SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chasing a bit of a problem and wondering what others with a scan gauge get for voltage

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that was it. These modern cars just don't like low voltage. I was running 12.5 to 13,2 with a yellow waning in Vida ( ACM) Alternator control module . Reduced my boost level by 4 lbs all weekend at the race.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Voltage regulator going bad sir.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
With the engine running a little above 1K RPM you should be getting about 14V or more.
I agree, I'm about 13.6-13.8v at idle, and above 2000 rpm I'm over 14v.

This is pretty typical, most alternators are designed to make max voltage at around 2000 rpm so it's putting out max voltage at cruising speed.

We have a fairly big alternator for OEM, these cars have a ton of electrical draw even stock. If you wanted to upgrade the alternator Ron, I was able to find a company that builds high output alternators for Volvos. May be something to think about if you have a lot of aftermarket electrical stuff in you car.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Justin - I'd be interested in a large alternator if they're reasonably priced. These cars clearly need voltage based on Ron's experience.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I will look around and see if I can find the link. I looked at them when I stared putting aftermarket car audio into the car, and was surprised that some one makes a plug and play high out put alternator for our cars.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, I'm about 13.6-13.8v at idle, and above 2000 rpm I'm over 14v.

This is pretty typical, most alternators are designed to make max voltage at around 2000 rpm so it's putting out max voltage at cruising speed.

We have a fairly big alternator for OEM, these cars have a ton of electrical draw even stock. If you wanted to upgrade the alternator Ron, I was able to find a company that builds high output alternators for Volvos. May be something to think about if you have a lot of aftermarket electrical stuff in you car.
Thanks Justin I would like the info. I don't have a lot of draw but due to heat soak the car is started a lot with not a lot of run time. Going to figure out how to run the fan to keep engine bay temps low

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Maybe a dougy hood vent!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If you have the older ScanGauge II like I do did you see that for $25 you can send it back to be updated with all the new performance calculators? One of the first things I'm going to do once I get back to CO.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/upgrade/

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Unplug the AC pressure switch and the rad fan will run from startup to shutdown at full tilt.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I bet they make them for both style alternator, just want to make sure the new alt. they build for you matches the one you are taking off the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts