SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in knowing whether anyone has tried swapping out the original low beam headlight bulbs in their S90 or V90 ? I understand our vehicles have the H11 as the low beam headlight bulb. It's pretty common for owners to swap out the H11 bulbs in favor of the brighter H9 bulbs. Some people have mentioned that the H9 burns too hot for some headlight assembly's and some also mention the shorter bulb life of the H9's but everyone prefers their superior illumination. I previously owned a Genesis sedan that I did that with and drove it to 60,000 miles before having to replace a burned out bulb. Also never had any issues with the H9 bulb burning too bright for the Genesis sedan headlight assembly. Their superior illumination was an obvious improvement. I have a 2018 S90 that I am interested in upgrading to the low beam H9 bulbs but wondered if anyone has tried it yet and if so whether they've had any problems?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Your s90 is not full LED head light?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initially I assumed the car had LED headlights. The IIHS website seems to indicate that all models of 2018 S90 are LED reflector headlights. But the large/long copy of the owners manual for the car (2018 S90) seems to indicate a strong likelyhood of the low beams being H11 halogens? So as a result I am confused. Neither of the LED reflector versions of low and high beam headlights on this vehicle get good ratings from IIHS, Acceptable rating for momentum and marginal (worse) for the inscription, go figure!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Initially I assumed the car had LED headlights. The IIHS website seems to indicate that all models of 2018 S90 are LED reflector headlights. But the large/long copy of the owners manual for the car (2018 S90) seems to indicate a strong likelyhood of the low beams being H11 halogens? So as a result I am confused. Neither of the LED reflector versions of low and high beam headlights on this vehicle get good ratings from IIHS, Acceptable rating for momentum and marginal (worse) for the inscription, go figure!
This is interesting. Like Pauls90 I assumed all S90's had LED headlights. I've never seen one without them. It's usually pretty clear by the color of the light. Mine certainly is.

I can't help but wonder if this is an error in the manual. It wouldn't be unheard of.

The manual for my 2009 S80 listed the wrong halogen headlight bulb part numbers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Assuming the headlights on the S90 are the same as on the V90, I'm surprised the IIHS doesn't give them a good rating. I find them superb on my V90, certainly a benchmark.

·
Registered
850 Posts
well i did see 2017 with reg bulbs but not 2018 th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts