SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed the overseas portion of a long OSD – it was for 5 months in the North. Got the C30 custom built with help from William, took delivery in April and returned the car to Gothenburg the last day of August. It sailed safely over the ocean on “Atlantic Companion”, arrived in Newark on October 2nd and was transferred on to a dealer storage facility on the Brooklyn waterfront on the 26th. Bad timing, it turned out. The C30 got banged around in the lot and finally submerged in the Atlantic waters. It is apparently a total loss.

The icing on the cake: C30 manufacturing ends by the end of the year and the new order deadline has way passed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bummer Turo. While waiting for the insurance settlement you might ask VCNA to reserve a C30 Polestar Limited Edition that is already safely sitting at one of their regional distribution centers. The price might be right! That could be spicy enough to help you recover from losing your custom OSD C30 in the hurricane.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Just completed the overseas portion of a long OSD – it was for 5 months in the North. Got the C30 custom built with help from William, took delivery in April and returned the car to Gothenburg the last day of August. It sailed safely over the ocean on “Atlantic Companion”, arrived in Newark on October 2nd and was transferred on to a dealer storage facility on the Brooklyn waterfront on the 26th. Bad timing, it turned out. The C30 got banged around in the lot and finally submerged in the Atlantic waters. It is apparently a total loss.

The icing on the cake: C30 manufacturing ends by the end of the year and the new order deadline has way passed.
Sorry to see that...disappointing, for sure.

If you live in Seattle, what was your car doing in Newark? Shouldn't it have been delivered to Port Hueneme, CA?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
turo...

That is terrible news!!! I bet William and Yannis can find a C30 somewhere that is close to what you had. Give it a try!!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

No matter what, you'll still have all the memories from those 5 months! Where did you go?

When did you pick up? We picked up 11-April and returned 26-April.

Any chance you could squeeze another OSD trip in before EOY?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
turo, so sorry to hear of your loss :(

I hope that someone can find you something that you can be happy with.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
No matter what, you'll still have all the memories from those 5 months! Where did you go?

When did you pick up? We picked up 11-April and returned 26-April.

Any chance you could squeeze another OSD trip in before EOY?
Great idea!!!! Make lemonade out of lemons!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car was shipped to New York, because I had a work assignment there. The plan was to drive it across the country to Seattle – one of the tick boxes on my bucket list – leaving on October 31 and arriving here on November 14th. Sadly, the car got destroyed the day before departure.

I took delivery on April 11th, went through the Bohus coastline to Oslo, across Sweden to Stockholm, up to Grisslehamn, a ferry to Aland, island hopping on several small supply ferries to the Finnish mainland. The car spent most of the summer around Vasa, Finland. Then in August across the sea to Umea, Sweden; Sundsvall, Ostersund, Trondheim, Oslo and back through the Bohus islands to Gothenburg. 2222 miles total for the trip – and, unfortunately, for the car.

You develop a weird bond with your car on an OSD trip. Even more so if the car is custom built, one-of-a-kind; this was a Barents Blue C30 T5, blonde/espresso interior, special 16” wheels, a heavy duty aluminum engine/transmission protection plate for the rough roads up North, 6-speed manual, etc.

Great trip, great people at Volvo here in the U.S. and Sweden, great car. Right now trying to pick up the pieces and build up inspiration for an OSD # 5 …..

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

How utterly depressing. :(I'd be crushed (IF I could buy a new C30 at the moment, as it is my FAVORITE car). I hope VCNA finds a way to get you a similar C30 or perhaps a C30 Polestar Limited Edition?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The car was shipped to New York, because I had a work assignment there. The plan was to drive it across the country to Seattle – one of the tick boxes on my bucket list – leaving on October 31 and arriving here on November 14th. Sadly, the car got destroyed the day before departure.

I took delivery on April 11th, went through the Bohus coastline to Oslo, across Sweden to Stockholm, up to Grisslehamn, a ferry to Aland, island hopping on several small supply ferries to the Finnish mainland. The car spent most of the summer around Vasa, Finland. Then in August across the sea to Umea, Sweden; Sundsvall, Ostersund, Trondheim, Oslo and back through the Bohus islands to Gothenburg. 2222 miles total for the trip – and, unfortunately, for the car.

You develop a weird bond with your car on an OSD trip. Even more so if the car is custom built, one-of-a-kind; this was a Barents Blue C30 T5, blonde/espresso interior, special 16” wheels, a heavy duty aluminum engine/transmission protection plate for the rough roads up North, 6-speed manual, etc.

Great trip, great people at Volvo here in the U.S. and Sweden, great car. Right now trying to pick up the pieces and build up inspiration for an OSD # 5 …..
Completely understandable...........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts