SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Swedespeeders,
Pics and details below of my version of a boost gauge install. i know, i know, digital meters aren't the best choice. i prefer a mechanical gauge but i just couldn't figure out a place to put one that i was happy with.

regardless of the above, i'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. I bought a China made boost gauge off of eBay - i think a New Dragon gauge. i bench tested it against a high quality gauge i have and it reads very nearly the same. Now that i know this works, i can put a higher quality gauge in if this one breaks.

Taking apart the mirror was easier than i thought. a slim bone tool to pry off the back from the front cover and everything came apart. Taking the boost gauge apart was easier since i didn't care about damaging the case.

Once i saw the size of the LED's on the gauge, i could measure and tape off the respective area on the back of the mirror to locate them to.

the reflective etching on the back of the mirror is pretty easy to remove. i taped off a rectangle and patiently scraped it off with a sharp xacto.

next, i had to remove the LED's from the PCB and wire them to their original connections so everything could fit inside the mirror casing.
Mounting the LED's to the mirror was the hardest part. i cut a small piece of the gauge lens and used double stick tape to fasten it to the mirror. i used two 2-56 bolts through the LED mount PCB and screwed it to the gauge lens. i thought of using RTV to attach the LED to the mirror but i didn't have any.

When i was ready to put everything back together, i put some foam around the PCB to secure it within the mirror housing.
then drilled a hole in the back mirror housing to feed the wire through.
snapped everything back together again.

From this point, it was simply a matter of wiring a typical digital gauge. i ran the wire up over the headliner and down the pillar and went through the same location to get to the engine bay that IPD details for their gauge install. I picked up switched power from the cigarette lighter at the radio.

I could take this a step further and find a set of LED's that are green/yellow to match the dash lighting but i like the blue digits in the mirror! :beer:

Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
:thumbup: for trying something different.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Very nice. I like it!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Clever! Nicely done and good write up! What's not to like :beer: :D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Looks awesome!

You can see how much boost you're running as the people behind you are losing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
while your at it install a compass in mine and my Valentine 1 display

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
OF course they're loosing if they're racing you in REVERSE!!! lol....

back to topic - amazing install! really really fantastic work -good job.
But my only thing is it will be kind of weird to look at your boost when you're at WOT etc...
When he's checking the rear view mirror at wot for cops, he can check his boost at the same time ;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
This is the seller i bought the gauge from. It also has an overboost warning LED that's set at 21psi. It will come in handy when i load my stage 2 Rica tune. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150831315876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk 2
Wow!! Very clean. I really like this for a daily driver. I want this.

1. So is the overboost warning display within the mirror installation?

2. If you were going for the higher quality and price was not a concern, what gauge would you be looking at?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly. This a daily driver.

I'm conditioned to look at the dash for engine stuff, so I found myself looking down instead of up to look at boost. But after a day, i've gotten used to looking at the mirror.

I guess if i were to look at another gauge i would look at an AEM. But i'm really limited with what i can fit in that mirror housing and whether i can remotely mount the LED's.

Right now the warning light backlights around the LED display. I thought about mounting it someplace else, but that's a project for another day.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Exactly. This a daily driver.

I'm conditioned to look at the dash for engine stuff, so I found myself looking down instead of up to look at boost. But after a day, i've gotten used to looking at the mirror.

I guess if i were to look at another gauge i would look at an AEM. But i'm really limited with what i can fit in that mirror housing and whether i can remotely mount the LED's.

Right now the warning light backlights around the LED display. I thought about mounting it someplace else, but that's a project for another day.

I may have misunderstood you when you said "i can put a higher quality gauge in if this one breaks. " I thought you meant a higher quality LED gauge.

·
Registered
998 Posts
looks pretty cool, you should take a video :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts