SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one here had or considered the above? I need a second car. Any opinions on the above?<p>I know this is the V70 forum, but both cars are direct competitors

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Re: SAAB 9-5 Combi (rovermark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rovermark</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know this is the V70 forum, but both cars are direct competitors</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You know a new 9.5 is in the works right?<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=122669" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=122669</A><p>

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - bound not to like it. If I am not mistaken, the 9-5 is the last true SAAB before GM took over? The new one is based on a GM platform.<p>

·
Registered
705 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rovermark</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any one here had or considered the above? I need a second car. Any opinions on the above?<p>I know this is the V70 forum, but both cars are direct competitors</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I did... but the local dealer's pricing put me off.<p>I actually almost bought the Saab 95 Combi but due to issues with pricing and the fact that rumours were spreading about the all-new model, I decided to pass it. After that, I sealed the case for the V70. <p>

·
Registered
223 Posts

<p>I dont know about Nth America but I know here in Australia new saab purchasers have taken HUGE hits when resale comes up. If your going to do it get one second hand though from your posts it looks like the model your considering is second had anyway. <p>The new model should be interesting though as it will be the first to be released under saabs new owner, the swededish super maker Koen.....something. Its due for release in August and will be showed at the sept frankfort motor show - apparently. I think sneak photo's are on the net. <p>I considered it to but dismissed saab on resale reasons as I needed a new car for the warranty as I do heaps of miles. <p>Cheers<br>Hatdriver

·
Registered
4 Posts

we traded our 2001 9-5 wagon in for our 08 V70. the 9-5 was a great car. it had a couple issues (acc door blocked and intake manifold. both pretty common problems for 9-5). we put 115,000 miles on it. we really liked it. sportier than the volvo, ALMOST as comfortable and useful.<p>We went Volvo this time because there aren't a whole lot Saab Sport Combis used (resale is so horrific, used is the way to go for Saab), and newer ones have almost the same interior as our 01 so it didn't really feel like a step up at all.<p>great car, in need of a refresh.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: (ktm_525)

Between my parents and uncle, there are three 9-5 combis or wagons as I like to call them. A 1999, 2003, and 2007. The turbos have blown once in the '99 and '03, the info screen has pooped out or become illegible, and starter failed in the '99. Other than that they have been good cars and came off with essentially no damage after two rear-enders. They are well built when it comes to safety but even the 2003 after Massachusetts winters has begun to show rust in the exact same places as the '99, which seems slightly ridiculous for a Swedish car. <p>The interior design is still ergonomic and quite nice. The leather seats have held up better than my S70. In the end, they are comfortable and safe cars with SAAB design quirks and the occasional GM gremlin.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: (rovermark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rovermark</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes - bound not to like it. If I am not mistaken, the 9-5 is the last true SAAB before GM took over? The new one is based on a GM platform.<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>The old one was also based on a GM platform, but with less input from GM. <p>Part of me has always liked the 9-5, at least until they mucked up the front end.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (mkaresh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mkaresh</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Part of me has always liked the 9-5, at least until they mucked up the front end.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I agree - the whole "born from jets" thing is incredibly stupid.<p>I did not know that the old platform was based on a GM car. I was quite nice though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: (rovermark)

Irony is that Saabs became "born from jets" after the auto company was split off from the aircraft company.<p>The 1990s 9-3 (initially 900) and 9-5 were both based on the Opel Vectra platform. AFAIK, the last car that was 100% Saab was the 1980s 900. Which was the make's breakthrough car.<p>The original 9000 was the outcome of a JV with Fiat, and I suspect that Fiat being the large company did most of the work on the basic platform. Hence the transverse powertrain and initially bland un-Saab styling. So the large Saab has never been 100% Saab.

·
Registered
16 Posts
9-5

A Saab 9-5 was my "gateway drug" into Swedish autos. Lots of fun to drive, good fuel economy and surprisingly roomy. Design wise, it is a '90s car, but its a good 90's car. My wife still misses the car and compares it favorably with our new V70. On the other hand, find a good independent Saab mechanic and become his friend, you may be seeing him often.<p>The big issue to watch out for with 9-5s is "sludge" problems with the 2.3 engine. My understanding is that Saab got the oil change interval wrong and had some design issues with the oil system in the early years and thus, there are a lot of damaged engines out there. We bought a used one that had some damage and didn't even get 100,000 miles out of it before we had a catastrophic engine failure (ergo, our decision to buy a V70 this time). There are a few with a 6 cylinder 3.0 liter equipped cars out there from the early years that didn't have this issue. My mechanic also told me (for what its worth) that they basically got the problem fixed in the 2.3 engines by the 2005 model year.<p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts