SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me that find cross traffic and collision prevention system very annoying? They are way too sensitive and inaccurate imo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had no issues....yet....with the cross traffic alert. The collision prevention one has alerted a few times unexpectedly. Mostly when the car in front of me is turning and not clear enough to keep the alerts at bay.

I know there have been a couple of other posts on here complaining as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Works flawlessly for me on the two cars in our family. Has saved us a few times when backing out in situations where we are totally blind and the other driver was driving far too fast to be safe. Also have had some warnings go off in certain situations, but often I was unaware of the traffic behind me. While I was not moving yet, it was greatly appreciated to be be alerted by the system. Exactly what situations are occurring where you find it annoying? I can't think of a single time the system didn't provide me a real benefit by alerting me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
There have been a few reports of the cross-traffic collision avoidance being a bit heavy handed, there are some other threads here. I've experienced it a number of times. Very specific situations where you know you are ok, but the system doesn't. I've had it slam on the brakes in reverse a few times like in parking lot where someone is walking beside the car as I am backing out, or there is a car coming down the aisle, you can tell they are slowing down as they approach to give you room, but the Volvo decides they are still moving toward you. Also backing out of my driveway and there is someone walking on the sidewalk by as I back out it thinks you are in danger of hitting them.

You can't turn this feature off, and can't adjust the sensitivity like the forward collision mitigation. I've just learned to live with it, adjust my driving to the car. I know what sets it off so say even when I know I have clearance to back out of a spot, I will wait for a passing car or pedestrian to go by so I avoid the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Works flawlessly for me on the two cars in our family. Has saved us a few times when backing out in situations where we are totally blind and the other driver was driving far too fast to be safe. Also have had some warnings go off in certain situations, but often I was unaware of the traffic behind me. While I was not moving yet, it was greatly appreciated to be be alerted by the system. Exactly what situations are occurring where you find it annoying? I can't think of a single time the system didn't provide me a real benefit by alerting me.
I was parallel parking the other day and there was a pedestrian passing by (not even that close to my car) and the emergency braking kicked in. My dog freaked out and she is kind of traumatized now. Similar thing happened when I was backing into a spot at a gas station and the car next to me started moving forward which wasn’t dangerous at all. Super annoying.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I was parallel parking the other day and there was a pedestrian passing by (not even that close to my car) and the emergency braking kicked in. My dog freaked out and she is kind of traumatized now. Similar thing happened when I was backing into a spot at a gas station and the car next to me started moving forward which wasn’t dangerous at all. Super annoying.
Sounds like in both of these cases the car correctly spotted the possibility of your car striking the person or the car next to you...which is the entire reason the system exists. I guess we all have personal preferences. I don't think it's very probably you can have a system like this only detect a few scenarios but ignore other scenarios. Personally, I'll tolerate a few auto-brake stops where the probability was low to avoid the really serious ones it can protect. If you don't like it you can turn it off. I'm not sue what is "annoying" here, and I'm not sure why a dog would freak out of a single auto-brake even.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like in both of these cases the car correctly spotted the possibility of your car striking the person or the car next to you...which is the entire reason the system exists. I guess we all have personal preferences. I don't think it's very probably you can have a system like this only detect a few scenarios but ignore other scenarios. Personally, I'll tolerate a few auto-brake stops where the probability was low to avoid the really serious ones it can protect. If you don't like it you can turn it off. I'm not sue what is "annoying" here, and I'm not sure why a dog would freak out of a single auto-brake even.
My wife’s X3M is equipped with a similar collision prevention system and it doesn’t act this way. And my dog got bounced off and hit the front seat when it happened.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My wife’s X3M is equipped with a similar collision prevention system and it doesn’t act this way. And my dog got bounced off and hit the front seat when it happened.
Pretty difficult to say the BMW doesn’t do the same thing when it’s not possible to compare the exact specifics of each incident. Saying the BMW has a lower threshold for activation is possible, but then that means it’s far less effective. Personally this doesn’t rate very high on my concern list, it’s like complaining the system works too good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Auto braking when backing out utilizing cross traffic alert no longer functions once cross traffic already is off, correct?
Disabling Cross Traffic Alert in Sensus ONLY disables the audible alert. The auto brake still functions autonomously, No way to disable that feature. Maybe Volvo will refine the feature with software someday.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Disabling Cross Traffic Alert in Sensus ONLY disables the audible alert. The auto brake still functions autonomously, No way to disable that feature. Maybe Volvo will refine the feature with software someday.
How have you arrived at this conclusion?

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's beeps at me when going down two lane streets where cars are parked in both lanes so you have to go between the cars. It hasn't hit the brakes on me yet but it beeps and pops up on the hud.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty difficult to say the BMW doesn’t do the same thing when it’s not possible to compare the exact specifics of each incident. Saying the BMW has a lower threshold for activation is possible, but then that means it’s far less effective. Personally this doesn’t rate very high on my concern list, it’s like complaining the system works too good.
I don’t need a computer to stop the vehicle for me but to each his own.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dear VolvoFaRmeR,

Current autonomous and driver “help” systems are far from perfect, to call it mildly. I would love to see what such system does in snowstorm with most of its sensors blocked.
I experienced Volvo self braking that feels like hitting something and unrestrained cargo will fly around the cabin.
I suspect the system detected park meter jumping under rear wheels.
Higher speed discomfort happened when approaching intersections with a curve.
When road turns right and car traveling in the same direction sits in “left turn lane”. My car did panic break for brief moment.
Similar feeling was when road curves left and incoming car is stopped or approaching left turn lane. System detects possible collision.
It sucks. I have most, if not all, things disabled that can be disabled.

Krzysztof

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had it brake brutally a few times.

The most recent was when parallel parking, was backing straight towards a car parked behind and it slammed on the brakes, throwing me heavily into the seat and our Labrador into the tailgate.

Turns out it was a woman walking along the footpath, in what I am sure was within the Swedish National Standards for sensible footpath use.

A previous time I had my hand hovering just above the shifter and my thumb hit with so much force it was sore for days.

I get it's there to save someone's bacon but is sure a pain in the arse (or at least the thumb, or the dog).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I don’t need a computer to stop the vehicle for me but to each his own.
It's sentiment like these I'll never understand. This system literally can see where you as the driver are blind and literally save you from a terrible accident. Bet you wouldn't feel this way when it stops you from running over a child on a skateboard that's hidden by enormous SUVs as you back out blindly...... You don't need a computer do do what is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE for you do do huh? Nice....

It fails to amaze me all these "instances" people experience "all the time" when my family has 2 of these cars and has NEVER had a single incident as described.

I also find it hilarious when people say it brakes for no reason and the system messes up. I literally watched my mom back out and not see a hidden car approaching driving way to fast in a parking lot, all to slam on there brakes and park next to my mother. She got out and my mom was literally clueless as so why the car auto-braked.....I mean, my mom said it must have malfunctioned, all why I saw her Volvo avoid an accident with an approaching car that my mom never even new existed. So in her mind, it malfunctioned, but in reality she never saw what was about to hit her.

Some of these stories of "failures" of these systems are 100% drivers oblivious to the real reason it stopped. I also don't think some of you understand and correlate the closing speed and direction of travel the system calculates, then suddenly changes and is no longer a hazard. There is no system in the world that can predict a driver that at the last minute changes their behavior to avoid an accident. I just don't see why people always have to complain about everything for every reason. Good lord, I'd love to see how some of you would feel about the driving aids of other brands that are like 10x worse than Volvo's system....

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Dear VolvoFaRmeR,

Current autonomous and driver “help” systems are far from perfect, to call it mildly. I would love to see what such system does in snowstorm with most of its sensors blocked.
I experienced Volvo self braking that feels like hitting something and unrestrained cargo will fly around the cabin.
I suspect the system detected park meter jumping under rear wheels.
Higher speed discomfort happened when approaching intersections with a curve.
When road turns right and car traveling in the same direction sits in “left turn lane”. My car did panic break for brief moment.
Similar feeling was when road curves left and incoming car is stopped or approaching left turn lane. System detects possible collision.
It sucks. I have most, if not all, things disabled that can be disabled.

Krzysztof
Well I can tell you the system works pretty well in winter as snow and ice doesn't diminish the performance much because sonar is only mildly affected. If they do get covered the system informs you and turns off, so it never misbehaves because of winter weather.

If cargo is flying around in your car perhaps you need to reconsider what you don't put in the trunk.

The 2 situations you have listed with turning lanes and curing roads I have NEVER experienced in real life in either of our cars.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts