SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a freakin' week! Last Friday (12/18/15), I was hit almost head-on by a huge bottled water truck in my 2015.5 S60. The moron/SOB driving the truck (whose intelligence level falls somewhere between an amoeba and dryer lint, based on my observations) was making a turn off the highway onto a side street where I happened to be stopped waiting to make a right turn. Instead of turning into his lane, he plowed directly into me instead. The front end of my S60 was so mangled and demolished that it wasn't recognizable. Only from the side or rear could you tell it was a Volvo. But the passenger compartment was completely intact! Even though the damage extended right up to the base of the windshield, the driver's side door still opened easily. The car performed exactly the way it was designed to do and, for that, I am very grateful!

I leased my 2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum back in January (2015) for three years, but it only made it 11 months of that time. It only had 11,200 miles on it.

Since it was leased, the truck's insurer and the leasing company get to deal with negotiating the settlement to pay off the car. They (the at-fault's insurer) have already tried to screw with me starting with my rental. They tried to argue that a Chrysler 200 was a 'comparable' vehicle to my S60! I'm not a adjuster, but I am a licensed agent and I work as a Field Auditor for Worker's Comp policies now. Once I let them know I work in the industry, they (begrudgingly) agreed to pay for the rental that I chose (2016 Volvo XC60 T5).

I spent a few days before Christmas checking out potential replacements. I will make a separate post to discuss the possible replacement cars (all Volvos, of course)!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hate to break it to you, being in the industry and all, but Chrysler 200 is comparable to a Volvo S60. More features at a slightly lower price point. I cross-shopped and if it wasn't for the reported unreliability and long-term questions about their 9-speed transmission, I may have ended up with one. That and I grew to prefer the V60 to a sedan. As a rental, really in the same class if you ask me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What a freakin' week! Last Friday (12/18/15), I was hit almost head-on by a huge bottled water truck in my 2015.5 S60. The moron/SOB driving the truck (whose intelligence level falls somewhere between an amoeba and dryer lint, based on my observations) was making a turn off the highway onto a side street where I happened to be stopped waiting to make a right turn. Instead of turning into his lane, he plowed directly into me instead. The front end of my S60 was so mangled and demolished that it wasn't recognizable. Only from the side or rear could you tell it was a Volvo. But the passenger compartment was completely intact! Even though the damage extended right up to the base of the windshield, the driver's side door still opened easily. The car performed exactly the way it was designed to do and, for that, I am very grateful!

I leased my 2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum back in January (2015) for three years, but it only made it 11 months of that time. It only had 11,200 miles on it.

Since it was leased, the truck's insurer and the leasing company get to deal with negotiating the settlement to pay off the car. They (the at-fault's insurer) have already tried to screw with me starting with my rental. They tried to argue that a Chrysler 200 was a 'comparable' vehicle to my S60! I'm not a adjuster, but I am a licensed agent and I work as a Field Auditor for Worker's Comp policies now. Once I let them know I work in the industry, they (begrudgingly) agreed to pay for the rental that I chose (2016 Volvo XC60 T5).

I spent a few days before Christmas checking out potential replacements. I will make a separate post to discuss the possible replacement cars (all Volvos, of course)!
That's terrible, but I am glad to hear that you're safe and sound and that the car performed as it was designed to. I'm excited for the next (more positive) thread.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hate to break it to you, being in the industry and all, but Chrysler 200 is comparable to a Volvo S60. More features at a slightly lower price point. I cross-shopped and if it wasn't for the reported unreliability and long-term questions about their 9-speed transmission, I may have ended up with one. That and I grew to prefer the V60 to a sedan. As a rental, really in the same class if you ask me.
The S60 is considered an entry-level-luxury, near-luxury or premium car. The Chrysler 200 is none of those things. Volvo is a premium brand, so a premium brand car of similar size or larger is comparable for a rental.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's terrible, but I am glad to hear that you're safe and sound and that the car performed as it was designed to. I'm excited for the next (more positive) thread.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words and thoughts. It's one of those things that I hoped never to test when I got the S60, but now that I've gone through a nasty collision in a Volvo, I feel confident that my future Volvo(s) will do their job just as well!

I probably had less than two seconds from the time I realized he was hitting me until it was over, but it felt like an eternity (as most who have been in a wreck can attest). I've had two serious accidents in my 40 years prior to this one. When I was 17, I rolled my '86 Honda CRX five times and I pissed myself (literally, I admit it). Then when I was 26, I was almost killed when a truck t-boned my '94 Acura Legend and was trapped in the car for over an hour while they cut the A-pillar and rolled the roof back! I was terrified until the paramedics gave me a shot of pain killer and valium, then it all goes kinda cloudy.

But I've had several near misses in the 15 years since then and, each time, I was pretty shaken up afterward. But I wouldn't have avoided some of those accidents had I not been in that bad accident back in 2001. I became much more aware of everything and everyone around me, learned to scan my mirrors several times per minute and be ready to react to whatever I encountered! But this time was different, I felt the adrenaline/fear rush for a split-second, then I thought "I'm in a Volvo, I'll survive this". I felt certain that I would survive, but I didn't expect to walk away completely unscathed....but I did! =)

Volvo has a customer for life!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Oh no!

I am sorry for your accident and sorry for the loss of your car but the built in safety of the Volvo did it's job. The car can easily be replaced.

What was the explanation from the other driver? I wonder if he was looking at his cellphone for nav instructions or something. I think it's pretty easy to tell if his phone was active at the time of the accident.

Anyway, glad you are okay!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no!

I am sorry for your accident and sorry for the loss of your car but the built in safety of the Volvo did it's job. The car can easily be replaced.

What was the explanation from the other driver? I wonder if he was looking at his cellphone for nav instructions or something. I think it's pretty easy to tell if his phone was active at the time of the accident.

Anyway, glad you are okay!
Thank you.

I didn't talk to the other driver very much. The moment that I got out of the car and realized that I was okay and that no one else was injured, I started snapping photos with my phone of everything. I got the position of the cars, the damage, his skid marks, etc. I also took shots of several other motorists who stopped to see if I/we were okay, just in case I needed a witness. The guy driving the truck FLIPPED out and started yelling at me for taking the pics....and I got his rant (in which he said "[email protected]" no less than 20 times) on video! =) He got in my face and I told him to back away from me and I had nothing to say until the police arrived! I didn't tell him that I had a Glock 19 in the glovebox (and a legal license to carry it) but I was ready to grab it if he got physically aggressive!

Luckily, I knew one of the officers that responded and he told the guy to quit acting like an idiot just because it was fault! =) The guy said that he didn't see me (on a bright, sunny afternoon at 4pm) and that his eyes were on the road when it happened?!?!? I immediately reported the accident to my insurance company so they could help me deal with his insurance company, if needed. My insurer has a reputation in the industry for taking care of their customers immediately, then pursuing the at-fault's insurer for reimbursement AND getting it....with interest! They only allow OEM parts to be used for repairs, arrange comparable rental vehicles and towing, etc. Once they got involved, it was smooth sailing. But the adjuster at my insurer told me that they would subpoena his phone and text records if there was any problem settling the claim quickly and fairly.

The truck driver was given several citations and it was impossible to deny that he was 100% at fault. When the tow truck arrived to take my car away, the driver looked over at the huge truck and then back at my car and said, "You're smart, people always walk away from Volvos"! =)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but happy that you didn't get hurt. I installed a dash cam in my VW earlier this year. If someone hits me, from the front at least, I have documentation. Hard to argue with the camera. Someone backed into my wife last night in her S60. Very lightly but she called the police to take a report anyway, since we've been told before "aww that'll buff out" and it ends up costing $2k. I think I have talked her into installing one in her car. Happy car hunting at least. :0)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My insurer has a reputation in the industry for taking care of their customers immediately, then pursuing the at-fault's insurer for reimbursement AND getting it....with interest! They only allow OEM parts to be used for repairs, arrange comparable rental vehicles and towing, etc. Once they got involved, it was smooth sailing. But the adjuster at my insurer told me that they would subpoena his phone and text records if there was any problem settling the claim quickly and fairly.
Who do you have?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The S60 is considered an entry-level-luxury, near-luxury or premium car. The Chrysler 200 is none of those things. Volvo is a premium brand, so a premium brand car of similar size or larger is comparable for a rental.
First and foremost, I'm real sorry about the scary crash Igo, glad you were not hurt. Sucks about the hassle but thankfully the Volvo did its job well in protecting you.

I agree with you from a consumer perception standpoint, but I believe the industry (auto, rental or insurance) has given the 200 a similar Compact Luxury, Entry Level Premium, C or D segment classification as the Volvo, probably due to the traditional status of the Chrysler brand more than anything. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that a very small percentage of discerning luxury car customers are giving the 200 a serious consideration, nor consider it on par with and S60. Perhaps I'm just a biased car snob, but absolutely no one that I know, who have a tendency towards traditional luxury cars, whether domestic or foreign, has considered the 200. I do know some who have cross shopped it against Accords, Fusions, Malibu's and Sonata's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who do you have?
It's a company called Auto-Owners based in Lansing, Michigan. I'm actually with their Preferred Risk company called Owners Insurance. They are considered a 'super-regional' rather than a national insurer because the only operate in 26 states (mostly East of the Mason-Dixon). But they have been one of the Top 15 insurers in terms of total premium written for over a decade. They have landed in the Top 3 Auto Insurers for Claims Satisfaction for the past eight years (with USAA and Amica rotating among those three top slots).

The reason a lot of people haven't heard of them is because they're sold exclusively by Independent Agencies and they don't advertise. Back when I was an agent, they were one of the companies I represented (and 85%+ of all policies I sold were with them). They are the most ethical insurance company in the industry and that's why I have my entire family and anyone else I care about insured with them. Since they don't pay hundreds of millions for advertising, they can offer very good rates for customers who fit their risk appetite. Specifically, homeowners over 40 with no at-fault claims in the past three years and a clean driving record can get a lot of coverage for rates that no one else can beat!

Case in point-

I carry 500/500 Bodily Injury Liability and 100k Property Damage Liability, my Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage are the same (500/500/100), Comp ded is $100 and Full Glass coverage, $500 Collision deductible, $50/day rental and roadside assistance. I also had GAP and Diminished Value coverage on the Volvo.

The annual premium for each car-

2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum- $652.38
2006 Mazda3 s 5-door- $472.63
1995 Acura Legend GS 6MT 4-door- $341.06

So I pay $1466.07 per year for all three cars with that much coverage! I'm a single 40yr old homeowner with a clean MVR and no claims. My parents have the same levels of coverage and deductibles as me and they pay-

2006 Honda Accord LX- $388.29/year
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT- $591.04/year

I also have a $1 million Personal Umbrella that costs a whopping $107/year!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First and foremost, I'm real sorry about the scary crash Igo, glad you were not hurt. Sucks about the hassle but thankfully the Volvo did its job well in protecting you.

I agree with you from a consumer perception standpoint, but I believe the industry (auto, rental or insurance) has given the 200 a similar Compact Luxury, Entry Level Premium, C or D segment classification as the Volvo, probably due to the traditional status of the Chrysler brand more than anything. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that a very small percentage of discerning luxury car customers are giving the 200 a serious consideration, nor consider it on par with and S60. Perhaps I'm just a biased car snob, but absolutely no one that I know, who have a tendency towards traditional luxury cars, whether domestic or foreign, has considered the 200. I do know some who have cross shopped it against Accords, Fusions, Malibu's and Sonata's.

The Chrysler 200 is simply classified as a Mid-size Sedan. It is actually the lowest rated mid-size sedan in Consumer Reports' testing, with the 4-cylinder version scoring 63 and V6 scoring 66. To put that in perspective, the next closest car to them is the Nissan Altima 2.5S with a 77 and the highest rated being the Subaru Legacy at 89. The 200 and Altima are also the only mid-sizers with worse than average reliability. And a final insult, the 200 with the 4-cylinder is the slowest mid-size sedan on the market with a glacial 0-60 time of 9.8 seconds.

To quote the CR review of the 200- "Except for the case of the 2015 Chrysler 200, which although vastly improved from its unforgivably lousy predecessor, still trails the rest of the pack by a large margin."

While there are top trim levels that reach the $30k mark, the base LX stickers for under $23k and it screams "rental fleet queen" from the driver's seat! The previous 200 has a sibling model in the Dodge Avenger but the Dodge was dropped leaving the current 200 to fill the mid-size sedan segment for BOTH companies. My sister go stuck with one of them as a rental back about six months ago and I had the unfortunate experience of driving it loaded with five adults (three of whom weighed 250lbs or more)! With the 2.4L 4cyl it was a miserable experience and I'm thankful it was only about 30 miles round trip. Whenever we were going up a fairly steep hill, the 9-speed automatic would hunt between gears constantly upshifting only to do a harsh triple-gear downshift! It dropped from 8th or 9th gear down to 3rd on more than instance and it still couldn't maintain 55mph uphill with my foot to the floor! The V6 at least has some kick, but that just frees up your attention to notice the poor build quality, cheap materials and unrefined overall driving experience that shouldn't exist in a modern mid-size sedan.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
You cannot be serious with this comment...Even if you go rent a car, from Hertz, the S60 is not in the same category as a 200. One rents at a higher price point than the other.

I am stunned that you only chose the S60 because the 200 had reports of "unreliable" 9-speed transmission. Who knows in what condition the OP would have been had he been driving a 200....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't understand how you, the OP, were told which car to rent...
When my Volvo was in the shop last year (a tractor trailer side swiped it - and, amazingly, the damage wasn't that awful) I was able to get into a Suburban LTZ and then a BMW 3 series. My company (NJM) pays $50 a day for rental, and, apparently, that was enough to rent a very nice car at a time.

In any case, I'd never drive a 200, even as a rental... it's just horrible, sorry.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You cannot be serious with this comment...Even if you go rent a car, from Hertz, the S60 is not in the same category as a 200. One rents at a higher price point than the other.
Depending on the rental agency, the S60 is classified as either a PREMIUM Car or LUXURY Car. Comparable models in the same rental class, at least in my experience, are the Ford Taurus Limited, Lincoln MKZ, Hyundai Azera, Nissan Maxima, BMW 320i, Mercedes CLA-class and Audi A3. I've surprised the counter agents numerous times when I take a 'base' S60 (as in non-Premier, with T-Tec textile seats, no moonroof or nav, plain jane) over a BMW 320i or M-B CLA! Budget is good at most airport locations about reserving a specific model at the Premium level or above for Fastbreak (their frequent renter program) customers. I always choose the S60, S80 or XC60.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't understand how you, the OP, were told which car to rent...
When my Volvo was in the shop last year (a tractor trailer side swiped it - and, amazingly, the damage wasn't that awful) I was able to get into a Suburban LTZ and then a BMW 3 series. My company (NJM) pays $50 a day for rental, and, apparently, that was enough to rent a very nice car at a time.

In any case, I'd never drive a 200, even as a rental... it's just horrible, sorry.
The at-fault driver's insurance company arranged the rental car initially because it's their responsibility to pay for it. When they did so, they tried to put me in the 200. If I was using MY insurance, I get $50/day for a rental. But when another driver's insurer is paying, they don't pay a specific amount per day to you. But they do have to rent a vehicle of similar size, class and features as yours. If a close match isn't possible, they must err in your favor and get something nicer. At least that is what they are required to do by law in Georgia....but most don't do this and few complain to the Insurance Commissioner about it. I, however, am not most people....I have already filed a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner about the rental car issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You cannot be serious with this comment...Even if you go rent a car, from Hertz, the S60 is not in the same category as a 200.
If they rented the 200 in India or Pakistan, it would be in the same class as an Ox-Cart.....or maybe below.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The at-fault driver's insurance company arranged the rental car initially because it's their responsibility to pay for it.
Understood.
Same things happened with my father couple of years ago, when they put him in a Sentra (he was driving a Buick at a time), so I called them and complained a bit about that, even though my dad didn't mind.

For my case, I went through my own insurance company and waited for them to get reimbursement from the at-fault driver's company. So I rented in style :p

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Glad you're alright. Sorry about your car. :(

Glad you're not stuck in a POS Chrysler for the time being. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts