SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Satchel's V60 RD (Anti) Build & Photo Thread

On Tuesday, my 6 month+ search for a V60 ended with the purchase of a Certified Pre-Owned V60 T6 R-Design Platinum in Black Sapphire Metallic. It has 21,500 on the Odometer, and assuming in turns out to be the vehicle I hope it is, I plan to put another 180k or so on it over the next decade plus.

Why (Anti) Build? Because this vehicle in its stock form will likely keep me entertained for a good while, and My P2 XC70 is keeping me busy project-wise. This means there won't be much "building" so to speak for the time being. BUT. You know how it goes. Nothing can stay stock forever can it? The only add-Ons off the lot were OEM mud flaps and the OEM bumper protector; Nice and useful details.

Also Photography? Yes. Lots of it. I've had a blast documenting my adventure wagon, and see no reason this car won't make just as good a subject. It'll take me a minute to get a feel for how to shoot it best as its a very different beast than my offroad XC, but that'll be part of the fun.

This afternoon I was able to steal a couple of hours to get out for a drive and a quick "get to know Ya" shoot in the mountains. This was an exercise in getting to know the cars angles and features as much as anything else. I basically shot it like I was going to show the pictures to someone who had never seen one before. While of course all of you HAVE seen a few--and then some--I hope you'll enjoy a fresh eye on the RD.

Oh. It's dirty. I don't apologize for that. My cars get used and get dirty. It also has dealer bull**** still on it. It'll come off when my plates come. So without further ado....

IN SITU

EXTERIOR DETAILS

INTERIOR VIEWS

First impressions, random thoughts, and desired mods to follow.

Stay locked in.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Congrats! Nice car, nice pics. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Looks awesome, glad you finally got one bud!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice shots! Looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Congrats! Good pics too. You will enjoy this car, great choice

·
Registered
112 Posts
Beautiful. Love the RD stitched into the seat backs on the 2015.0's. Enjoy yours as we do ours and thanks for great pics.!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yas, yas, yaaaassss!! The car is absolutely gorgeous. These photo's will indeed impress my friend. So happy for you Satchel!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm about stock as well. When in my 20's I had a couple VW's modified too far, the latter having a VR6 with Vortech blower. It became a headache in the end and I sold the parts then the car. Between then and my VR purchase I drove appliance cars (stock Honda Accord, etc) and now that I have a fun car I enjoy it for what Volvo made it. Honestly if I wanted something more powerful I would get something newer. This car was about its uniqueness factor. Cheers man!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love the stitching on the backs of the seat. I wish I had that on my 16. Did they only do that for the 15-15.5 ??

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A big thanks to all of you who chimed in with congratulations and compliments on the photographs; much appreciated!

As for the seat stitching, I believe that went the way of the dodo with MY '15 but someone more knowledgeable may know otherwise. I'm not the biggest fan of it aesthetically TBH, but I recognize it's a cool detail to have.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Love the stitching on the backs of the seat. I wish I had that on my 16. Did they only do that for the 15-15.5 ??

Here's the years for all the different seat backs:
2012-2013 (2010-2013 XC60, 2010 V70) The 'R-Design' was embossed in the seat backs
2014-2015 The 'R-Design' was stitched in the seat backs
2015.5-2016 (2016 the 'R-Design' was removed from the front grille) No more 'R-Design' in the seat backs
2015.5-2017 Polestar's get the 'Polestar Logo' embossed in the seats backs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here's the years for all the different seat backs:
2012-2013 (2010-2013 XC60, 2010 V70) The 'R-Design' was embossed in the seat backs
2014-2015 The 'R-Design' was stitched in the seat backs
2015.5-2016 (2016 the 'R-Design' was removed from the front grille) No more 'R-Design' in the seat backs
2015.5-2017 Polestar's get the 'Polestar Logo' embossed in the seats backs
Good info! Just want to add that the 2016 front grill was also changed to gloss black. The 2016 XC90 R-Design also has the embossed logo in the seats. That makes you wonder someone at Volvo made these kind of decisions every year and what's the rationale behind it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was just thinking the same thing, crazy how one has it and the other doesn't. My wife's 2016 XC90 RD has it like you said. Don't understand there reasoning.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FIRST WEEK . . . FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

As mentioned in my initial post, I took delivery of the vehicle in Annapolis on Tuesday, and as of today, have spent about 5 days with it. One thing is immediately clear: The car is an absolute pleasure to drive! I've put about 650 miles on the Odometer since leaving the lot, and have had a grin on my face 95% of the time. My trip home from the dealer was exhausting but nearly entirely traffic free thanks to Google's savy route Choice around the 95 corridor. I didn't even bother to try the RDs in-car NAV as I bet you dollars-to-donuts it would have had me smack dab in the rush hour traffic **** in no time.

On the highway, it's a quiet and composed ride. The cabin is a nice place to be, and once I messed with all the EQ controls, the sound system worked pretty well for my needs. I listen to a lot of music with heavy bass and look forward to experimenting with the EQ a bit to get the best results.

To say this car has plenty of passing power is an understatement. A quick blinker to the left and a touch of the accelerator and its flying. It's possible that I might have allegedly driven it 105mph on the way home and it felt like doing about 65 in the XC70. But don't quote me on that ;-)

Once back home in the Hudson Valley, I began letting it loose in sport on the mountain backroads. Flick the shift knob to the left and it changes character. It's still composed, but feels a bit feistier. Revs get higher and hold as you push it, shifts are faster, and there's a pleasing snarl from the T6 as it boosts and surges forward. The car could REALLY use a proper exhaust though! I was Super happy to drive it in sport in my neck of the woods as the roads are far more suited for it then the Annapolis suburbs with their constant stop signs and 45mph limits. I'm really looking forward to getting to know this side of the car intimately

Steering feel is decent but not great. Feels a little bit disconnected at times. I've not yet driven it in the "firm" setting and will be giving that a try soon. I might blame the somewhat lackluster road feel in this department on the tires, but I've gotta spend some more time with them first. The stock brakes could be way better in my opinion. Not bad per se, but certainly not as confidence-inspiring as I might have hoped for a heavy wagon that has this much power.

Cabin seems mostly solid, though it may soon develop some creaks in the trim given the roads around here. With all music off and no conversation occasional mild, light clicks from the interior can be heard over bumps. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse of course as those are annoying; but thankfully I'm not the type to obsess too much about that. With 140k My XC has creaks galore and I still enjoy it. Our own Starbuck would probably be going batty in that thing Hahahaha

I did notice two long, light scratches in the clear coat on the roof that I missed at the dealership. Looks like the previous owner probably put it through a carwash with brushes as that's exactly the type of light scratches those things make when dirt gets stuck in their bristles. It's seeing brushless or hand wash ONLY from here on out. The curb rash on the wheels is a little worse than initially observed. He or she managed to curb all 4 wheels. I've been carefully parking a good foot from the sidewalk so as not to do further damage. If I'd been more observant on-location , maybe I could have squeezed a set off all-weather rubber floor mats out of the deal Hahahaha. It is what it is though, not mad at all.

I've gotta say, My least favorite thing about new Volvos is the leather upholstery. While as I said, this one is in decent shape, it's remarkable to me how much less resilient the newer leather is than that seen on their older cars. The old leather in my P2 is thick, supple, and full-grained; it wears to a nice patina over time. the new stuff by contrast is thin, seems brittle, and almost looks like bonded leather to me (meaning it's reconstituted) or something? It seems like it develops creases quickly, and lacks the rich patina of previous generations. this was something I already observed going in, so not a thing wrong with this particular car. I'm curious to hear other folks thoughts and experience on this.

I don't find the R-design interior particularly "luxurious", but I'm not a guy who's buying a volvo for that reason. That said, it's certainly nice enough, and there are some useful and convenient touches in comparison to my P2 such as the fold-console in the rear seat area, the integrated load cover in the cargo area, and the interior accent lighting (really like that for some reason!). Overall it has the quiet, restrained Scandinavian feel that now makes me feel at home. I was surprised how easily I was able to figure out all the controls on the fly without having to ask or consult the manual. Always a plus! I've yet to really dig into the "my car" menu at all, so I'll have to see what customization is available in that regard that I may find useful. For taller shoppers I'll say this: at a lanky 6'3", I'm about Maxing out the drivers seat. Half an inch taller and it might have been a problem. Wish it didn't have a sunroof; more headroom!

The exterior is pretty pretty good. I do wish it was a little less bubbly lookin (a good friend has nicknamed it "the jellybean" mostly cuZ he's jealous) but it has enough of a definite shape to it to stand out from the other doughy, boring cars on the road. I'll say that it's "good angles" are really ****ing good though. Sexy and mean in equal measure. I'm looking forward to photographing it more. One minor note: the door handles feel kind of cheap to me when I pull them. Quite light and plasticy. Noticed it immediately, but clearly it wasn't enough of a deterrent.

Well, that's about all for first impressions. More as they arise of course.

Next up, some thoughts on OEM and Aftermarket accessories or performance mods I might like to add in the years to come......

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I didn't even bother to try the RDs in-car NAV as I bet you dollars-to-donuts it would have had me smack dab in the rush hour traffic **** in no time.
Don't be so quick to put this system down...

For the past 18 months, I have driven almost nothing but V60s (one S80 for a quick 2-month stint, in-between). I have had 4 V60 R-designs and 1 V60 Polestar. I drive close to 30,000 miles per year and, sometimes, in some of the most congested metro area in North America; the Nav system has never betrayed me, has rerouted me through some unbelievable traffic jams due to either construction or accidents...I have always trusted it and it has only failed me once, and that is probably because I was not paying attention and missed the last possible exit before a huge pile up on US 101 North in the middle of Los Angeles.

The car could REALLY use a proper exhaust though!
I could not agree more. I think the lack of sport exhaust was a huge miss...However, you now have options...

Steering feel is decent but not great. Feels a little bit disconnected at times. I've not yet driven it in the "firm" setting and will be giving that a try soon.
I agree although I did get used to the medium setting. However, I have enjoyed the V60 R-designs more with the firm setting and I think you should definitely change it to that.

Next up, some thoughts on OEM and Aftermarket accessories or performance mods I might like to add in the years to come......
Contact a Polestar-authorized Volvo retailer and inquire about the upcoming Polestar parts; I think you will like the sport exhaust from the Polestar models! :cool:

One last thing; if you want to enhance the handling, switch from 18" wheels to 19" wheels. Quite a difference.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I really enjoy your XC70 thread. I'll be keeping an eye on this one as well. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't be so quick to put this system down...

For the past 18 months, I have driven almost nothing but V60s (one S80 for a quick 2-month stint, in-between). I have had 4 V60 R-designs and 1 V60 Polestar. I drive close to 30,000 miles per year and, sometimes, in some of the most congested metro area in North America; the Nav system has never betrayed me, has rerouted me through some unbelievable traffic jams due to either construction or accidents...I have always trusted it and it has only failed me once, and that is probably because I was not paying attention and missed the last possible exit before a huge pile up on US 101 North in the middle of Los Angeles.
I hear you on that. Can't knock it til you've tried it I suppose. Given that i'd been up since 5:30am with my boys, and didn't anticipate returning home until 1am the following morning, i defaulted to a service I know and trust already as I simply didn't have energy to experiment with something new at the time. I've also heard conflicting reports of the native Navigation system's skill level when it comes to real-time traffic. I'll test it out on some of the local routes im familiar with and see how it does.

I could not agree more. I think the lack of sport exhaust was a huge miss...However, you now have options...
Glad we agree on this

I agree although I did get used to the medium setting. However, I have enjoyed the V60 R-designs more with the firm setting and I think you should definitely change it to that

I'll give that a shot today and report back. Not sure WHY I haven't changed it yet as I tend to prefer a firmer wheel and am always frustrated by the flighty steering in my XC.

Contact a Polestar-authorized Volvo retailer and inquire about the upcoming Polestar parts; I think you will like the sport exhaust from the Polestar models! :cool:

One last thing; if you want to enhance the handling, switch from 18" wheels to 19" wheels. Quite a difference.
I actually asked Annapolis Volvo about pricing on the performance parts during the purchase process. They have several cars on the lot, and are otherwise very knowledgeable about Polestar, so I was surprised to hear their sales manager had no price list to quote from. I even referred to Johann's comments about an early April release of pricing internationally, which they acknowledged they had heard, but had yet to receive definitive numbers from up top. No big deal. All that swag is too expensive for me right now anyway also, isn't the Polestar Sport Exhaust Drive-E only???

On your second point, my hope is to swap these all seasons which should be about kicked by thanksgiving for a good set of snows, and then follow with a fresh set of 19s with summers for spring 2017! We'll see how that goes. Gotta make the monies before I spend them

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really enjoy your XC70 thread. I'll be keeping an eye on this one as well. Congrats!

Thanks man! Glad to hear you've liked my progress on the XC so far. I'd warn you that this car will definitely not be as radical a build out for several reasons, but I imagine you've already guessed that.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Nice reads Satch! Have to say that I agree with most of your thoughts except maybe the seat surfaces. I think they are a nice compromise in order to achieve comfort, support and durability, but mine are still young, so we'll see how they are in a few years. By comparison, my wife had a 2007 S40 T5 with the black leather that had the obvious hide grain and perhaps more give/suppleness in the cushion, yet they showed excessive fine white wear lines after only a few years. My biggest complaints with the RD seats is that they are a bit too narrow (for muscle-bound guys ;)) and the seat bottom is a bit short for those with longer legs. Oh, and they also don't lower enough, so you feel like you're perched somewhat high (at lowest setting) and your head is unnecessarily too close to the headliner for this sized car. I'm 6'1", so I can imagine you're feeling a bit cramped. I never had this issue with my smaller 2006 A4 Avant. Otherwise, the seats are as comfortable and supportive as I've driven. Long road trips in these seats have not wrecked my back like many other car seats.

I agree with what Yannis said about the 19" tire difference. You will experience more feel than the 18" (w/ 235/45-18 tires). I think my 19" with 245/40-19 Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus all seasons have been a great all round set-up. Btw, I have my steering resistance set at high (heavy) to help road feel and add stability since the Pirelli's have less rolling resistance than the OEM's. I only wish the low speed variance was greater when in the high setting, for lighter steering during parking lot maneuvering (it has variable steering).

As for the navigation, make sure ya have the latest update loaded. You'll want to update the registration with HERE and check that you have at least through the second free nav update, probably 2015?

HERE here ;) : https://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-VolvoNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=ytsKCghBg38AAAFAUMF3JHeX&ShowAllProducts=YES

Also update the registration on your Polestar software when you get a chance: https://www.polestar.com/us/products/register-your-product/

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Subscribed. Nice car! I'm a little jealous...

1 - 20 of 204 Posts