SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all and greetings from Finland!

I'm trying to sort out an issue that appeared - and I believe started - after a timing belt change.

I have this weird sound that is exactly the same as in the beginning of this video (please disregard the howling noise caused by the clogged PCV, that is not present on my engine, just the sort of "murmuring" sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NaIjmoAJpI

I had both the timing belt + aux belt + all related pulleys and the water pump changed at a local shop about 13000 km ago.
The problem might have appeared sooner, but I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago and tried to find it on my own at first.

Took it back to the shop for a diagnosis. Nothing specific was found, but the guy changed the timing belt once more under warranty. The noise is still there.

Took it to the Volvo dealership and they had no solid idea what would be causing this, but guessed that either the belt was on too tight (which it was, but loosening didn't help) or water pump bearing was making the noise. The fact that the belt was on too tight suggests that it was too tight the first time also.

Now before I take it back to the garage that did the original belt change and have a discussion about this I'd really like to have some input from you.

Has anyone ever heard a noise like this before?
- It appears to come from behind the VVT pulley on the exhaust camshaft.
- Only starts when engine is at normal operating temperature

Car is a S80 T6 2001 with - believe it or not - close to zero problems so far with about 330000 km on the meter.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i would have to agree and say its the water pump bearing.

other possibility is the oil passages that lubricate the camshaft bearings may be clogged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your input!

I'm not that familiar with how the lubrication works, but when searching on google on the VVT system earlier i saw a diagram on the VVT pulley and solenoid.
Would it make any sense to try to clean out the solenoid housing? I mean, if I understood the diagram correctly the oil flows also to the camshaft bearing through the solenoid (?).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
correct there is grooves on the camshaft bearing that the solenoid forces oil through

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, that is the drawing I saw earlier! OK then, can't hurt to check that just in case. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts