SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see Volvo mount the license plate on the trunk, rather than the bumper. Think the rear end would look better that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry goVolvo, but that was hideous.

Disclaimer: I am one who think the rear looks fantastic, though. Especially with the little spoiler. Love the taillights.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Sorry goVolvo, but that was hideous.

Disclaimer: I am one who think the rear looks fantastic, though. Especially with the little spoiler. Love the taillights.
I think everyone was expecting this vs what was delivered.

I like the concept much better than what was delivered.

However, I didn't like my XC60 tail lights at all when I first got it. Yes, I bought it despite not liking the tail lights.

I have since become enamored completely with them.

You know what else I didn't like when it was brought out? The 1994 Dodge Ram with it's odd fenders. Since then, everyone does it. Not that big of a deal and I actually like it now.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
But the coupe and the s90 have the same line connecting the taillights. OP is proposing a mod to interrupt that line. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
But the coupe and the s90 have the same line connecting the taillights. OP is proposing a mod to interrupt that line. Am I crazy?
I can kind of understand the desire to do that...because it opens up the lettering to be legible from a distance.

You can't discern that lettering sometimes due to the shadows.

And it's not like BMW, Lexus, M-B, Toyota or any other car designer. There is no rear logo. In fact, has there ever been a Volvo with a rear logo on it? It's just the word Volvo, IIRC.

But, on the current design, it's a cleaner look but the shadowing from the trunk lip hurts the Volvo name identification.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'd like to mod it like this. I can only do so much in PS but hope you get the idea.

You are kidding right? This would guarantee more V90 sales though. :p

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I think everyone was expecting this vs what was delivered.

I like the concept much better than what was delivered.

However, I didn't like my XC60 tail lights at all when I first got it. Yes, I bought it despite not liking the tail lights.

I have since become enamored completely with them.

You know what else I didn't like when it was brought out? The 1994 Dodge Ram with it's odd fenders. Since then, everyone does it. Not that big of a deal and I actually like it now.
They could have easily done these nicer tail lights. Not sure what they were thinking, other than to be purposely tacky and controversial?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the concept has no white backing light. Hence white light is added in the product car, and with short red bar above and under it.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Oh no.

The white backing light is in exactly the same place as it is in the production one.

Dead center of each side.

In the image I linked earlier, it is just not very visible. It's almost reddish.

Here's a better pic...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks pointing it out. It is indeed small. Though LED lamp should still be bright enough. So hope they go back to the concept tail in some future facelift.

The concept tail still needs somewhere that you can lift the trunk lid with your finger though.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
In reality, the concept tail looks like it doesn't have a trunk.

Which is probably why it was redesigned to be fatter than the concept.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have two comments, I believe the U.S. and European regulators require so many Square Centimeters for rear reflective surface area and that might be why the production tail light assemblies are so large. I have noted many new cars over the last two years have small reflective strips pasted on the rear of the car.
Also, remember a designer named Chris Bangle at BMW who in 2002 gave BMW/us one of the most controversial rear ends ever on a major car manufacturer? Within a few years he, and his designs were gone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The more I think about it by looking at those pictures the more I believe that the actual problem is not the taillights. I see three main differences of the concept that give overall a much better impression:
1- The diffuser area where the license plate sits, is more detailed and in contrasting colour
2- Where the bumper meets the lower part of the trunk is almost straight. The S90 looks busier in that area
3- The upper part of the trunk on the concept is flatter and therefore looks wider. Also the actual car because of this has more metal above the lights

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have two comments, I believe the U.S. and European regulators require so many Square Centimeters for rear reflective surface area and that might be why the production tail light assemblies are so large. I have noted many new cars over the last two years have small reflective strips pasted on the rear of the car.
Also, remember a designer named Chris Bangle at BMW who in 2002 gave BMW/us one of the most controversial rear ends ever on a major car manufacturer? Within a few years he, and his designs were gone.
Indeed. If you note, the concept has basically NO reflector area. The whole tail lamp is dedicated to the actual lightning part. They basically enlarged it to allow reflector area.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I disliked most of the Bangle designs, or at least many of the awkward design elements. But BMW still managed to sell a billion of those funky cars didn't they, and in-spite of the idrive? Was it the added PR due to the controversial design elements or maybe their unique-ness in a more conservative conformist market segment?

Now, have a look at the over-the-top designs that Fukuichi has created at Lexus, yet they are breaking sales records. I say this not because I appreciate their crazy spindle grills and abstract lines and creases, but because it seems you have to be a bit adventurous, even controversial with luxury auto designs these days, to attract enough attention to positively impact sales. A few years ago, Lexus products were solid, reliable luxury with clean and conservatively designed exteriors, but their sale numbers were mediocre.

As much as I may prefer the Scandinavian cleaner and "simple" take on luxury, we may discover that it was the distinctive Thor headlights and "unique" tail treatments that helped attract the most attention to the brand. The new XC90 put Volvo back on a lot of SUV buyer's radars, but winning over typical E Class, 5 Series and A6 customers is a bigger challenge. All of the cars in this segment are solid, safe, luxurious and comfortable, and equipped with the latest technology, but are any one of them distinguishable aesthetically from the other (except Cadillac perhaps)? I say the environment is ripe now to take risks with the design, or at least go a different direction with certain aspects, to attract attention and allow owners to feel unique or fresh. We'll see...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The more I think about it by looking at those pictures the more I believe that the actual problem is not the taillights. I see three main differences of the concept that give overall a much better impression:
1- The diffuser area where the license plate sits, is more detailed and in contrasting colour
2- Where the bumper meets the lower part of the trunk is almost straight. The S90 looks busier in that area
3- The upper part of the trunk on the concept is flatter and therefore looks wider. Also the actual car because of this has more metal above the lights
Also around the taillights, the sheetmetal is formed straight and very distinctive

1 - 20 of 41 Posts