drive is fine in Long Island winter, done that. But you may like the AWD better coming from rear drives. The T5 has even bigger difference in low end and mid-range torque than the 2.5T, but it flies after 3000rpm. The 2002 or newer cars are rather solid. Search the discussions for transmission and ETM. They seem to be causing the most problems in the early models. There can also be clunks from bad links, bushings and some such, but these are all well-know at this time and there are known fixes such as heavy duty sway bar end links and Powerflex bushings.

But it's fairly sure that a used S60 will need more than just oil changes, an extended warranty is very useful to have. The LS luxury is only skin deep, the interior materials in Volvo are nicer in the long run.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I'm in Northern NJ and got AWD just in case the weather gets bad enough.
Mine is an '05. I'm just about to turn 10,000 miles after 13 months.
Have had no problems so far. Very solid feeling ride. Performance and braking are very good. Take a test drive and compare to other choices you are considering.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Satisfied with your S60? (Mika)

Simple thing that will need replacing on a regular basis:
1. Timing belt - 70-105,000 miles - DO NOT skimp here, if a belt breaks, it is total engine rebuild on this interference engine.
2. Electronic Throttle module on all 2001 and non torbu 2002. Volvo has an extended warranty of 200,000 miles, or 10 years. It will need replacing.
3. Torque mount on top of engine will need replacing, but not a high cost item.
4. A/C may be a problem on some cars, doesn't seem to be a big problem.
5. REGULAR oil, oil filter and trans fluid (automatic only), not like american iron, you'll regret not changing it.
6. bushings on top of front struts, and the sway bar links, particularly on the front, can cause problems as they age, primarily creaking, groaning, clunks. Not hard to replace particularly, but an area to watch.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
for me, the T5 is the best car on my garage after different cars. Is fast, great gas m, power of course i really recommend you the 5 speed manual, very funny to drive

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

love it. here's why:
1. Amazing gas mileage (especially when combined with synthetic oil, but even without). Highway fuel efficiency in my 2.5T with synthetic oil is 6.5 litres/100km - simply awesome for a car this size
2. Super comfortable on long road trips - nothing beats Volvo seats
3. Has a much more solid and grounded feel than most other vehicles, solid planted feeling in rain and snow (for comparison I've driven several dozen different car models - rental cars on business trips)
4. The body styling is beautiful
5. far cheaper than a 5 series for same size car.
6. so easy to run the AC controls - just dial in temp for each passenger and you're done. So much easier than the combination of buttons and adjusters in BMW (my other car - which has worst climate control system on planet)

BTW you can fix the low end turbo-lag feel a bit by using a high flow air filter like a K&N. $40

only regret - not going for the AWD - winter gets pretty crazy here

·
Registered
530 Posts

I only have 33K miles on my 02 S60. As far as reliability - it has been great, only some small warranty issues. Most of which were solved with a software download. My dealership is outstanding and I have little motivation to stray from Volvo for any car purchase. Stock tires were a major disappointment in nearly all driving conditions. Was never so happy when a set of tires needed to be replaced!! Not the best performaning front wheel drive car I ever had in the snow, but it is adequate. Seems like this car would do much better if I moved from all-seasons to dedicated tires in the winter. True statement for any car, but I found this even more so in the S60. I lived in New England for 9 years with nothing but FWD Hondas with good all seasons and had no problems (execpt in freezing rain as with everybody else). But, we don't get that much snow here in York, PA to deal with switching tires twice a year.

Any regrets? - yes. If the car were only intended for my commute it would be fine. However, if you need any functionality out of the back seat (kids, friends, etc.), forget about it as a family sedan. S60 and family sedan are oxymorons, in my opinion. Very cramped back seat/leg room combined with non-ergonomic back seat entrance. I did not apprecate these facts when I purchased because I was by myself and did not examine backseat area in great detail. Wrongly assumed it was like the S70...

All in all - I find it a very nice, reliable car with no major problems - except it is not as functional as I would like. Good luck with your decision!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Satisfied with your S60? (samulsoon_0503)

My 02 2.4T has about 27K on it and has been nearly perfect. A great pleasure on the highway and long trips. I chose the FWD and have no regrets, living in the NY metro area. The balance of power, comfort and efficiency is excellent- more than you can tell by looking at specifications alone. And it's beautiful to look at every day.

Adjusting to the electronic throttle can take a little getting used to in stop and go traffic, but this may have improved in later model years. Significant upgrades have been made to the steering, suspension, engine and more since the start; I would look for an 03+ if possible. The 60 is a heavy car for its size, which is why you really need one of the turbo versions- especially with an automatic transmission- but my impression is that unless you get a T5 or an R, you will never feel like you're driving a sports car. The stock tires do seem to be engineered for long life rather than maximum traction.

I have never driven an LS, but am guessing the suspension is "softer" than the Volvo. See if you can get to drive both for a day or two and really feel the differences. Hertz used to rent certain Volvo models... If you like the driving dynamics of the 60 and find a dealer with a good reputation for service, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Satisfied with your S60? (volvair)

Love the car overall, but the little creaks and rattles make it feel cheaper than it is, and really pissed me off after spending 30K.

·
Registered
746 Posts

Like my car a lot, only complaints are low grade plastics, belly roll cornering, dead horse in the steering collum, and semi - at times - jerky transmission. I'll be doing a sway bar upgrade this summer so that should knock out two of the aforementioned issues. The others will play out in time w/ servicing and future maintainece. I plan on keeping my car through the rest of college and perhaps sometime there after. After I've had my run I'll only upgrade to either a 3er or new model S60, provided that it's far more engaging to drive than this car. Overall the P2 S60 is one great euro(um should I say it? ok) sports sedan. It's fairly reliable, and cheap to run, ultra smooth w/ great seats and nice acceleration w/ out too much turbo lag. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts