SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up about this if you dont already know that the R-design S90 is coming to the USA this year and it will NOT offer a T5 option.

There is also new color options for R-design Nappa leather interior which includes Slate, Blonde, or Charcoal.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Just a heads up about this if you dont already know that the R-design S90 is coming to the USA this year and it will NOT offer a T5 option.

There is also new color options for R-design Nappa leather interior which includes Slate, Blonde, or Charcoal.
Will this be a Short Wheel Based (Swedish Made) or Long Wheel Based (Chinese Made)?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do the additional color choices apply to 2020 S60 R-Designs as well? I see that they had reapplied the tailored dash as part of the included features for the R-Design package as well. I will be kicking myself even more for not waiting another month or two if I could have chosen a different color other than black for the interior...!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do the R-Designs exclude the cooled, ventilated seats? The pics I saw of the R-Design XC60 made it look like the seats are cloth and leather but made no mention of cooling nor perforations. That's a deal breaker for Texas and I imagine it'd require an additional comfort package.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 2019 S60 R-Design seats are a combination of leather and textiles, and you cannot have ventilated seats nor a stitched dash.
Maybe the 2020 S90 R-Design will be more plush, but I think Volvo thinks only Inscription folks care for such options.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, I ran through the configurator this afternoon, and I can get an R Design with perforated, cooled seats but they won't be the R Design seats.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Massage available and power lumbar via Seat Pack option, but NO cooling feature;
perforation might help wick away the sweat, but no cooling fan for ventilation.

https://www.volvocars.com/intl/build/sedan/s90/r-design/t6-automatic-awd/personalize/packs?s=232PM48

Keep in mind as well that the Volvo configurator is notoriously INCORRECT, and International is not truly an actual regional spec.

The configurator says you can opt out of the R-Design seats in the R-Redesign and chose Premium Nappa. And vice versa in the Inscription; that is very odd. No sure if this is all correct.
Volvo seems to think the USA only wants soft riding seats and suspensions in their Volvos, whereas these are the two most important things to at least this Volvo driver.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 2019 S60 R-Design seats are a combination of leather and textiles, and you cannot have ventilated seats nor a stitched dash.
Maybe the 2020 S90 R-Design will be more plush, but I think Volvo thinks only Inscription folks care for such options.
All R-design models will mimic the S60. That means no ventilated seats (but additional seat color options are available, black mirrors, and black window moldings.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Doesn't appear that even the S90 Inscription will offer ventilated seats....
I like the look of the old nubuck, but I think the textile will wear better.

I like the black molding over the chrome; we'll see what they do in the S90 R-Design.

I wish my black R-Design had grey mirrors not black; again, sell see what they do in the S90 R-Resign but I suspect subtle if any contrasting color.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You have to have the perforations in the middle section of the seat to have cooled seats. Unfortunately the RD's (and Ocean Race) sport seats do not have this design.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You have to have the perforations in the middle section of the seat to have cooled seats. Unfortunately the RD's (and Ocean Race) sport seats do not have this design.
I wonder if an OSD car could get exactly this. It'd be cool having the only R Design with cooled seats. I know some other manufacturers let you specify every last detail on your car if you're taking delivery at the factory, because then it's worth the factory's time, it's a guaranteed sale and won't sit on a lot because someone wanted pink seats or a rainbow paint scheme and 15" throwback wheels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wonder if an OSD car could get exactly this. It'd be cool having the only R Design with cooled seats. I know some other manufacturers let you specify every last detail on your car if you're taking delivery at the factory, because then it's worth the factory's time, it's a guaranteed sale and won't sit on a lot because someone wanted pink seats or a rainbow paint scheme and 15" throwback wheels.
Definitely not on a S90. Not a OSD car. I double checked the 2020 price lists and while the full leather r-design seats have perforations they are not ventilated. So for 2020 it still looks like a no.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is there any idea of whether 2020 will signal the return to the SWB vs the LWB model? Volvo had released statements saying that they will no longer be importing Cars from China to the US, rather importing the same models made in Sweden to the US as tariffs are more favorably low. If this is true, that would mean the S90 would be once again be the global market S90 model... which is also why I have a feeling the R-Design is now being put on the table here as well. I think they have realized that a high percentage of sales are amounting to the R-Design trim, and most people who still buy sedans lean towards the sportier end of models.

I think it was a marketing mistake from the very beginning to not offer the R-Design trim, being that in my opinion, it is one of the best looking models in the class. I think it looks just as performance oriented as much higher performing models like the S6/E43/M550etc. Volvo has always seemed to misstep options/color availability/trim levels when it comes to the US market from my point of view. Europe always gets the cool stuff. When we were buying our S90, the dealers seemed to believe the R-Design would be available for the 2018 model year, but that was back in mid-2016, so we had no choice but to go with the Inscription trim. Must have been a last minute decision to bring the LWB here, which meant no more R-Design? Or the Dealers were just going off of false hope.

:nono:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why would anyone even consider an R-Design in a T-5? That never even entered my mind when ordering my V90 R-Design. The Polestar tune alone sending more power to the rear was a great perk but could never see spending this $$ and end up with FWD. A “sport” package in FWD seems silly. I guess I just don’t see how this would ever be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Why would anyone even consider an R-Design in a T-5?
I owned a T6 S90 AWD and now own a T5 FWD V90 R-D. T5 engine shifts smoother, is less complicated for long term ownership, FWD is also far less prone to expensive future headaches (went through that bullcrap with the P2 Rs), and from a power standpoint, is still a rocket. For those of us who don't professionally race and like the R trim look, it was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
After driving multiple combinations I chose 2018 V90 T5 FWD R Design with Polestar and the goal wasn't to save money. Engine was much quieter (no supercharger) and overall somehow smoother. It performs like the T6 (polestar adds the low end torque like the T6 supercharger does) and it has much less engine, powerchain complexity and therefore hopefully more durability. Also no rear air suspension (guaranteed repair item in the medium/long term). Got 34 mpg on long highway stints at 80mph with 4 large adults and lots of luggage on my last road trip. I plan on keeping it > 10 years.

I owned a T6 S90 AWD and now own a T5 FWD V90 R-D. T5 engine shifts smoother, is less complicated for long term ownership, FWD is also far less prone to expensive future headaches (went through that bullcrap with the P2 Rs), and from a power standpoint, is still a rocket. For those of us who don't professionally race and like the R trim look, it was a no-brainer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts