SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really surprised that the sales of the v40 is so slow and that the factory has been adjusted to lower the capacity; take a look at the success of the new A-class which has nothing above the v40 except that its a Mercedes!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-mercedes-class-orders-boom

There must be something that Volvo is doing wrong, be it marketing or something else.

What is your opinion?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
From what I recall... The A200 CDI is much faster than the V40 D2. And it costs less. And yes, it has that three-point star.

·
Registered
113 Posts
V40 is so far selling very well, above Volvo's expectations.
Production of S60 is being partly moved to Gothenburg to free production capacity in Gent for the V40.

It's obviously not going to beat the Merc sales - but just because the A-classe seems to be Merc's most successful model release ever - that doesn't automatically mean that it's better than the V40, or that V40 sales are bad.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V40 is so far selling very well, above Volvo's expectations.
Production of S60 is being partly moved to Gothenburg to free production capacity in Gent for the V40.

It's obviously not going to beat the Merc sales - but just because the A-classe seems to be Merc's most successful model release ever - that doesn't automatically mean that it's better than the V40, or that V40 sales are bad.

I hope what youre saying about the sales of the v40 is true coz we havent seen any info from volvo that the sales are goin well or "above expectations", when usually they always mention that fact...

By the way all 3 premium hatchbacks are already on sale in my country except the v40 which will be on sale in January, yes January!!!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
By the way all 3 premium hatchbacks are already on sale in my country except the v40 which will be on sale in January, yes January!!!
Same goes for Greece. Obviously, with the current supply and demand, most V40s are heading to the biggest markets. Smaller markets will get them in a few months.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same goes for Greece. Obviously, with the current supply and demand, most V40s are heading to the biggest markets. Smaller markets will get them in a few months.
This is just bad planning; volvo is desperate for sales and it is consciously neglecting markets where it can sell so well; the A3 and 1 series is so successful here and many people are already in line for the A-class.

Yannis, exactly what is the demand/supply situation for the v40? Are they really shifting capacity to produce more v40 because I do not see signs that they will sell more than the projected 70.000 units within one year?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This is just bad planning; volvo is desperate for sales and it is consciously neglecting markets where it can sell so well; the A3 and 1 series is so successful here and many people are already in line for the A-class.

Yannis, exactly what is the demand/supply situation for the v40? Are they really shifting capacity to produce more v40 because I do not see signs that they will sell more than the projected 70.000 units within one year?
It is not bad planning. The car has not been launched globally, yet, therefore the bigger markets got the first/earlier orders. Currently, the global order bank for the V40/V40XC is extremely close to that of the A-class and that says a lot if you consider Mercedes-Benz's magnitude and resources.

At the same time, I am told that the fit and finish of the V40 is far superior to that of the A-class. I have not seen either car, in reality, but I am told this by a couple very reliable sources.

And, yes, the primary reason some S60 production was shifted to the Torslanda plant is to free up additional production slots at the Ghent plant, for the V40 and V40XC.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
I am told that the fit and finish of the V40 is far superior to that of the A-class. I have not seen either car, in reality, but I am told this by a couple very reliable sources.
Frankly I found the interior quality of the V40 to be sub par. This is also the reason I have mentioned that Mr. Jacoby wasn't telling what customers see in the showroom.
V40 is a nice car but the material choices are not what many consider to be premium. Have not seen a T5 in real yet, hope it is less plastic.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have to say that I spent some time a few days ago driving a V40 and looking over it with some other Volvo owners and for my part I found its interior quite tacky with a great deal of shiny metal coated parts arround the dash which would have needed the attention of a can of matt black spray paint. Not at all what you would expect from a 'premium' or for that matter sub premium offering. I have not looked into its cousin, the new Focus ST, but suspect it could be just that bit easier on the eye.

Regards, Don.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Based on photos, I like the V40 interior. I think it's a step up from the S60. The updated BACKLIT dashboard alone is a HUGE improvement. It's nice to see that ugly single center vent is finally back to being two seperate vents.

I do also agree though with the comment about the excess of "shiny" stuff. That is a shame.

I also think it would look a little better if that plane that the screen and start/stop button were on were a little more recessed into the dash.

I still absolutely hate the location of the key slot. For those that don't pay to get PCC, IMO, it's just a terrible spot. I saw a video recently, I'm assuming it was a latest gen S80 (or XC70?) because I could just make out the new hump, and it was just ugly how they had the key sticking out of the slot with some other stuff attached to the key and it was just so ugly everything laying out over the dash. I know, for many of you, it's not an issue, but that doesn't change the fact that for others it IS an issue and if the dash was more thoughtfully thought out, then that key slot could be in a better position such that EVERYBODY could be happy.

And then this past weekend, I see ads in the paper that remind me that Hyundais have STANDARD proximity key.

I hope someday Volvo brings back more center console storage that's more easily accessible. Maybe something just in front of the shifter and below the controls. Or maybe just in front of the cupholders but not actually another cupholder.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is not bad planning. The car has not been launched globally, yet, therefore the bigger markets got the first/earlier orders. Currently, the global order bank for the V40/V40XC is extremely close to that of the A-class and that says a lot if you consider Mercedes-Benz's magnitude and resources.

At the same time, I am told that the fit and finish of the V40 is far superior to that of the A-class. I have not seen either car, in reality, but I am told this by a couple very reliable sources.

And, yes, the primary reason some S60 production was shifted to the Torslanda plant is to free up additional production slots at the Ghent plant, for the V40 and V40XC.
What are you talking about?! The production capacity of the Ghent plant has also been reduced this week to compensate the slow sales...
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=46478

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, it sure seems to be selling like hot cakes here in Norway and Sweden. They exceeded their year goal for 2012 (800 cars) the same day they released it here in Norway. When I ordered it, it would be 5 months until I'd get it because of the demand, but lucky me got it after one month because Norway got a bigger quota - sad for the country that lost their quota though.

Still I see people ordering it, and having to wait until February before it's delivered.. :(

Anyways, I'm loving the car and it feels premium enough for me.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear that the sales are not bad, it even seems that the yearly sales will be exceeding the initially planned 50.000 units.

About the interior, I have had the chance to sit in it a few days ago, I was expecting it to be very good but came away slightly dissatisfied, the s60 still feels more premium on the inside; IMHO the reason being the upright centre console giving a feeling of antiquity compared to the raked console of the s60. Also the black plastic around the vents looks cheap. I liked the quality of the interior in general though, it feels solid as expected from volvo. The back seat was a little tighter than my expectation in terms of leg and headroom.

I had the chance to check the MB A class, it looks sportier-more appealing to the young crowd these models are targeting, and the quality of interior materials was quite good. Besides, the rear legroom was slightly better than the v40. Both cars felt tight though!

One major critisicm was the heavy tailgate of the v40, too difficult to lift especially for ladies with long fingernails, this was mentioned also in a review I recently read, Volvo needs to prevent such issues if it wants to be considered a premium brand; previous volvos including two s40s that I had suffered from the same!

I also saw the new golf, it has steplessly opening doors which is supercool!!! The car is definately another hit, hope volvo can learn a few things from it. The interior has a huge cubby in the front console, and the door bins are covered in soft material to prevent things from moving around and making noise, dont think the v40 has it; who is premium now??!

As for the exterior, the v40 and v40 CC absolutely blows away all rivals, it is just beautiful.

Looking forwar to driving it in two months, hope the new engines/trannies make it next year so the v40 can be 100% competitive with the big 3.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear that the sales are not bad, it even seems that the yearly sales will be exceeding the initially planned 50.000 units.

About the interior, I have had the chance to sit in it a few days ago, I was expecting it to be very good but came away slightly dissatisfied, the s60 still feels more premium on the inside; IMHO the reason being the upright centre console giving a feeling of antiquity compared to the raked console of the s60. Also the black plastic around the vents looks cheap. I liked the quality of the interior in general though, it feels solid as expected from volvo. The back seat was a little tighter than my expectation in terms of leg and headroom.

I had the chance to check the MB A class, it looks sportier-more appealing to the young crowd these models are targeting, and the quality of interior materials was quite good. Besides, the rear legroom was slightly better than the v40. Both cars felt tight though!

One major critisicm was the heavy tailgate of the v40, too difficult to lift especially for ladies with long fingernails, this was mentioned also in a review I recently read, Volvo needs to prevent such issues if it wants to be considered a premium brand; previous volvos including two s40s that I had suffered from the same!

I also saw the new golf, it has steplessly opening doors which is supercool!!! The car is definately another hit, hope volvo can learn a few things from it. The interior has a huge cubby in the front console, and the door bins are covered in soft material to prevent things from moving around and making noise, dont think the v40 has it; who is premium now??!

As for the exterior, the v40 and v40 CC absolutely blows away all rivals, it is just beautiful.

Looking forwar to driving it in two months, hope the new engines/trannies make it next year so the v40 can be 100% competitive with the big 3.
EDIT: The v40 is not selling above expectations, it is actually selling slightly below, in october, the best selling month, it sold just above 6000 units which equates to about 70000-75000 units per year; volvo had targeted 90000 units per year...

·
Registered
113 Posts
EDIT: The v40 is not selling above expectations, it is actually selling slightly below, in october, the best selling month, it sold just above 6000 units which equates to about 70000-75000 units per year; volvo had targeted 90000 units per year...
Read below again

GrecianVolvo said:
On a sidenote, V40 was the 4th best selling model in Netherlands in October, with 1080 cars sold. None of the german cars in the segment came close.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Frankly I found the interior quality of the V40 to be sub par. This is also the reason I have mentioned that Mr. Jacoby wasn't telling what customers see in the showroom.
V40 is a nice car but the material choices are not what many consider to be premium. Have not seen a T5 in real yet, hope it is less plastic.
Plastic? Tacky? WTF are you talking about?! I see chrome accents and brushed metal along with leather and high quality, soft touch materials everywhere!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The reason they are reducing the capacity in the plant is probably to phase out the C30, it probably doesn´t affect the numbers of the V40.

We were supposed to get the V40 here in Mexico (first country in America to get it) back in July, but they decided to wait til 2013 and realease the XC version instead... HUGE mistake... the V40 would have been a good success for Volvo around here. The XC version is really not a SUV, just a 5 door compact hatch with plastic all around and taller tires... that one I don´t see them selling it a lot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts