SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initial speculation had ruled out the prospect of this motor ending up in the flagship saloon - even though elements from the S90’s Scalable Platform Architecture (SPA) will be used in the smaller vehicles.

However, Volvo’s senior vice-president of research and development Peter Mertens has now suggested that the three-cylinder engine could indeed form part of a hybrid powertrain that would sit lower in the range than the S90’s 401bhp TwinEngine model.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volvo-s90-get-three-cylinder-hybrid

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
An interesting trim. I'm wondering how much it can be lower in price. If still be higher than T6 then how many would be interested in it. It is mentioned no plugin charge, maybe this means less battery, lighter, and much cheaper is possible.

A cheaper PHEV or hybrid is very well welcomed but I am not sure S90 is the right one to start with. S60 3 cyl makes a lot more sense.

Also if there is possibility to use a cheaper transmission instead of Aisin 8AT, it will be great cost saving. There is news about DCT tranny being made by Volvo and Geely. It will be good choice for cheaper FWD 60s and 40s, but not S90 please.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
An interesting trim. I'm wondering how much it can be lower in price. If still be higher than T6 then how many would be interested in it. It is mentioned no plugin charge, maybe this means less battery, lighter, and much cheaper is possible.

A cheaper PHEV or hybrid is very well welcomed but I am not sure S90 is the right one to start with. S60 3 cyl makes a lot more sense.

Also if there is possibility to use a cheaper transmission instead of Aisin 8AT, it will be great cost saving. There is news about DCT tranny being made by Volvo and Geely. It will be good choice for cheaper FWD 60s and 40s, but not S90 please.

The DCT that has been talked about so far was said to be specifically for the CMA during the CMA presentation.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Maybe not next S60 but definitely a good choice in future if proved to be good on 40s.

A cheaper S/V60 hybrid will be very practical car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Regarding the dual-clutch transmission, found this from one article;

"Volvo has revealed a new T5 Twin Engine hybrid powertrain alongside a new seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, both dedicated for use on models riding on the brand’s new Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) – think V40 hatchback, or the much-anticipated XC40 SUV that was just spied – and will later be offered on base 60-Series models."

If I'm not mistaken I think medels hinted the same even before the CMA presentation and he is pretty correct about this stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts