SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are manual transmission fanatics. We had to special order our standard(non-turbo) S 70 and wait three months to get a 5 speed. I am quite interested in getting a V 50; the post that discusses the 2007 Overseas Delivery options is showing the 5 speed is ONLY available on the AWD 218hp car. Two questions<p>1) Do any V50/S40 AWD owners have any data on gas mileage. I'm wondering what kind of hit I'd take going to the AWD just to get a 5-speed vs the 2WD.<p>2) Anyone out there switched from a Volvo manual to the Volvo autostick? Comments?<p>TIA<p>Fred

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
the AWD is a 6spd and I think you'll really enjoy it. Very crisp gearbox. As for mileage, I averaged 24-25 mpg generally on the highways overseas but the car was brand new and the mileage was starting to improve a bit. I don't think it will get much better than that though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Big Will)

Thanks. My S70 gets 30 on the highway - I just may have to decide if it's worth the ding in mileage to have a manual......and it probably is, to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: (applejf)

I own an '05 V50 T5 FWD 6 speed manual. To date my best mpg (according to the car's computer) was 34.6 on a ~340 mile trip out to Carlisle. It was almost all highway and I had the cruise set just south of 75 mph. On the highway I average from 31-34 mpg. With mixed driving I average 26-29 mpg. I haven't seen anything less than 24 mpg on a tank full. <p>Are 2006 Overseas Delivery options still available? You could still get the manual 6-speed in the '06 V50 T5 FWD.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by v50t5black at 6:39 AM 7-6-2006</i>

·
Registered
29 Posts
My T5 AWD Geartronic averages about 26 MPG, if I am really staying off the pedal and staying in cruise control I can get that to 29 MPG. I am satisfied however with my 26 MPG and driving normally.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: S70 owner/lurker has a question about S40/V50 (applejf)

I have a 2005 S40 T5 6-speed manual. So I would assume you could get the V50 T5 in 2005 with a 6-speed, is that incorrect?<p>If you don't want the AWD maybe look for a used one?<p>I get over 30 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: S70 owner/lurker has a question about S40/V50 (Kaizai)

Just an opinin about the autostick. I drove it once on the V50 T5 AWD when I was doing my car selection, then recently on a S60 2.5T. The V50 T5 AWD seemed sluggish compared to the manual S40's and V50's I drove at the time. The more recent S60 2.5T was reasonable - not too sluggish.<p>The thing I didn't like it about it even more than the seeming sluggishness was the response. The S60 geartronic experience was more recent, so is fresher in my head. Ask for a new gear, and then you have to wait. Ask for a downshift, and the car lurches - no such thing as a smooth, double-clutched downshift. Even upshifts seemed kind of awkward. I suppose one can get used to it, but for my own part, I got annoyed by the lurching so much that I switched over to fully automatic!<p>If you're on the fence, it's probably something you can live with, and indeed has its advantages. But if you and your wife are manual fanatics, I think you would probably be MUCH happier with the 6-speed manual, which as Big Will says is pretty good (in my opinion the shifter itself is second best in class, second only to the Acura TSX. I tried them all!).<p>Bassman<br>

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: S70 owner/lurker has a question about S40/V50 (bassman)

Thanks for the recent posts on mileage numbers. Comforting. And the more I have thought about it, I'm sure we will hold out for a manual, even if we have to go looking for a used V50.<p>thanks again,<p>Fred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts