SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"EX90" it is. Good choice and a huge improvement that's not Em-blah.
Water Sky Font Liquid Output device

I'm thinking some of the patented names were a bit of head-fake, won't have both EXC and EX in lineup. Rather a series EX-90, 70 (V546), 60, 30, and sedan that no one cares about - there's the First Five promised in Miami. Next gen 40s and maybe a 100 (~Zeekr 009) to follow later on.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
If the "bubbles" were teasers, I think this was the best view.

I'll need to compare to patent images and Lynk 09 when I have rainy-day time to waste. For now just a quick-flip.
World Vehicle Car Sky Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why compare to Lynk 09? That's on the SPA platform. To me, it's obviously the patent image. Night graphic, I did not see an illuminated Volvo emblem per the Concept Recharge.

View attachment 167953
The bubble images in the video could just be nonsensical, but it makes sense that Volvo would drop an "official" teaser about now, given reveal on 9 Nov.

So circle back to patent images - I'd say that's XC90 SPA1.2 as they're virtually a match w/ Lynk 09, both hatched on SPA1. Figure Volvo mashed whatever would fit from canx SPA2 ICE onto SPA1.2.

I don't think the bubble-car is a match for patent images, as others have commented with their screen shots.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't think the bubble-car is a match for patent images, as others have commented with their screen shots.
I'm simply disappointed. A hoped the EV would be towards Concept Recharge, and using all the EV design advantages. Instead EX90 is what we saw in the bubble car: a chunky ICE-alike SUV.

IMHO this is exact the model they original start SPA2. They simply canned the ICE-platform and will introduce only the EV. But still the body was designed for ICE and not optimized for EV.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I'm simply disappointed. A hoped the EV would be towards Concept Recharge, and using all the EV design advantages. Instead EX90 is what we saw in the bubble car: a chunky ICE-alike SUV.

IMHO this is exact the model they original start SPA2. They simply canned the ICE-platform and will introduce only the EV. But still the body was designed for ICE and not optimized for EV.
A 7 seat SUV can never be streamlined for EV range. A V90 body is better for EV. Maybe wait and see.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
A 7 seat SUV can never be streamlined for EV range. A V90 body is better for EV. Maybe wait and see.

Volvo's future of design presentation lead us to believe that all new EVs coming from the company would be streamlined to the degree that they can be. But, of course, you're right. The question is how optimized is it for EV. I think the interior space may reveal that. I'm hoping the rear floor is flat on the EX90. Should be.

Here's Mercedes version of a 3 row, 7-seat large SUV. The EX90 should be around the same general size. I can't tell the height of it because I don't know the height of the presenter. She seems a bit taller than the vehicle. The EX90 may not be as tall as the XC90. We'll have to wait and see.

Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

It does have a wagonnish type of profile. It looks long. I think the EX90 still looks kind of upright but we'll see. The height is 67.6 inches. The height of the GLS is 70.2 to 72.4 inches (per Google). So it is considerably lower than the current car.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd feel very bad if Volvo SUVs looked like a rounded bread loaf. :)
Designwise it should be a Volvo, but the EQS shows how to package 3-rows in an EV.

The EX90 is more like the EQC, an EV based on an ICE. That was 3 years ago already a bad idea, and can’t compete with true EV’s. Volvo is doing exactly that, but for a new platform model.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If the "bubbles" were teasers, I think this was the best view.

I'll need to compare to patent images and Lynk 09 when I have rainy-day time to waste. For now just a quick-flip.
View attachment 167945
View attachment 167951
The scale is not identical for both cars, hence it doesn’t make sense to compare the ratios.

I think the patent images are for the heavily facelifted XC90. The EX90 should be quite different, alas obviously not as closd the concept as originally thoughtit would be

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Designwise it should be a Volvo, but the EQS shows how to package 3-rows in an EV.

The EX90 is more like the EQC, an EV based on an ICE. That was 3 years ago already a bad idea, and can’t compete with true EV’s. Volvo is doing exactly that, but for a new platform model.
A pure EV platform, say P*3, will still not get longer range than model Y, Mach E. It is regardless of ICE body based or not. It is not only the body air drag, also the weight that matters.

Everyone thinks a brand new platform, and brand new water drop body is the right solution for EV, but this design style just makes every car looks the same.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A pure EV platform, say P*3, will still not get longer range than model Y, Mach E. It is regardless of ICE body based or not. It is not only the body air drag, also the weight that matters.

Everyone thinks a brand new platform, and brand new water drop body is the right solution for EV, but this design style just makes every car looks the same.

But it's not only about the range in discussion between ICE platform versus BEV platform. With the latter one can design the interior to be different with flat floors (as a single simple example) and the like. Obviously it's everyone's own decision how much they value such things.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The scale is not identical for both cars, hence it doesn’t make sense to compare the ratios.

I think the patent images are for the heavily facelifted XC90. The EX90 should be quite different, alas obviously not as closd the concept as originally thoughtit would be
Yes I think you're right and hope so too - I like the evolution for XC90 that those images suggest.

Yeah I'd have to get creative on PPT to do a more direct comparison. But the bubble car seems to have shorter overhangs, although I've read here you need to be careful when looking at patent image overhangs due to projection methods. Another thing I noticed was placement of rearview mirrors on the bubble car - not a match for patent images & Lynk 09.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
One of the generically consistent positive things I hear about the CMA Recharge models is they don't look that far off from the ICE cars. A growing number of people will want electric cars as they realize they fit their lives better without wanting to bend over and smell how great their own farts are. So I'd love to see Volvo keep a more traditional look with their EV offerings. The video itself was unjustified though. LiDAR isn't a new idea to present folks, and it's not new to say it's coming to the automobile world. It did seem to be the first public mention of the "no one killed or seriously injured in a Volvo" goal that had been targeted for the SPA/CMA generation but then that language had vaporized around 2018/2019 as the previous 2020 goal loomed.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The video itself was unjustified though. LiDAR isn't a new idea to present folks, and it's not new to say it's coming to the automobile world.
Perhaps the true purpose of that video was just to drop the "official" teaser, literally ensconced in bubblewrap?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts