SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum that I purchased as a CPO vehicle about 3 months ago. I just took it on my first road trip of at least a couple of hours last weekend and was very surprised at the gas mileage that I got on the trip. The EPA estimates for this vehicle with the T6 engine are 22 City and 31 Highway. I ran the car in ECO mode when I was on the freeway and Comfort mode when not on the freeway and got 38.5 mpg both going to my destination and coming home. Have others experienced similar miles per gallon stats or is my experience unusual?

I'm just curious because I'm used to vehicles delivering lower than quoted mpg rather than higher than quoted mpg in most cases. However, I am very pleased in this case particularly given that gas prices are currently going through the roof.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congratulations on the recent acquisition!

These cars can be very efficient if driven very gentle, gas guzzlers of driven hard.

Are you showing your temperature in F or C? I ask because that affects the MPG shown on screen. If you have it in C, it will use British gallons which means higher MPG figures, of using F, it will show US gallons.

The best I've gotten from my car at 68 MPH is 43.9 MPG UK / 36.6 MPG US / 6.4 L/100 Km. This is only with constant highway speed, absolutely no slowing or red lights.

The worst I've seen is ~11 MPG

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the U.S. so the temperature is always stated in Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm in the U.S. so the temperature is always stated in Fahrenheit.
I'm also in the U.S. but my temperature is always shown in C.

Great mileage BTW!

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your mpg on the highway in is consistent with my V90 T5 -- give or take 1 mpg. Comes down to how you drive the car. In my case, I am very gentle with the car, 60 mph or 65 mph max. 55 mph in a 55 mph zone.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Dang! The most I've gotten from my V90CC T6 is 31.5~32 MPG, and that too on hot sunny days, Interstate driving at 68~72 mph, while driving down to Houston from MI. I almost exclusively use ECO mode on Interstates unless I'm driving like a lunatic sometimes.

Granted, my vehicle is decently loaded with stuff when driving down south, which accounts for some loss in the mpg, but 38.5 sounds ridiculously good. I hope you're actually getting those figures and not being wronged by the in-built mpg calculator in our Volvo. 🍻

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maybe they were driving downhill both ways 🏔

Reactions: PhaetonTim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that calculated by you, or the car’s computer?
Honestly that seems pretty high for both ways. Did you have a tailwind both ways?
That figure was calculated by the car's computer. However, when I filled up with gas I also did a quick manual calculation and came up with a similar result. The drive was mostly on flat ground and I drove at about 75 mph on the freeway. Like everyone, I was more than a little surprised with the gas mileage I got, but it was a very pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Volvolic

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
That figure was calculated by the car's computer. However, when I filled up with gas I also did a quick manual calculation and came up with a similar result. The drive was mostly on flat ground and I drove at about 75 mph on the freeway. Like everyone, I was more than a little surprised with the gas mileage I got, but it was a very pleasant surprise.
I'm guessing your distance to empty (on the Tach screen) on a full tank should be almost 600 miles, correct? The most I've gotten is about 500 miles to empty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm guessing your distance to empty (on the Tach screen) on a full tank should be almost 600 miles, correct? The most I've gotten is about 500 miles to empty.
Yes, it was actually a bit over 600 when I refilled on the way home. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact number.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Yes, it was actually a bit over 600 when I refilled on the way home. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact number.
Yup. Makes sense then. The last time I saw a high 400s number on my distance to empty was last summer when driving back from Houston to MI. Since then it's been just local drives for me, and with winter fuel here, have hardly seen it creep up to the low 300s past 6 months or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow. I average about 24mpg on my S90 T6, although that's all in the NYC area, so a lot of stop and go or highway speeds with speed changes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just did 75 miles of Interstate highway driving and got 38.5 mpg in my V90 T5. In my case, I am very gentle with the car (use ECO mode), 60 mph or 65 mph max. 55 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Reactions: pocholin

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just got back from NYC drive from Chicago, did about 1,900 miles, round trip had an average of 26.6 MPG which is great considering I hovered around 86-90 MPH as much as possible (79 MPH average on the way there). My last 200 miles, on the way back, were done at a very gentle 75 MPH speed @ cruise control (72 MPH average) with 33.5 MPG (US) / 40 MPG (UK).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just did 75 miles of Interstate highway driving and got 38.5 mpg in my V90 T5. In my case, I am very gentle with the car (use ECO mode), 60 mph or 65 mph max. 55 mph in a 55 mph zone.
That is crazy good...can't make myself to stay at those speeds!

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum that I purchased as a CPO vehicle about 3 months ago. I just took it on my first road trip of at least a couple of hours last weekend and was very surprised at the gas mileage that I got on the trip. The EPA estimates for this vehicle with the T6 engine are 22 City and 31 Highway. I ran the car in ECO mode when I was on the freeway and Comfort mode when not on the freeway and got 38.5 mpg both going to my destination and coming home. Have others experienced similar miles per gallon stats or is my experience unusual?

I'm just curious because I'm used to vehicles delivering lower than quoted mpg rather than higher than quoted mpg in most cases. However, I am very pleased in this case particularly given that gas prices are currently going through the roof.
Good for You! I got my 2021 S90 T6 a month ago, and I have been driving in Polestar mode almost exclusively and zooming around because Im still playing with my new toy :). I‘ve averaged 19.7 mpg for my first 1,000 miles because I haven’t been trying. I haven’t done a long road trip yet where I can test the stats when driving Highway in eco to see what I can get when I try.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That is crazy good...can't make myself to stay at those speeds!
Unfortunately, I cannot hold it at 100+ for long periods of time to assess the average it would give...different story if I was driving in Mexico, LOL!
I have, however, noticed that in WOT sprints 100 MPH +, the instant economy shows 6.5-7 MPG...but that should improve if you are holding a constant speed of, let's say, 110 MPH. Perhaps someone in Europe's autobahn can shade some light???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts