SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.. A purchasing question from a Newbie. I am looking at a 1998 S70 T5 Manual with 69K miles.. What should I look for in terms of things that might need replacing, common problems, etc? The guy is only asking $13K for the thing, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. Does the price seem right for that year and mileage? Edmunds seems to thing that it is in the ballpark and even pretty cheap.

When is the timing belt service due for these cars? Is it 60K like on the 850? If it hasn't been done, how much can I expect to pay for a major service? Can I do the service myself (assuming I am reasonably mechanically inclined..)

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: S70 Purchase.. (thrashwrx)

Sounds like a great price! FYI, my 98 S70 T5 SEM last year was purchased for $19K. It only had 38K on it.

With that milage, I'd change the timing belt, water pump, maybe look into a spark plug, distributor tune up kit (IPD?). A/C evaporators and compressors are big failures, maybe see if there was any work done on it, stickers indicating any dye added to the system? The front suspension can make some clunking sounds, maybe keep an ear in that direction. Its a fairly inexpensive part if its the strut mount, but labor is timely. Look at the doors. I haven't had any problem, but I guess the leather on the panels is prone to come off?!

Kind of a long list, but ask anyone here, and I'm sure they'll say that they love their car! I know I do. When you get settled with it, save your bucks for a reprogrammed ECU. It really helped smooth out the powerband, gained 40 HP and gave gobs of torque.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Re: S70 Purchase.. (thrashwrx)

Sounds like a good price. I paid $20M for my '99 T5A with 33k mi six months ago. Have it checked out by a mechanic. The timing belt is due at 70k, however the serpentine belt I think is due at 60k. On my 850 I had them both done at 70k. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: S70 Purchase.. (Wayne T5)

quote:

Sounds like a good price. I paid $20M for my '99 T5A with 33k mi six months ago
I hope you only paid $20K for your car.. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

Anyhow, I haven't been able to get ahold of the guy to look at the car after exchanging a lot of e-mail. I don't think that's a good sign. Thanks for all the info!

- Greg

[Modified by thrashwrx, 3:32 PM 11-12-2002]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts