SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to resurrect an old thread, but I read through and I'm not clear on some of the issues because the discussion kind of wandered... it is here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?204626-Desiring-New-Speakers-for-the-T6

Anyhoo - I am correct in gleaning that the speakers are riveted to the doors or something? When I look at compatible speakers on Crutchfield, they're recommending a new bracket - does this bracket put the speakers at the correct depth to clear the door panel?

I'm not satisfied with the sound quality I'm getting from the standard single-disc stereo in my 2006.

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Door clearance isn't really an issue (it wasn't for me). Window clearance is the issue. The back of speaker driver (the magnet) obtrudes with the window as you roll it down. This is an issue on all four doors if you select some big, good quality speakers for them. It is more of an issue on the rear doors, but existent on the front doors as well.

The rivets need to be pulled out. Don't bother retaining that old factory bracket. It's hard to pull out carefully and creates a big hassle for nothing. I ripped the rivets out, and I pulled off the factory bracket from the door. It's pasted on there with thick dual-sided adhesive tape, but do not worry it's not too hard to get off and usually comes off clean. This procedure applies to all four doors.

As for the speaker wiring, I cut off the factory ends and carefully twisted on new wiring ends that fit on standard coaxial speakers. 6.5" speakers fit on all four doors. I selected D1702Rs from Pioneer for all four doors, but they're 6.75" speakers. I made the hole in the doors a bit bigger to accommodate their size.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I don't know too much about stereo options, but if I had to choose which one to get I would go with Pioneer personally.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
421 Posts
Apologies for not responding swiftly.

You don't want those JBLs that I pictured there. I boxed those things up and shipped them back. Weak speakers with distorted bass. I bought D1702Rs and A1685Rs. Both sound similar with the former sounding a bit more powerful. The 6.5" A1685Rs are solid speakers if you want to stick with 6.5" speakers in general. I am by no means a Pioneer salesman, but I speak from experience. There may very well be speakers out there that sound better than the ones I threw in my S80 T6, but one thing's for sure is that it's hard to beat the quality they deliver. Balanced tone, slightly leaning towards the bassy side of the spectrum. The factory tweeters and built-in tweeters on the speakers make up for higher frequencies, and yes they're audible. Mids are not forgotten as the sound is balanced and reproduces those frequencies well too.

As for the built-in head unit's secret settings I'm not too sure. Someone else might be able to chime in on that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the A1685Rs... What did you do for brackets?

·
Registered
421 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?152298-What-did-you-do-to-your-S80-today/page14

Check out that page (all the way down), and page 15. I've looked through the previous pages of that thread and I don't seem to have mentioned or worked on my speakers at those earlier times at all. If I did, it was notated in the thread I created that you've notated already in your original post.

PS: I've seen your message for a couple days I've been lazy to search through that whole thread I just posted to make sure I didn't post any other information anywhere else. I try to be as helpful as I can. Many have helped me here and taken a lot of time to describe things to me here, so I must pay it forward! =p

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hero -

Thanks for the link, at least I think I can see what I'm in for when I get the door panel removed. Passenger panel is coming off anyway because I'm replacing a torn armrest pad and I should have the Pioneers tomorrow. Since I'm not going up a size as you did, I'm hopeful I won't be dealing with window clearance issues, maybe just have to drill some new holes. If they sound good, I'll replace the rear door ones as well.

Last week I had the HU out and installed a GROM with Bluetooth hands-free and the iPod 30 pin adapter which I routed to the cubby alongside the stereo. Who knows, maybe one day I'll actually register this car hahaha.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No worries. If you can, please take some pictures and share your experience with us and how you went about implementing new speakers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts