SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2007-2013+ S80 has body colored lower body panels. Older Volvos have matte black rocker panels which make the vehicles look less bulky. Going against the one-color-allover styling trend and wanting a modded look I had a wrap shop apply satin black 3M vinyl to the rocker panels and door chrome, front lip, lower grill chrome strip, and rear bumper skirt of our 2012 S80. Note how it lines up with the factory installed black mud flaps.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
To each their own. I personally don't like it when lower panels are a different color unless they're purpose built cladding (like an XC70 or Allroad). It cheapens out the car in my opinion, especially when they're dark grey or black.

That's likely a result of growing up in a family that only purchased American cars, many of which had lower models with plastic cladding and higher end models with body color cladding and bumpers. My grandmother had a Saturn SL which was differentiated by painted vs. plastic clad bumpers and my dad owned several Grand Cherokees (Laredo vs. Limited).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
To each their own. I personally don't like it when lower panels are a different color unless they're purpose built cladding (like an XC70 or Allroad). It cheapens out the car in my opinion, especially when they're dark grey or black.
Everyone has a preference. I prefer to avoid the cladding look for the same reasons. I grew to hate it on my XC70, and had some of the cladding on my XC90 painted body color. Would have painted all of it, if the wife had let me

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that cladding can be overdone and the first generation XC70 is a prime example of that styling issue. I avoided the second generation XC70 because the exterior cladding and bumpers were still a bit overdone. First generation S80 images at Swedespeed have painted black side rocker panels, front spoiler lip and rear bumper skirt. That part of the car gets most of road rash and tar deposit damage.

What colors did you choose for your new S80 COMark?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I agree that cladding can be overdone and the first generation XC70 is a prime example of that styling issue. I avoided the second generation XC70 because the exterior cladding and bumpers were still a bit overdone. First generation S80 images at Swedespeed have painted black side rocker panels, front spoiler lip and rear bumper skirt. That part of the car gets most of road rash and tar deposit damage.

What colors did you choose for your new S80 COMark?
Barriatz Blue. We looked hard at the Flamenco red, but the S60 in the bright sunlight we saw it on looked too orange for her tastes

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barriatz Blue looked great on a fellow OSD couple's S80 that we saw in Norway. They ordered the sanded silver interior trim. The bronze color that is available for 2013 S80's would have tempted us if we had waited for a 2013 model.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We also got the sanded silver trim, with the beige leather. I wanted to get the two-tone interior but got overruled

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I see, it will be HER new car. It was the same scenario with the OSD couple we had Norwegian dinner with in small fjord village. The wife made the final decision on this same combination of exterior and interior colors. She let her husband think he was helping her choose! A twin of your new OSD S80 is now somewhere in Pennsylvania.

Well have a great time on your imminent OSD trip. Please post some notes or pictures during or after your experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts