SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a '98 S70 w/5speed, 2w/d, non turbo, and the clutch slave cyl is leaking. Two mechanics have told me the bellhousing will have to be removed to replace the part, and while it's off, may as well replace the clutch. Not a bad idea about the clutch, but does anyone know if removal of the bellhousing is necessary? Need to save whatever I can at this point. Thanks for any help!!

Walt Barnett

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: S70 Clutch Slave Cylinder (hohound)

There are two different types of slave cylinders for your year. Volvo went to the "SAC" release bearing 20 weeks into the production of the 1998 models. If you can take a pic of the slave for me I'll tell you what you have and wheter or not you'll have to remove the slave. If the slave is cylindrical with a piston coming out to a metal bar, then you will not have to remove the bell housing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: S70 Clutch Slave Cylinder (gdogg16)

Not set up to send a pic, but from what you say and what I've seen in searching around, mine is the "gotta tear it apart" variety. There is no lever visible on the outside, just a small cylinder with a bleed valve, and the other end disappears into the bell housing thru a rubber boot, without so much as an attaching bolt. Sounds like bad news, eh? What a stupid arrangement! Thanks very much for your reply, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear!

Thanks again, Walt

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: S70 Clutch Slave Cylinder (hohound)

this is the Self Adjusting Clutch slave that requires the removal of the trans.

Quote »

A new self-adjusting clutch with code SAC (Self Adjusting Clutch) and a concentric placed throwout bearing with integrated hydraulic clutch slave cylinder introduced in week 20 1997
A new clutch control with centrally positioned throwout bearing and integrated clutch slave cylinder has the following advantages:
-Fewer mechanical components.
-Hydraulic system to throwout bearing.
Note! Introduced on all models C70/S70/V70.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.