SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2007 S80 V8 with the dynaudio system. I have a few busted speakers. My question regards what my options are for replacing the worn out speakers. Paying hundreds of dollars per speaker from volvo is not an option. I see a 13 speaker dynaudio set on ebay from an 06 to 11 V70. Are these speakers the same size? I would prefer new aftermarket speakers over old factories that may tear shortly. Does anyone know the speaker sizes that are in my car? I know that if I get new speakers I will have to solder the connectors from the old speakers. Are the mounting holes odd enough where it would require custom mounts? I am pretty sure the busted speakers are the mid and low range speakers in the doors and not any of the tweeters.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I can't find a set for our 07 S80's

I know the fronts are a 6.5" speaker.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Check with the technical staff at www.Crutchfied.com They helped me replace the original radio/cassette system for my 1994 Volvo 940 a few years back. They specialize in DIY audio installations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked the part numbers and they don't match the v70. It is unclear from the diagram on the online parts store which parts numbers are for the front and rear doors.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I don't run windows as my native OS so I don't bother booting over to VIDA all too often but I can get back with part numbers if you'd like. What I do know is that the early dynaudio systems had the same bass speakers for both the front and rear doors. I know this because both my rear ones failed for some reason. Apparently not too uncommon and I don't know why. Diagnosed it by using a AA 1,5 V battery and placing the leads on the speaker side connector. No reaction whereas the 1,5 V was enough to make the front, functional, speakers give off a small pop.

I bought two used speakers from a salvage yard at a total of around 1900 SEK. Retail price was 2100 SEK per speaker. So about $220 for two used ones from a low-miled C30 or $250/speaker for new ones. The parts guy I spoke to recommended I could, if I didn't want to shelf out all that money on speakers, fit speakers from the high performance stereo instead since they were only around 400 SEK each for new ones, about $50 each, if that's any help as to fitting new speakers.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Okay so I checked up the part numbers and it seems there are three sets of speakers. These are the bass speakers. I forgot the bit where you said the part no's don't match the V70 ones but I could look in to that later, out of own curiosity actually. But I think they should be the same. It's the same dynaudio system after all.

a) 30797726 - same front and rear. Only said they were used on S80s chassis no. -134000.
b) 8676891 - Also same ones front and rear. Used on 134001-186000
c) 31438020 - Front speaker part no starting with chassis no 186001-. The rears are the same as b).

I have the first set in my 2007 and mine have a sticker on the side. Just remove the door card and take a peek. If you figure out which ones you have in the front from the factory you'll be able to figure out what speakers you have in the rest of the car.

Edit: Schmoyoho top tip: Play some music with at least some bass. Play around with the fader and balance sliders to single in on doors. If it's a bass speaker that's gone you will notice for sure. Both my rear ones were broken and you couldn't really tell sitting in the front seat but after I replaced them it did wonders for the overall bass quality and, err, the oomph.

Ones you've singled in on which speakers are broken, take off the door card and disconnect the speaker. Find a small battery and use some wires to connect it to the speakers. I used a 1,5 V AA battery (as I now see I said above, lol). No pop=broken. Pop means it's working, which is unfortunate because that means the wiring might be bad which is a lot trickier to tackle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They still work. They sound like they are torn. There is a definite buzzing sound coming from the front door speakers. I am pretty sure its from someone cranking it when they borrowed my car. I am out of town at the moment and won't be able to get to it for a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts