1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two new articles from Swedish motor magazine:

From www.automotorsport.se

The new Volvo S90 test run!
I have gotten a lap around the Nurburgring with Sweden next pride!
The time was 10:40 mediocre but as I drove by once in a 25-million simulator!
Yes, so far it has gone, now we test drive new cars in computing!
My låtsasbil had a trimmed VEA engine of about 400 horses with four-wheel drive, but the steering was not the right nor the body.
Best time among Volvo's engineers is 8.44!
Let's start from the beginning: Volvo invited to chassidag to tell you how to work with the development of the SPA chassis and as a little bonus, we were then "run" the new S90 Digital!
First körintrycken: stable, safe, predictable - a genuine Volvo!
A little later I actually taste the SPA chassis in the S80 for real!
Thus the first "mules" of S90 and impresses more.
I do not run a single time on Hällered winding test track even though the car called Costello lacks ESP.
It is therefore a first prototype of the new Volvo chassis that among other things was used to persuade Volvo management that invest in the new lavish chassis.
The emphasis seems extremely low, but that's probably just the extremely fine attenuation who cheat a little.
No matter, very moderate understeer and really entertaining!
I know that the new S90 is even faster through the curves, but also more comfortable over bumps. Costello feels like a very finely tuned car, sporty but not uncomfortable. Good linear guide and a fine balance despite the heavy five-cylinder engine sits in. The car is from 2008 and looks like any other S80 anything but a little broader.
Compared with the new XC90 feels Costello as a sports car, really really athletic!
At the same time on the track going several copies of the new S90 completely unmasked! But the phone and camera, we were forced to relinquish. It looks like our pictures, but larger, more confident, better looking!
Quite front angry! Special acts.
Handsome!
A longer report on Volvo's chassis development will in the paper magazine, which also can be read digitally!
omslag_19.png
New S90 is looks like the pictures in Auto Motor & Sport No 19, but larger, more confident and better looking. Quite front angry! Special acts.

And from www.teknikensvarld.se

The new Volvo S90 "trial run" - three from the virtual test drive

Incredibly, many Swedes are very curious about the S80 ans S90 successor. Technology World Erik Wedberg located at Volvo's test facility where he has seen how new S90 is to "tune" - and rightly so.

Volvo S90 Hällered with Erik Wedberg
Erik Wedberg is on Volvo's test facility Hällered outside Gothenburg to get a sample taste of the newest Volvo chassis technology. We ask Erik the new S90 is to drive!

Hey Eric, how are the new Volvo S90?
- You can not really answer because no outsider has got to drive the car yet. But we are a group of Swedish journalists who have come as close as you can.

Volvo S90 simulator in Hällered with Erik WedbergEn simulator loaded with the same chassis values new S90 is the closest thing currently that outsiders can get a S90-road test.
What do you mean?
- Volvo is investing heavily in Computer Aided Engineering, CAE, meaning test runs in the simulator. Torslanda factory has invested a frightful number of million in an advanced simulator and we have got to run. "The car" in the simulator were loaded with the same chassis values in the new S90. With a little good will, one can say that I have run the S90, but it is difficult to say how it is. But I have seen it! Out here on Hällered they drive around with a completely unmasked S90. It looks great and luxurious! Reminiscent of the Jaguar XJ.

Volvo S90-mule with Erik Wedberg Erik has also driven a S90-mule with S80-body, to get to know the "real stuff".
Did you run any real car?
- Yes or no ... I have run the first mule with SPA chassis. It is S80 with the rear axle construction and the double wishbone front available in the new XC90 and which will in S90. The car was built in 2008 to show the Volvo management how good it would be with the new chassis design and convince managers to invest in the project. It was a remarkable experience to run the old S80 with the tuned diesel in fifth, and the new chassis.

Wow, different. More from "test drive" you can read in the next issue of the technology world. Do not miss it!

Volvo S90 2016Teknikens World Erik Wedberg has been one of the few people got to see the new Volvo S90. It looks great and luxurious, reminiscent of Jaguar's XJ luxury car. Here we see the S90 model cars. Erik sends word that the actual car looks just like the model car: "Very nice front, strange buttocks. The rear lights look great and plastiga out ". See more photos of the model car here.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Compare the 5cyl and Drive-E, I don't see big advantage from the 5cyl. What's really useful would be a 6cyl turbo for high end/priced cars, in US market.
But it is not possible at least in near future.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Compare the 5cyl and Drive-E, I don't see big advantage from the 5cyl. What's really useful would be a 6cyl turbo for high end/priced cars, in US market.
But it is not possible at least in near future.
The advantage.....only money spent to develop one engine, one transmission, manufacture one set of parts for one design, less training for manufacturing and installation with one version, few parts to ship and stock at a dealer, easier to train technicians to fix one type of motor......the list is endless.

It may not be what everyone wants, but it's no mystery as to why it's only one 4 cylinder.....it's saved hundreds of millions of dollars, and to a small, struggling car company that just dropped 11+ billion dollars on development, they must use their money wisely. Sure some will not by because of it, but it has to be a lot of sales to make up for an entire engine program. it's just the reality of the car economy. Audi is following, Benz is putting 4 cylinders in everything, so is BMW (and developing the 3 cylinder). Maybe the US will not be as favorable to the 4 cylinder, but the reality of it is world wide every other countries demands the 4. Makes sense, but doesn't always make enthusiast happy. So it goes.....the T8 is what's there for those wanting more.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sorry if I was misleading. I am saying "Compare the 5cyl and Drive-E, I don't see big advantage from the 5cyl. " means 5cyl is not needed though it can fit on SPA chassis (as in the Costello prototype) once they decided to go for 4cyl. Not to deny 4cyl works all over the world, but a high end 6cyl will be loved by US market, though volume will be low, say on a Polestar model.

The advantage.....only money spent to develop one engine, one transmission, manufacture one set of parts for one design, less training for manufacturing and installation with one version, few parts to ship and stock at a dealer, easier to train technicians to fix one type of motor......the list is endless.

It may not be what everyone wants, but it's no mystery as to why it's only one 4 cylinder.....it's saved hundreds of millions of dollars, and to a small, struggling car company that just dropped 11+ billion dollars on development, they must use their money wisely. Sure some will not by because of it, but it has to be a lot of sales to make up for an entire engine program. it's just the reality of the car economy. Audi is following, Benz is putting 4 cylinders in everything, so is BMW (and developing the 3 cylinder). Maybe the US will not be as favorable to the 4 cylinder, but the reality of it is world wide every other countries demands the 4. Makes sense, but doesn't always make enthusiast happy. So it goes.....the T8 is what's there for those wanting more.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

And transverse inline engines leave the most crush space in a front-engined car. I still can't figure out how BMWs and others with front-mounted straight sixes and V12s pass crash tests at all. I know one Mercedes, the G65 SUV could not originally be sold in the USA for that reason, but Mercedes somehow got around the problem more recently.

Width-wise I guess a five cylinder engine might fit into an SPA Volvo, but probably not with the T8's sandwich electric motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts