SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S80 AWD is, officially, not a concept anymore. We will be seeing it in about one year or so.

Still, I don't know what the main benefit of such car would be but...anyway!

Yannis

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... (GrecianVolvo)

An AWD S80 !! That would be amazing! A car this size, I find, loses some of its ability on handling (I guess I'm use to driving smaller cars), especially on quick turns. An AWD system on the S80 would truly make this car even more unique, and impressive. Kudos to Volvo for taking this step!!

S.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... (Toronto_S80T6)

Wow, thanks Yannis. Any idea what motors will be offered. For instance, the 60/70 AWD is just 2.4T.

I believe Volvo should offer an S80 Sport with the R motor, AWD and spaceball 6-speed. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

George

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... ([email protected])

quote:

Wow, thanks Yannis. Any idea what motors will be offered. For instance, the 60/70 AWD is just 2.4T.
Actually, pardon me for forgetting to mention that originally, there will be an S80 2.5T. I think that is an excellent move as that motor is lighter and torquier than the normally aspirated 2.9L used currently. But that motor will be offered with FWD. The AWD will be offered with the T-6 engine.

quote:

I believe Volvo should offer an S80 Sport with the R motor, AWD and spaceball 6-speed. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif
Down boy, down! http://********************/smile/emwink.gif You are a wild man!

Yannis

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... (audio64)

Those sound like excellent improvements. I heard that next-gen S80 will have a front end treatment similar to the XC 90. Personally, I would love to see a manual transmission. That would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

quote:

Will the MY of the S80 AWD availability also incorporate a face lift ?
Yes.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... ([email protected])

quote:

Hey Yannis, I hear this is still undecided for the USA. Also, if it does come, I hear it could be the T5 motor so they can run the 5spd auto tranny rather than the 4spd unit.
George,

I have "heard" that it is all but a done deal; the engine is still debatable. The T-5 makes sense although not as "refined" for that segment. I haev heard that the "new" inline-6 will be able to accommodate a 5-speed tranny (and a 6? http://********************/smile/emwink.gif ) Due out for MY2006.

Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts

The facelift will first show I think in Amsterdam and then again in Geneva. It's possible they may bump it up to Detroit in light of the VCC's absence, but otherwise, I'd expect them to show then and follow not too long after that in dealerships.

As for AWD, I'm not too sure.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

AWD is still 2 model years away...

Yannis

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... (GrecianVolvo)

Hello fellow Volvo enthusiasts! I have been reading Swedespeed for some time and have come to realize that GrecianVolvo really seems to know his stuff. However, if that is the case, let me ask him this:

I sold VOLVOs during 2000 and 2001 and one of the biggest complaints about the T6 is torque-steer, VOLVO has the mechanics for an S80 T6 AWD now in the XC90 T6 and could solve that issue very inexpensively and easily. Why would they not incorportate that change in this facelift?

I just think it would make sense that they would improve the car that much as soon as they could. Any insight?

Thanks,

T_Racer

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... (T_Racer)

quote:

Hello fellow Volvo enthusiasts! I have been reading Swedespeed for some time and have come to realize that GrecianVolvo really seems to know his stuff. However, if that is the case, let me ask him this:

I sold VOLVOs during 2000 and 2001 and one of the biggest complaints about the T6 is torque-steer, VOLVO has the mechanics for an S80 T6 AWD now in the XC90 T6 and could solve that issue very inexpensively and easily. Why would they not incorportate that change in this facelift?

I just think it would make sense that they would improve the car that much as soon as they could. Any insight?

Thanks,

T_Racer
If you sold Volvos you should know better! http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif All kidding aside, you know it is just ansap of the finger to put a new drivetrain in place and crash certify it for a certain country. Plus you have the internal struggles in various Volvo committees where various "experts" argue about the feasibility and profitability of such idea.

BTW, the torque steer on an S80 T6 is not a big deal. A lot of people make a huge deal out of it when they should not.

Yannis

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: S80 AWD is coming up... (psycho-)

oops...dummy me. I just don't keep up much on the S80. I currently have an S60 but would love to have a sedan with more back seat room (20 month old son who kicks the back of the front seats) and a manual transmission.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts