SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Any suggestions on oil types and change periods? In the MB, they use Mobil 1 and change only when the service indicator suggests, typically 10 000 miles or 16000 km.
My dealer said every 3000 miles (5000 km) for the S60T.

Is it worth the extra dough to use a synthetic oil, and is it safe to change less often if you do, and if so, how often?

Thanks

Raymond

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
For sure, Mobile 1 synthetic every 3,500 miles or 6 months, you can't go wrong and it is worth it IMHO...

Also, don't forget the break-in strategy for your new car:

1. Try not go above 75 mph for the first 1200miles. If you are on the highway at higher speeds, try to vary the road speed and don't spend to much time 'crusing' at one steady speed.

2. Keep the revs below 4500 rpm, but it is good to vary engine speed during the break in period. Just drive normally, but don't overtax the engine. Changes in engine speed is more important than changes in road speed for the break-in period.

3. Most people agree that using synthetic on turbocharged engines is the best way to go right from the start. Most Volvo turbo owners agree that Mobile 1 is the best synthetic.

4. Volvo has a long and distingushed record for turbocharging. With today's turbocharged engines, it is not really necessary to wait before shutting the engine down when driving slow, but it would be a good practice if you want long and useful turbo life. Although, it is always a good practice to wait up to a minute if you are turning off the engine after high-speed driving. This waiting period lets the turbine spin down and lets the oil circulate freely before the engine is turned off.

-Drew

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by raymondp:
Hi

Any suggestions on oil types and change periods? In the MB, they use Mobil 1 and change only when the service indicator suggests, typically 10 000 miles or 16000 km.
My dealer said every 3000 miles (5000 km) for the S60T.

Is it worth the extra dough to use a synthetic oil, and is it safe to change less often if you do, and if so, how often?

Thanks

Raymond
The scheduled intervals for this car are every 7,500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. If you use conventional oil I would do an oil and filter change at 3,750 miles/6 months. Synthetic oil is definitely worth the money, especially if you plan on keeping this car for a while. If you use synthetic, you can stretch to 7,500 mile-intervals. I think that using synthetic and then dumping it every 3,750 miles you are probably wasting your money. But if this gives you peace of mind, then it is worth it!

Everything is relative.

Yannis

·
Registered
72 Posts
I strongly believe that the best oil made is Amsoil's 0W-30 Series 2000. It's upwards of $8 per quart, but if I'm keeping it in for 7500 miles, I want an oil rated for 50,000 miles. It's all in the additive package.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by V70SAM:
I strongly believe that the best oil made is Amsoil's 0W-30 Series 2000. It's upwards of $8 per quart, but if I'm keeping it in for 7500 miles, I want an oil rated for 50,000 miles. It's all in the additive package.

Sam
So (for argument's sake) why would you want to change the oil every only 7,500 miles when it would be good for 50,000 miles (no such miracle oil exists, anyway)?

If an oil is good enough to last at least 10,000 miles, then it is good enough for 7,500 miles. Most synthetic oils, today, are good enough for such intervals. Surely, there are certain brands that can stretch even further. But if you are going to spend the extra bucks for such oil, then why not keep it there longer and get your money's worth? It would be the same if you used regular oil; you know you can safely leave it there for 3,500 to 5,000 miles but you are going to change it, anyway, every 1,000 miles...IMO, that is a waste of both $$$ and resources.

But it all comes down to personal preferences, anyway. One just has to wonder what is the fine balance between being responsible for the envirnonment, financial sense and babying his/her car.

Yannis

P.S. In Europe, where most people have a "deeper" and more intimate relationship with their cars, oil changes occur every (at least) 10,000 km (6,200 miles) and as much as 15,000 km (9,300 miles).

·
Registered
12 Posts
We may have a deeper relationship with our cars but we have a lot higher costs too!
Here in the UK the service interval for the S60 is 12,000 miles -- and that applies to oil changes as well. I believe on the last of the old shape V70's it's 10,000 miles.
This, in my opinion, is Volvo keeping up with the market place here, where the service intervals are being stretched on all cars - some I believe are up to 20,000 miles or 1 year.
And, unfortunately we don't have the convenience of corner oil-shops (sorry sure there's a better term) for oil changes.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by TonyM:
We may have a deeper relationship with our cars but we have a lot higher costs too!
Here in the UK the service interval for the S60 is 12,000 miles -- and that applies to oil changes as well. I believe on the last of the old shape V70's it's 10,000 miles.
This, in my opinion, is Volvo keeping up with the market place here, where the service intervals are being stretched on all cars - some I believe are up to 20,000 miles or 1 year.
And, unfortunately we don't have the convenience of corner oil-shops (sorry sure there's a better term) for oil changes.

Tony
Costs (both in original costs of purchasing a car in Europe plus maintenance) is definitely one major factor that drives that..."intimacy"!

Yannis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts