SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I picked up an older set of 760 alloys at Carlisle whose finish is quite bad, but they're all fairly straight and undamaged otherwise. I was thinking of having them sandblasted somewhere and respraying them myself as I want to do these on the cheap. Any ideas in the DC area where I might get them sand blasted or do you know of any more preferred method?<P>Also, anybody know of a good powdercoating company that isn't too expensive?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think you'll want to have them bead blasted instead. It's not as harsh, and it won't damage the alloy. Did you end up getting the Nova wheels from Brian that included two from a burned car?<P>I bought my first set of Virgo wheels partially stripped, so I continued the process using a spray-on foaming stripper. It worked well in breaking down the finish, but it took a lot of scraping to get it off and later some sanding to get them smooth. On my most recent set, I just wet sanded with 220 grit, then 400 grit, cleaned, and painted. This was much quicker and easier. I'd be curious to know how much it costs to bead blast a set of wheels.<P>I've heard that some shops that refinish metal furniture may be able to powder coat wheels inexpensively (compared to wheel shops). I've never gotten a price, however.<BR><P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Hey George,<BR>If you find the right place to do this, let us know. I might share this news with my cousin, he might want to do something like that for his 240's wheels or maybe for the homie's chromey.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_one_n_only:<BR><B>...he might want to do something like that for his...homie's chromey.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Those would look great in dark grey, like the Titans.<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was the Novas. I traded him some parts I had for all 5. Near as I can tell, only one of them is bent, so that's not too bad. I know of a wheel refinishing place up in Elkridge, MD. I may stop in and see what they'd charge me to either strip or strip and refinish, plus I think I'm going to have that bend taken out. I may call Wheel Collision Center also, but I really don't want to invest much in these wheels.<P>The fronts are machined, but I don't think I'll be remachining them. I'd prefer to do a full painted setup. I'll probably go bright silver, though they would look good in anthracite.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe to straighten the one, but I have new news. We're very good friends with a shop up in Aberdeen, MD that is a VW tuner. They have the tools I need to blast the wheels, I'll just need to buy the material to blast with, but I've found a source....Eastwood.<P>I think a couple of us are going to go in together to buy one of their jet hot coat painters and oven that the VW tuner will keep at their shop and I'll be able to have periodic access too. This way I can refinish the wheels and any other miscellaneous parts for the car (roof rack, engine and suspension parts, etc etc.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts