SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 3.2 and I have discovered it's limited to 130mph (electronically I assume). What is the top speed for the T6 and V8?

Also, at 130 mph its reving at 5k rpm. Redline is a 6.5k. This leads me to believe there is a tiny amount of power left. Is there a way to remove the limiter?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Top speed is the same, regardless of engine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know about the 3.2 but the v8 hits this limiter about 3/4 of the way through fourth gear, making the limiter totally lame :_(

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Top speed limiters are usually set by whatever the crappiest OEM tire offering on a particular model will be for a given market. i.e. in the U.S., if some all-season H-rated tire is offered, even if the car is also available with V-rated performance rubber Volvo would play to the lowest common denominator and put a 130 MPH limiter in place.

I have seen a video on Youtube of a 'Polestar' S80 V8 exceeding 260km/hr (162 MPH). The specs claim ~325HP, so not sure what kind of enhancements might have been done. Seems probable that a stock V8 could do 150 - 155MPH. I'm totally guessing, but I think it reasonable that the 3.2 would hit the wall by ~135MPH.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Top speed limiters are usually set by whatever the crappiest OEM tire offering on a particular model will be for a given market. i.e. in the U.S., if some all-season H-rated tire is offered, even if the car is also available with V-rated performance rubber Volvo would play to the lowest common denominator and put a 130 MPH limiter in place.

I have seen a video on Youtube of a 'Polestar' S80 V8 exceeding 260km/hr (162 MPH). The specs claim ~325HP, so not sure what kind of enhancements might have been done. Seems probable that a stock V8 could do 150 - 155MPH. I'm totally guessing, but I think it reasonable that the 3.2 would hit the wall by ~135MPH.

Seems strange that the 3.2 would only be able to hit 135mph. I have been in a V70 in Sweden that has hit 240 kmh with the 3.2. That's about 150mph. Just takes longer to get there.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My Vida says my Canadian 07 V8 is limited at 210 Km/h. I can also set my Adaptive cruise to 210Km/h :D

210=131.25 mph

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why would they do that in only in US? Limit the top speed only based on the tires they offer? It is not done in Europe even if Volvo sells winter tires with speed rating low as Q for XC90 and T for S80. One needs to have a second set of tires anyways since the winter is so cold and long and winter tires are required to be used in winter at least 3 months minimum and about 6 months maximum. It would be unwise even to try to drive around a year with all season tires.
One could always try to negotiate winter tires to be included in the price of new a car. Almost all of the studded winter tires are T class and Volvo sees no problem selling these tires with new cars even if there is no limiter installed or it is 155mph. Just like like mine came with a second set of alloys and studded winter tires (T speed rating) when it was first bought from dealer and it is limited to 250km/h (155mph).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why would they do that in only in US? Limit the top speed only based on the tires they offer? It is not done in Europe even if Volvo sells winter tires with speed rating low as Q for XC90 and T for S80. One needs to have a second set of tires anyways since the winter is so cold and long and winter tires are required to be used in winter at least 3 months minimum and about 6 months maximum. It would be unwise even to try to drive around a year with all season tires.
One could always try to negotiate winter tires to be included in the price of new a car. Almost all of the studded winter tires are T class and Volvo sees no problem selling these tires with new cars even if there is no limiter installed or it is 155mph. Just like like mine came with a second set of alloys and studded winter tires (T speed rating) when it was first bought from dealer and it is limited to 250km/h (155mph).
You have a good point. V tires are listed as recommended for these cars, but V-Rated winter tires are super rare - I think there are only a few in the performance winter category that are V's. Everything else is T or H, including lots of winter performance tires.

And let's not get started on the tire load ratings.

I'm sure there's some sort of legalistic CYA at work here. Regular all season tires, which most people drive, wind up being "over engineered" for the car due to the rev limiter, but are not really b/c all seasons suck in the winter time. Especially performance all seasons.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
My Vida says my Canadian 07 V8 is limited at 210 Km/h. I can also set my Adaptive cruise to 210Km/h :D

210=131.25 mph
I think the cruise control doesn't go any higher than that, though it is weird that your V8 is limited to only 210. That's what Volvos biggers cars are limited to as well, XC70's at least and presumably XC60s as well. I've got a 07 V8 and it's limited at 250 km/h though mine was delivered with 245/40-18 and Y-tires, the latter I think is specified to be able to do 300 km/h.

I think the 250 km/h is kind of an industry standard top speed. I do however know that Volvo has offered, and maybe still are offering, removal of the speed limiter when ordering the car new from the factory. I know the limiter's been possible to remove on P2 cars but not sure if it's possible on P3's or if Volvo would do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have noticed that some s80 v8s have smaler roters in the front as i have here in germany.so keep that in mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts