SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Departing tomorrow to start our 1st OSD journey and having problems checking in online for SAS. Unable to locate my information with check-in but able to with find bookings. But get a prompt to Fill in mandatory passenger information which is already there. SAS phone line is currently closed so need to call on my way to airport.

Anybody else have this problem? OR do you need to check-in at SAS hub in Chicago or Newark at counter or kiosk?

I have already checked into my Domestic US flight with United, do they check me in to all my flights as its a different carrier by Star Alliance Partner?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
We could not check in online using the code that Corp travel gave us. Corp travel could not either when I called them. It did work fine when we used the UA kiosk at our first airport. THE kiosk scanned our passports....so that may be why you can't do it all online. We got UA and SAS boarding passes from that kiosk.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
check in

We also had this problem, but we could not check in at our local airport (for the SAS portion) and had to wait until we got to Newark. If it wouldn't have been for Optiontown we would not have been able to sit together. SAS had us in dozens of rows apart. This particular piece of the OSD program needs to be improved upon. Hopefully BA will allow one to self assign seats and check in early online. It is 2012 after all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Waiting at e airport now. Checked in at airport and had passports scanned and printed boarding passes for domestic and SAS flight to Chicago to Stockholm flights. Do not have Stockholm to GOT tickets yet but hope I can get these in Chicago with SAS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
...If it wouldn't have been for Optiontown we would not have been able to sit together. SAS had us in dozens of rows apart. This particular piece of the OSD program needs to be improved upon. ...
Interesting. I got seat assignments from Volvo Corp Travel when I made our flight arrangements. That included domestic flights on United and the SAS international flights. I am glad to hear though that Optiontown got you seats together. We are hoping to get an Optiontown upgrade.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Optiontown

I have to say that Optiontown was a great experience. We were upgraded to Economy Plus going over, which wasn't bad. Coming back we ended up in the first two seats in Business and the experience was great. It does make the trip over and back a little easier. Make sure you let the flight crew know, somehow, that you are picking up a Volvo in Sweden. We did, they were thrilled, and we felt like we received a little "extra nice" treatment.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I have to say that Optiontown was a great experience. We were upgraded to Economy Plus going over, which wasn't bad. Coming back we ended up in the first two seats in Business and the experience was great. It does make the trip over and back a little easier. Make sure you let the flight crew know, somehow, that you are picking up a Volvo in Sweden. We did, they were thrilled, and we felt like we received a little "extra nice" treatment.
Interesting.....I would not have thought of sharing that info.......thanks for the heads up!!!

BTW.....how do you like the Caspian Blue/Beige color combo? What color is the stiching on the seats???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. Going to pick up car tomorrow.

You have too check-in for Stockholm to gotenburg flight in terminal 4. It's a ways away, I say a brisk 20-30 not factoring if u have to wait for luggage. Had a 3 hr layover so n concern but if you had the 1 hr transfer, I would not recommend going into any gift shops.

GOT airport transfer was great and 15 mins to hotel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Our flight to Stockholm in 2008 arrived (terminal 5) at 7:15 am and the departure (terminal 4) to Gothenburg was 8:20 am. We really had to hustle to get from one terminal to the other and check-in for the flight. Luckily our luggage was checked through to Gothenburg so we didn’t have to worry about that. We’re taking the same flight to Stockholm for OSD 2 but this time the flight to Gothenburg is at 8:10 am. Looks like we’ll have to move even faster, having 10 less minutes between the flights than last time.

Was the airport transfer complimentary of Volvo?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
BTW.....how do you like the Caspian Blue/Beige color combo? What color is the stiching on the seats???[/QUOTE]

It is working out just fine. The stitching is the same color as the seats, you really don't even notice it. With white dogs the sandstone tends to hide the dust and hair. While I like the look of the black interior it would never work for us for that reason. The exterior color seems to be a bird doo-doo magnet though. We've never really had this problem with cars before. We now carry a bottle of water around for the quick removal. Sadly, though, we have had several spots that baked in before we could get them off and now the cc is etched. It doesn't help that we're going into a couple of days with predicted highs at 108.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to say that Optiontown was a great experience. We were upgraded to Economy Plus going over, which wasn't bad.QUOTE]

Considering signing up with Optiontown. How many days before your flight did you get notified that you had been upgraded?

·
Registered
257 Posts
How many days before your flight did you get notified that you had been upgraded?

On our flight from Dulles to CPH we were notified about 12 hours ahead. On our flight from CPH to Dulles, only about 5 hours ahead. Website say 4 to 72 hours in advance of flight [the transatlantic one].

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
mcohvolvo: We got upgraded to Business Class (fancy section) ORD to CPH and Economy Plus (mid-grade) CPH to ORD. IIRC, we had about 2 days notice of the upgrade going over and about 18 hours on the way back.

Even if you don't get the email, you'll find out when you check in for the flight.

It was totally worth the cost to us, the big negative is that we may have gotten spoiled.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
From my experience Corporate Travel books the tickets with SAS, that is the ticket numbers start with 117 which includes any connecting flight on United you may have. There's also a 6-character PNR for the reservation in SAS's system ... but I had the same problem trying to access my itineary given the booking info Corp Travel provided.

If you have a connecting flight on UA the ticket numbers will still reflect SAS (which is somewhat unusual as more often than not the ticket numbers will be issued from the first airline you fly on even if you fly on different carriers for the second, third, etc. segments). You'll have a different PNR for the United reservation system.

For my most recent OSD I booked my travel early in 2012 with Corp Travel which included the first and last segements being on United (the real United, pre-merger United). Then United did a migration to Continental's reservation system in the beginning of March. That resulted in a TON of problems for us ... including indicators when we checked into our first United flight that paper tickets were issued (wrong) ... and our last flight (on UA) where there were duplicate records (and it took over 30 minutes to fix - glad we had enough time at the airport).

SAS only pre-assigns seats on the trans-Atlantic segments of the flights and flights within Europe you have to get your seat assignments when you check in. (Unless you have status as a frequent flier on SAS.) I find that a bit frustrating as I'm tall and always use seatguru to pick a place I want to sit (comfortably).

On our outbound international flight it was booked solid and the Optiontown upgrade did not come through. We thought we were sitting in some decent seats as assigned by Corp Travel but when we got into IAD Washington Dulles and checked in with SAS they gave us seats in the back of the bus. I showed the paperwork to the gate agent and he said that happens a lot. As a nearly four decade frequent flier I found that pretty hard to believe ... that Corp Travel (or any travel agent) assigned seats weren't valid. Needless to say it wasn't a good flight eastbound.

On our return the Optiontown upgrade came through and they assigned acceptable seats - which is what we also got when checking in.

Indeed SAS does not provide 24x7 telephone support in the US. Doesn't make sense to ... they really don't have all that many flights so the hours are limited. I did try to call them twice during normal call hours but didn't bother waiting on hold. If you need to talk to SAS - another alternative is to call one of the numbers in Scandinavia. This would be especially easy if you have a phone service like Vonage where the international long distance cost is low or nill.

HTH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts