SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't follow the news for this vehicle.

Is the S80 gone and this taking its place? Or is this for a totally new market segment?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I better buy an S80 before they're not available anymore!

hahahahaha

but really dealers might have a fire sale on their S80s in stock at the time of the S90 shipments.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Its supposed to replace the S80, so probably the Audi A6, Mercedes E Class, BMW 5 Series, etc
But if it does what the XC90 does and punch a little higher than its class, it might rival the Audi A7, BMW 7 Series, and maybe even an S class or two.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The current S80 is way behind the other midsize luxury sedans.

Punching it up will bring it in line with the A6, E Class, and 5-Series.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
The current S80 is way behind the other midsize luxury sedans.

Punching it up will bring it in line with the A6, E Class, and 5-Series.
It should also give an indication what the S60 might be appointed with.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The S60 is much closer to its competitors than the S80 or XC90, but with the 2015 C-Class and 2016 A4 the gap is much more obvious.

It also depends how highly you value comfortable seats. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Its supposed to replace the S80, so probably the Audi A6, Mercedes E Class, BMW 5 Series, etc
But if it does what the XC90 does and punch a little higher than its class, it might rival the Audi A7, BMW 7 Series, and maybe even an S class or two.
Volvo should sell the S90L worldwide since they have no bigger sedan whose sales might be cannibalized, unlike many competitors.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The S60 is much closer to its competitors than the S80 or XC90, but with the 2015 C-Class and 2016 A4 the gap is much more obvious.

It also depends how highly you value comfortable seats. :)
So sorry i drove Mercedes C w205 and Volvo s60 can easily compete with Mercedes. It is more comfortable front seats are of course by far the Best in it's class and It is equally quality built.

C'mon you really like huge plastic interior in Benz?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The base model C is still on par with a very well equipped S60.

It's the loaded up C400 that leaves the S60 and most of the rest of the compact executive class far, far behind in the luxury category.

The S60 Inscription may close this gap a bit, but the C400 is still on a new platform and has many advantages.

I'll paraphrase Car & Driver here - it's almost like a mini S-Class.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well I didn't get that feeling, when I was driving C220 diesel. Absolutely fine car, but all that piano plastic around me is far from baby S class.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The s60's main problems are its stiff ride and cramped rear seat and boot, otherwise its a really fine car. Ofcourse new rivals such as the C-class and A4 have upped the refinement as well. I'm sure the new s60 - hopefully soon - will be able to compete head on with the Germans on the refinement, handling, drivetrain fronts, it remains to be seen how well its handling will be.

·
Registered
510 Posts
While I really like the look of the S80 I haven't driven one but sitting inside made me wish for more space in a mid-sized sedan. It sort of feels like the 5 series that ended production in 2010, I'm hoping the replacement is more A6 sized in interior room. That S60L (inscription) from China should have been the standard S60 in my opinion. I noticed the Volvo website has been updated to show 2016 models but it does not seem fully updated yet as those T5 with the R-Design package are not listed yet however, the S60 Inscription is up for a build choice. Haven't seen any for sale in my area yet to go check out.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Well I didn't get that feeling, when I was driving C220 diesel. Absolutely fine car, but all that piano plastic around me is far from baby S class.
I don't think we get the same trim here that you do.

It seemed like almost everything was wrapped in leather or wood (perhaps faux wood).

·
Registered
985 Posts
The competition within this class (mid-size lux) if far stiffer than the lux SUV market where the XC90 already has a good standing. Volvo better be smart with their pricing at launch....many cars have been doomed due to overly ambitious pricing at launch. I think the logical competition comes from the usually suspects (A6, E-class, 5-series) but also from the all new Jag XF (got a big price cut), Hyundai Genesis (offers a V8), Lexus GS (silky smooth), and Cadillac CTS (V-twin beast). All of these cars are about 192-195 inches in length. If Volvo can hold their pricing within a 9-iron of the current S80 then perhaps it could be successful.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My guess is that S90 prices will be slightly less than those of the XC90, with the V90 and V90CC in between, and the S90L probably priced similarly to the XC90.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The Audi A6 is a good indicator of how the S90 will be priced.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The Audi A6 is a good indicator of how the S90 will be priced.
If Volvo can start at 46K (where the base A6 starts) but offer AWD and the new T6 with 320 HP then that would be a good starting place.

The 2016 Jag XF starts at 52K but offers a 340HP V6 and their version of Safe+Secure (5 Years / 60,000 Miles New Vehicle Limited Warranty and Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance). I think the Jag could be a segment killer!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If Volvo can start at 46K (where the base A6 starts) but offer AWD and the new T6 with 320 HP then that would be a good starting place.

The 2016 Jag XF starts at 52K but offers a 340HP V6 and their version of Safe+Secure (5 Years / 60,000 Miles New Vehicle Limited Warranty and Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance). I think the Jag could be a segment killer!
Possibly, though the XF, like the 5-Series and others, lacks an air suspension option, which should particularly enhance the S90CC, as it does the A6 Allroad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts