SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,<p>I am the owner of a 1999 Volvo S70 and have recently been having problems with the coolant light coming on. I have checked the coolant reservoir many times and it is properly filled. <p>About four months ago I had my car's AC compressor replaced at the dealer. I never had trouble with the coolant light coming on until this repair was performed. Also, the coolant light does not stay lit constantly. It seems to light up when I am driving over bumpy side roads around town. Could this be a loose sensor?<p>Just looking for some initial feedback before I take the car back to the dealer. Hopefully this isn't something serious or costly!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Re: S70 Coolant Light - On but Coolant Not Low??? (BdoUK)

you probably have a faulty sensor in the coolant reservoir...lift up the <br>reservoir (not hard) and you should see a wire to the sensor...wiggle it and the light will probably go on and off ..this should verify if thats the problem

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
You sure it's not the windshield wiper fluid level low indicator lamp? These lamps look similar. If so, simple solution is to fill your wiper fluid tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is definitely the coolant light. I lifted the resevoir earlier and pushed the wire up a bit. It looks like it might be a little loose at the bottom of the tank. The light isn't currently coming on but I have a feeling it will again once I start driving on the wonderful Lexington streets.<p>Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Re: (BdoUK)

I had this happen to me on a long drive. Was confused, because I knew the level was fine earlier. Then, I worried that the water pump was just going out or some hose ruptured. I kept a careful eye on the temp gauge.<p>After after a few minutes and slowing down to pull off on the shoulder prior to entering another stretch of highway, the light went off.<p>My conclusion is that the sensor simply got lodged to the side during a turn or some movement and failed to return to the top, hence the light. I don’t know if there is some delay built in to eliminate false triggers.<p>At any rate, the coolant level was slightly above maximum.<p>regards,<br>MAJ

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
No sensor floating in these tanks. The electrical connection is made through the coolant if I remember correctly. So, if the sensor isn't covered with fluid it will show low level...this is of course unless the sensor wire or sensor itself has a short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts