SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've replaced almost all the parts in the front end of the car (control arms, tie rods inner and outer, ball joints...). BUT, now (at about 115k, 01 s60) my front end is noticably lower than it should be. I assumed the springs were broken, but nope. Could I just have worn out springs?:confused: Struts:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is entirely possible for the springs to sag and shocks to wear out. Being that the front end work you did had nothing to do with ride height, I would recommend checking your suspension components. Do the jounce test to see if your shocks are weak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is entirely possible for the springs to sag and shocks to wear out. Being that the front end work you did had nothing to do with ride height, I would recommend checking your suspension components. Do the jounce test to see if your shocks are weak.
"Jounce test"? Yeah, I know the front end work didn't adjust the ride height at all, if the struts and springs wore out at the same time as the rest of the entire front end of the car I wouldn't be THAT surprised. I've just never seen a car sag like that from just being worn out. It's like the springs just suddenly lost temper or something:confused:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Is your car running stock original springs and shocks?
Your shocks could be worn out by now... Springs usually last a lot longer from my experiences with other cars
But on the bright side if they need replacing, it would be a good time to lower the car with sport springs/shocks or get crazy with some coilovers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jounce test is when you press down on the front suspension ( one corner at a time) and see how many times the suspension goes up and down. New struts usually bounce back 1 to 2 times (sometimes even less) then stop moving. Worn struts bounce up and down over 3 times

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is your car running stock original springs and shocks?
Your shocks could be worn out by now... Springs usually last a lot longer from my experiences with other cars
But on the bright side if they need replacing, it would be a good time to lower the car with sport springs/shocks or get crazy with some coilovers.
I've worked a few different car lines and have never seen anything sag out like this. I've seen VWs with broken springs. I've also seen plenty of domestics and VWs/Audis with 250k and up on them that still sit perefectly level on factory springs, that might just need shocks/struts. I already bought some springs (they're not on the car yet), so maybe I buy some struts to and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts