SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster but 4+ month reader of these forums, got lots of great info from you guys.

Quick intro- in November of 2011 I traded my perfectly good 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i towards the purchase of a brand new 2011 Saab 93 Wagon. Saab went bankrupt a month later, and I kicked myself EVERY DAY for buying that car for $30,000.

4 months pass and it doesn't seem like they're going to honor the warranties, so I set out to see if it's worth trading in. Went to the Caddy dealer to check out the CTS (I still love the CTS Wagon and Coupe), they offered me $16,500 for the Saab. I laughed and walked out after wasting an hour there.

Went to a Volvo dealer not too far from the Saab service center and was quoted a lot more than that. Worked some numbers and walked out that day with a new 2012 S60 T5. Not a wagon :(

In the 4 months I owned the Saab I had the MapTun Stage 1 upgrade, so the power was virtually the same as the S60 T5, but for some reason the Saab pulled harder. Anyway, the Volvo beats the Saab in every respect except for looks, but that's just my opinion.

So I've had the S60 today for 3 months, 1 month shy of how long I owned the Saab. 4500 miles later and it's really growing on me.

Have some issues that I haven't seen in the forums, wonder if you guys could give me some feedback/ideas as to what could be the cause:

1- When I drive over bumpy roads it sounds like my front suspension makes a weird "poof" or "squeek" noise, not every single bump, but 90% of the time. It is strange, it sounds like a poof of air from the front. If I go to the dealer I have a feeling they'll tell me they can't replicate it, or that it's standard for the model, so I was wondering if it could be something that degrades over time.

2- I had to floor the gas pedal to merge, was in S mode, at the peak of acceleration I heard a pop sound come from the engine bay. No codes, no warnings or messages, no weirdness, just that one pop. Tried to replicate it today but failed, but I wasn't going as fast. Any idea as to what this could have been? I'm not worried since it feels the same, but there's always an off chance I did some type of damage (although I didn't do anything crazy, the speed I topped out at was 65 MPH).

Glad to finally sign up for the community :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Saabrus:

I can't answer your questions, but ....

Just bought a 2011 T6 for the wife, but look at what I still have. People will call me crazy but I hope to still get a 2010/2011 9-5 in a few years.

I wish you would have been able to keep that 9-3 while also having the S60.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I loved the new 95, would have went with that car if I had bought a Saab post-bankruptcy. Going to be tough to find parts for it down the line or parts will be very expensive, but it's a beautiful + powerful car that sums up Saab's life as a pure gasoline automaker.

I'm actually going to try and buy an older 1990's Saab when I finish paying off the S60 :) Always loved the look of their cars, when I drove one I had to buy one too. Really a shame what happened to them.

Thankfully Volvo is stepping up their game with sporty and stylish offerings. I kind of like the prior gen S60 looks a little more than the new ones, but the interior is fantastic in the 2011+ cars.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Saab, apparently, is not dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18423709

Not clear if this new company would continue to make parts for previous models or honor warranties. I wouldn't have let the lack of a warranty scare me off. It wasn't that long ago that most auto manufacturers only offed a 1 year bumper to bumper and after that you were on your own. You already are taking a huge hit on resale so why not drive the thing until the unobtainium part breaks which may never happen?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I've been following Saab very closely. They're not "dead" but they're not going to be the same type of car company ever again with the new owners.

I knew that chances are the car wouldn't have any serious issues in the 4 year warranty period I lost, but I didn't want to have to pay out of pocket for anything that might have happened when I'm paying so much per month for a new car. MY first oil change should have been free, it cost me $100- 30,000 service would have cost me $979. Parts would also be difficult to get and get even more expensive.

Did lose a lot, but the 5 year safe + secure from Volvo was worth it, as well as the nicer cabin in the S60.

·
Registered
712 Posts
2- I had to floor the gas pedal to merge, was in S mode, at the peak of acceleration I heard a pop sound come from the engine bay. No codes, no warnings or messages, no weirdness, just that one pop. Tried to replicate it today but failed, but I wasn't going as fast. Any idea as to what this could have been? I'm not worried since it feels the same, but there's always an off chance I did some type of damage (although I didn't do anything crazy, the speed I topped out at was 65 MPH).

Glad to finally sign up for the community :)
I think there was a post about this a while back...not sure it was answered though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thankfully haven't heard the pop again, think it was a one time only thing and my car is ok.

Weirdness- now there is a strange rattle coming from the back of the car, no clue what it is but it sounds like a rattle from either the back seat or in the trunk.

The Saab made so many sounds the Volvo is still less annoying, but these rattles and creaks and poofs irk me so much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Weirdness- now there is a strange rattle coming from the back of the car, no clue what it is but it sounds like a rattle from either the back seat or in the trunk.
I had a rattle like that once - turns out one of the backseats was not fully latched. I had had it folded down and when returned it appeared to be fully upright but the latch hadn't engaged which was causing the rattle.

Try folding each seat down without using the release catch - if one does fold it wasn't latched properly. Mine are a tight fit and need to be pushed pretty hard to engage the latch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts