SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does sachs make struts or shocks for the volvo s40, v50, c30 or mazdaspeed3 ????

if so how good are they ?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yes. Sachs is oem supplier for volvo.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know it is for volvo but since the p1 platform its share with ford and mazda...wanted to know if the s40 uses sachs as oem supplier...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, he said volvo in general he didn't specified ...i think there are some shocks and struts that are OEM supplied by bilstein (b4 think so)...for the dynamic if im not mistaken ...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sachs are OEM on S40's. They are reasonable quality and reasonable price primarily for stock height, unmodified use. I replaced the originals with new Sachs on my stock S40 at 83K and they ride great on that vehicle.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
im un-lowering my car and wanted to go with koni fsd or bilstein hd but boy those have some hefty prices .... :eek:

willing to buy used :D

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I just replaced my struts today with Koni Yellow Sport struts and Sachs mounts. The Sachs mounts are identical to the originals except the "Fomoco" label was literally ground off. I only did a quick spin around the block but the Koni's feel great and not harsh at all.
Stan

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was about to buy the yellow, but since im un-lowering and the yellows are for lowered cars i wanted the front FSD but no one seems to sell them separately :S ....so no go for me on that.. :(

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
i was about to buy the yellow, but since im un-lowering and the yellows are for lowered cars i wanted the front FSD but no one seems to sell them separately :S ....so no go for me on that.. :(
Not true, Koni yellows are fine for stock ride height & spring rate. It's Bilstein that recommends the HD/Sport for stock vs. lowered.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I put my stock springs (non-dynamic) on the Koni Yellows and it drives great and the wheels feel glued to the road. The ride quality is very smooth with the front and rears adjusted 1/2 a turn from soft. Going a full turn on the front is noticeably firmer and felt unbalanced with the rear so I set them back to 1/2. I'll let them break in a little and tinker more.

I seriously thought about getting the FSD's but I had used the Yellows before on my '02 S40 (stock springs) and I had read some questionable reviews of the FSD. Also, I like the idea that I can play with the damping. So far, no regrets.
Stan

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well...i asked on the koni website and they told me to go with FSD instead of yellows for OEM height ...

aren't they prone to fail with the "higher" spring

very interested in this .. tell me more about ride quality with the yellows ...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have mine set to 1/2 a turn and they are very comfortable. There was no compromise in comfort but do handle better than the factory struts. I am basing this on what I recall when the car had much fewer miles. After 105K miles, one front strut had very little gas pressure and the other was completely bad and leaking. The rears were still good. In spite of the dead strut, handling wasn't too bad and about on par with a Buick.

All that said, I will likely try increase the firmness to 1 turn all around after they wear in a little. The fronts are easy to adjust, however, the rears have to be removed to adjust.

As far as the spring height, the shafts on the yellows are the same length as the factory shocks and struts. I don't see spring height as a problem. There are reports of the FSD's being damaged when paired with lowering springs. There is a FSD Eibach Pro-Kit System that are designed to work together.
Stan

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Do it.
I can give you one more piece of information. The front struts are 8741-1490 L&R sport. You have a choice on the rear though....
8041-1351 sport is the number for Mazda 3 & C30. I've also been told it's listed for S40/V50 on some documents but I haven't seen it personally.
8041-1353 sport is the number for S40/V50 & Speed3. I was told by Koni tech support that this shock is 20% firmer than the 1351. This seems to make sense as our cars are a bit heavier, especially a loaded V50. What's the weight on a C30? My take is to go with the 1353 if you have a wagon or sport suspension. Consider the 1351 if you have the sedan with comfort or dynamic suspension. (Tire Rack lists both).
FYI SHOX has sets at $542.08 with free shipping. Koni sale end tomorrow! Wherever you buy I would call & confirm what rear shock you are getting.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nice, sounds good ! ....anyways, is there anyone that did koni yellows and did some sort of write up...i've used the search engine with no succes
i've heard there is some drilling required :S

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
What sort of write-up? a How-To?

I found some info on C30world, on Mazda 3 and for Focus forums. I took some pics of mine while I was doing the job. It may be a while before I can put something together though. The hardest part is getting the front struts out of the steering knuckle. They are a tight fit. Us a pinch bar to spread the clamp and tap the knuckle with a heavy hammer. Also, PB Blaster is your friend. Pre-treat the bolts and the bottom of the strut where it goes into the knuckle. Auto Zone sells a nice spring compressor (OEM) that has pins to secure around the spring. I paid $36 and will be using it again for my Sienna van. Harbor Freight has one for ~$16 that is OK but the Auto Zone one is better.

Don't forget to replace strut mounts and bearings too.

The yellows are definitely changing as they wear in. I had to increase the firmness on the front 1/4 turn to take out a little bounce that developed. If I firm the front much more, the car feels unbalanced with the rear (until I can adjust the rears). This may be an advantage of the FSD as they self adjust.

The handling with the yellows is great. The car feels tight and very glued to the road.
Stan

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup a write up...

will think about it

you seem to be very satisfied with yours, thats good :p

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I am pretty satisfied. I should have measured but I am wondering if the car is sitting a slightly higher. It could have been sagging before with the bad struts. There is some lively motion that I hope to correct with adjusting the rears. They do seem to take some tinkering to get them set right. This morning I set the fronts to 5/8 of a turn and they seem really good.

I think the big advantage for the yellows is if you change the springs. They allow you to adjust the rebound damping to match the springs while the FSD is tuned to match the factory springs. The question I would have is which factory springs of the 3 or 4 available (comfort, sport, dynamic, ?). I am not even certain which springs I have.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.