SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to change headlight washing interval on 07 s80? It cleans my headlights all the time and wastes a lot of expensive liquid. I was trying to set it with VIDA but couldn't locate it. Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Might be a fuse you can pull...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think the headlights will wash the first time you use the washer. After that they wont engage until you've either done four additional washes OR, I believe, ten minutes have passed. Might be 15 min, but I think somewhere around that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
From the 2007 manual:
High-pressure headlight washing (option)
High-pressure headlight washing consumes a large quantity of washer fluid. To save fluid, the headlights are washed using two alternatives:

Low/high beam headlights on
The headlights will be washed the first time the windshield is washed. Thereafter, the headlights will only be washed once for every five times the windshield is washed within a 10-minute period.
Parking lights on
Optional Active Bi-Xenon headlights will be washed once for every five times the windshield is washed. Normal halogen headlights will not be washed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would also to make a change to this feature. Maybe have the washers fire on the 3rd pull, not the first. No way to do this in VIDA?

Thx!

·
3,391 Posts
If you simply turn off the headlights (put on the parking lights) when you wash the windshield, it won't wash the headlights.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I got a washer related question. My windshield washer is not spraying fluid high enough to clean the glass completely. I looked at it and could not see anyway to adjust it, I checked for leaks but there does not seem to be any, stream is just low on the glass. Anyone has any ideas? Would I need to replace them?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Try washing the windshield at a stand-still. The fog of washer fluid should hit about three quarters of the height of the windscreen, give or take. The higher the speed the further down the fluid will hit your windshield. I think at high enough speeds my car struggles to wash the glass sufficiently.

Anyhow, if they spray high enough at a stand-still they're fine. If one of them is struggling you could have debris or a bad nozzle (but a clog or something is more likely, try switching the two nozzles' positions and see if the problem moves to the other side or if it persists on the same side, should give a clue as to if the problem pertains to the nozzle or the hose). If both of them struggle to produce a powerful spray then my bet is that the pump is bad. I've heard the headlight washers, if you have xenon lights, use the washer fluids pressure to raise so I'm guessing a bad pump should also manifest in non-functioning headlight washers, but that last part is just speculation from my end.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Check valve may have gone bad. Two minutes to replace. Shipping costs more than the part. When it went on her xc90 I put one in from a 944 that became a spec racer. The new one I ordered has been in the glove compartment for years.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What's the "check valve"? With a couple of squirts it will clean at a stand still, seems like it should be able to output a bit more fluid, the stream is not consistent from one nozzle, the spray looks like there is some blockage. I used a pin to see if I could make some sort of adjustment and that seemed to work to get it up a little higher bit it probably cleared some of the blockage as there is no nozzle to aim as on other cars.

I was thinking of just replacing them, the parts on Tasca does not show the front area, so I can determine if they changed on later model cars, part number has been changed a couple of times which makes me believe they improved the part on later models and have it now for the older cars. One of the reason I want to order replacements, but don't want to end up spending for a part that does the same kind of work although it should be better as it wouldn't have any clogs. Wondering what the opening on the newer cars look like, anyone has photos?

This is how mine looks

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If by check valve you mean return valve, wouldn't it give full power but somewhat delayed? E.g taking a few extra seconds to send all the fluid to the nozzles and then functioning as it should?

There are different versions, yes. There's with and without heating, there's the old nozzle (as in your pictures above) and the new setup with two small nozzles on each side, there's the black plastic top (as in your picture) and the new ones that uses snap-on painted caps.

I think the type above was used MY07-MY13 and that the nozzle type is called Type A or Type I. I ordered a set of caps+nozzles today and parts were $80 excl. paint (don't remember the paints price though). I think it'll be nice to get both the painted caps as well as new nozzle setup. Since there are two streams from each nozzle, one per side is aimed high and one is low. Which also should be nice as I've on a bunch of occasions had some areas of the windshield that wouldn't clean while driving since most of the fluid ended up pretty much in the center of the windshield.

I don't have all the part nos on me but I'll probably make an itwontstopsnowin-esque thread when I install them just to showcase the difference, post some part numbers and what not. But in the meantime here are the parts I ordered:
Cap: 39817605
Nozzle, with heating and designated to use the caps: 31349729 and 31349730 (I thin -29 is left and -30 is right but either way one of each and two caps).

Edit: Just to clarify, the new nozzle type IS available as a regular black plastic kind but the caps wont fit. So get your part numbers right.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'll hold off on ordering mine for now. I need to pop by a dealer to see what the ones on the new cars look like, from your description, that is what i would want to have on my car, if it can fit. I would be happy to make that upgrade, if possible.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have a 2007 S80 V8 as well and I'm sure enough they'll fit. I'm sure I've seen others retrofit them. I'm sure I'll make a thread about it :) I googled and someone claims the nozzles comes with caps. I'll probably get mine next week and we'll see.

As for looks, they look the same... but in the same color as the car. The nozzles are sort of "embedded" into the cap whereas on your current one the nozzle holes are flush with the edge. Crappy explanation but bottom line is they look the same.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd be willing to do them if someone has some instructions on how to install.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Pop your hood and take a look, pretty self explanatory. Don't think the sound proofer needs to be removed either. I think the hardest part is to get the hose off the nozzle end. Worst case scenario, if the hose is long enough I'd just cut it and make a new end. If they're heated you'll see a connector that you, err, disconnect. The nozzles sort of snap on to the hood so, errrr, snap off? I haven't done it but I bought a set from a salvage yard that mislabeled them and were the new nozzles but without caps. Will be returning those, ordered new ones from my dealer instead.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Got any photos of them to share? You mention caps, I'm curious to see what you got to see how they differ from the current ones.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ah, I see! I'll have to check mine and see how they come out and get these to install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts