SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Volvo vendor (Castrol), when I retired last year, I used my A Plan access to buy a new 2018 S90 T5 AWD with the intent to keep the vehicle for a long time but now having some buyers remorse. Not counting 2 annual maintenance visits the car has been back to the dealership for the following repairs:
1) rear tow hitch fell off
2) VCM recall
3) Cruise control stopped functioning
4) Fuel pipe seal to fix “check engine light” message - 2 times, 2 different dealers
5) Torque converter/hard shift issue when changing from P to either R or D while stopped. This was so bad the car nearly jumped off the ground when it happened - 2 times, 2 different dealers
The last 3 problems were - according to Volvo- software issues, and at this point everything is resolved and good news is all problems were covered under Warranty. At the second shifting issue visit, at less than 18k miles, the front brake pads were already down to 3mm, so I replaced those at my expense (wear item).
So, due to all of above I am totally unimpressed thus far with Volvo supposed “quality”. I’ve had dozens of vehicles over the years and never heard of having to replace brake pads this early (yes I understand about driving habits). My last company car was a Toyota Camry that I bought for my wife. It now has 80k miles on it with original pads still good! So, at this point, if I do keep the car (interior/ride is great) I can’t imagine keeping it without buying an extended warranty and prepaid maintenance with wear items to cover brake pads/rotors which are apparently going to need constant replacement. Any thoughts here, especially on the poor qualityOEM brake pads/alternatives from any Volvo techs?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your S90 issues. I have a 2018 S99 T8 purchased new and have 18k miles on it now. No issues.

Only thing I wish was the car road quieter. But I have 20 inch tires. Ive replaces the original Pirelli’s with Michelin’s and that helped a lot. Also wish the Sensus system loaded faster.

Other than those items I’m extremely pleased. Hopefully Volvo will help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree about the Pirelli road noise and will also look at another brand when tires need replaced.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes i had some issues too the dashboard had to be replaced leather was coming off . at about 6k rotors were replaced , sensus would turn off it self or freeze but was fixed by soft update. Had same issue with Trans when try to shift R D P car would jerk hard was fixed by soft update . About brakes most cars now days would have less brakes life because they using ECO brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Were the rotors under Warranty at that low mileage or considered wear item?

·
Registered
855 Posts
yes rotors were under warranty. Same happen to my wifes 2017 s60 inscription and they changed them under warranty as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The pirellis are to be replaced ASAP like most junk OEM tires. Stuffing foam into them to quiet them down is asinine, you're supposed to engineer quietness in the tread pattern and damp the wheel wells with a high density fabric like Lexus or BMW does.

I got some fairly cheap Nitto Motivo's as a replacement set. They're much quieter, ride better, and don't squirm much in the rain. Plus with a 60k mileage warranty, they're ideal as the last set you have to put on a lease if you don't plan on keeping it. As an added bonus, there is no foam to break loose and throw a wheel out of balance, ever.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The pirellis are to be replaced ASAP like most junk OEM tires. Stuffing foam into them to quiet them down is asinine, you're supposed to engineer quietness in the tread pattern and damp the wheel wells with a high density fabric like Lexus or BMW does.
The reason those brands use so much "quietness engineering" is because they run noisy run flat tires stock. Even with the "quietness engineering" the road noise is considerably worse than these Volvo with the stock tires as soon as the tires start to wear.

The foam inside is a different item altogether. It absorbs the noise created in the tire cavity. This still exists on those run flat tires and is usually transmitted through the hard components connecting the wheels to the car - not through the wheel wells.

The Pirelli Noise Canceling System is a premium option of its own, and it unfortunately is definitely not perfect yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The reason those brands use so much "quietness engineering" is because they run noisy run flat tires stock. Even with the "quietness engineering" the road noise is considerably worse than these Volvo with the stock tires as soon as the tires start to wear.
I have to disagree with this statement. We make several 2000+ mile trips per year so we're driving over a lot of different roads types. I haven't noticed any difference in road noise between the S90 and my X5 that has run flats. The X5 tires probably have 20,000 or more miles on them so they are getting worn.

I don't really like the run flat ride but we're talking noise and not ride here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hope my '19 S90T8 lasts better than this. I gave up on Honda after 25+ years because of quality concerns and tech problems. Also coming from Hondas, I think this S90 is so much quieter with the road noise, even with the P-Zeros and I enjoy the handling. Makes it not feel like a 4600# car when throwing it around (and playing with the Challenger/Charger race packs on weekends). I do already have several Sensus issues, which they are completely unable to fix, just give me usual dealership fake answer BS. So I've uninstalled everything and turned everything else off and don't use USB music anymore, terrible Sensus system. So far the rest of the car is doing quite well, hope it continues, I need a good car experience for once.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience. My '18 S90 has been great. I bought it used and the previous owner must have played some really loud music as I've had three speakers fail. The dealer has replaced each one without any issue. I really do enjoy driving this car every day.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in road noise between the S90 and my X5 that has run flats.
We were talking about how BMW does more to reduce the noise because there's more noise to reduce, so if they were successful you would indeed not notice more noise in the BMW...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
'18 V90 CC T6 Ocean Race - 22K miles - no issues except to change-out crap brake rotors at 7K. Brake rotors and pads changed under warranty is hardly an indictment of the entire brand. Our prior '15.5 XC60 T6 was trouble free for 57K miles. Our prior '15 V60 T6 had the early rear brake wear issue and a necessary AWD upgrade to the rear diff, but that's it for 70K miles. The German luxury brands are generally worse. The Asian luxury brands are not safe enough to transport my family, so not interested.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Even with the "quietness engineering" the road noise is considerably worse than these Volvo with the stock tires as soon as the tires start to wear.

We were talking about how BMW does more to reduce the noise because there's more noise to reduce, so if they were successful you would indeed not notice more noise in the BMW...
I understood your first quote to mean run flats with some wear and "quiteness engineering" would still be noisier than than the Volvo. That hasn't been my experience.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I understood your first quote to mean run flats with some wear and "quiteness engineering" would still be noisier than than the Volvo. That hasn't been my experience.
Nah, in this segment they have the noise under control. Most complaints I see about the noise seem to be in the 3/4 series, and I imagine the 2-series also lacks the additional noise insulation.

Either way, the RFTs sound issues are not identical to the hum that comes from the tire cavity, as RFT's also have material inside the cavity that changes the character and amplitude of the noise.

The Pirelli NCS is not so much an alternative to engineering on the car as it is a reduced noise tire to compliment whatever other noise reduction techniques were used. It allows the tire manufacturer to focus tread design a little differently while still not having too much noise.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I never understood why people are bothered by issues that happen under warranty. Just take it to the dealer, get a free loaner and pick it up when they are done. No problem at all.

I've only had my 2017 S90 for a couple of weeks now, but thus far it's been good to me. I have one hyper-reactive parking sensor that keeps going off even when there is nothing there, which I am going to have to have replaced under warranty, and I wonder if there is something off with the antenna, as both mobile internet and wifi reception is pretty poor, but other than that it has been great.

I agree that the Pirelli were a very poor choice on Volvo's end. Ive never seen a Pirelli tire i liked. That company makes mostly trash. When the tires it shipped with wear out, I'll put some proper Continental DWS tires on there which should be much better.

Other than that, my only complaint is that I would have preferred the old straight six T6 over this four. It ran so much smoother, had so much better throttle response, and had an absolutely beautiful exhaust note at high RPM's, things that cannot be said for the 2.0 straight four in there now. It is almost diesel-like. I know these things were done for the sake of fuel milage, and sure, mu milage is slightly improved over my S80, but not significantly so.

It would have been better if they had just kept the I6 T6.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Its ok when you go to the dealer once or 2x for issues but 4-5 times thats to much and than you hear nothing found until u call Volvo corp and complain and than you fix it. For me its unacceptable. my Car price was 70k . for 70k i could of rebuild my oldsmobile 20x and wont bother arguing with Volvo dealers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't have any issues with the Pirelli's on the CC, which may just be the dynamics of the Volvo suspension and sound deadening. But I put a set of their runflats on my C300 cabriolet and they scream at highway speeds.

As for the powertrain, right now I'm comparing it to the C300 and it's definitely less responsive and refined. My only real complaint is it seems to downshift too readily going into a turn when it deosn't need to, causing a jerk when it upshifts. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I test drove a 2019 Audi A7 (turbo V6 with dual clutch tranny) and though refined, there was a LOT of throttle lag and thought processing going on when I wanted it to downshift and it wasn't sure it wanted to.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Do you have the Polestar tune VLD?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I've got P* on my MY19 S90 T6 and feel very little to no lag at all compared to the T6 i test drove without it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts