SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently discovered the S80 t6, instantly fascinated, but the one I was looking at was dead on the street with a busted transmission. I started looking into this problem, finally concluded that S80 exists with broken gearbox, or about to break gearbox.

Is there a manual gearbox that can be fitted instead of the fragile automatic? Doesn't really seem like a good idea to repeatedly replace GM junk, however nice the rest of the car is..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just recently discovered the S80 t6, instantly fascinated, but the one I was looking at was dead on the street with a busted transmission. I started looking into this problem, finally concluded that S80 exists with broken gearbox, or about to break gearbox.

Is there a manual gearbox that can be fitted instead of the fragile automatic? Doesn't really seem like a good idea to repeatedly replace GM junk, however nice the rest of the car is..
(note to self..) OK, '99-'02s are junk. Still can't find any commentary re: whether '03-'06 trans upgrade fixed the thing, or just postponed the inevitable.. I note that GM cars with this trans seem to get along with it, wonder if a Buick trans and shift controller would be possible? Not the HD version, just the regular GM trans as done by GM, instead of Volvo?

Cars that old likely not worth the bother..

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a friend who, though admittedly a GM mechanic, says that the 4 speed auto is the same one used in their pickups and any issues it has are fixed for about $200 in parts and thinks it's no big deal. In his words "Dude, it's so simple!" I've not tried this theory myself (yet, I also have a 2000 V70XC with the GM automatic). I think the original 5-speed Aisin automatics (~ yr 2000) were far more problematic. Find an S80 with a working transmission, and I'd do a complete flush and cross my fingers. Not like you're into the car for a ton of money.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Google S80 Manual transmission.

(note to self..) OK, '99-'02s are junk. Still can't find any commentary re: whether '03-'06 trans upgrade fixed the thing, or just postponed the inevitable.. I note that GM cars with this trans seem to get along with it, wonder if a Buick trans and shift controller would be possible? Not the HD version, just the regular GM trans as done by GM, instead of Volvo?

Cars that old likely not worth the bother..
Not touching that. Do more research.

I have a friend who, though admittedly a GM mechanic, says that the 4 speed auto is the same one used in their pickups and any issues it has are fixed for about $200 in parts and thinks it's no big deal. In his words "Dude, it's so simple!" I've not tried this theory myself (yet, I also have a 2000 V70XC with the GM automatic). I think the original 5-speed Aisin automatics (~ yr 2000) were far more problematic. Find an S80 with a working transmission, and I'd do a complete flush and cross my fingers. Not like you're into the car for a ton of money.
Nope. Nope nope nope.

Not even close. Transverse and longitudinal transmissions are vastly different. $200 doesn't fix anything, just delay the inevitable. Your V70 doesn't have a GM transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts