SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing rumours that the first S60Rs go on production in week 24 of this year, i.e. June!!!

I've not been able to get any comment from the local franchises but they say that it is possible since the S60 was ready for production over 2 years ago but Volvo decided to hold it back till the new V70 was launched.

Keep your eyes and ears open for any hints from your dealers and do let the rest of us know of any developments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's all fine and dandy and I am glad that Volvo is making great leaps in performance and design...but. alas, it is all for naught if the car is going to be priced in the high $40,000 range like speculation suggests.

Why get so excited about something that I will never get to drive, let alone own.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not to sound inflammatory, but…

I don't particularly care whether YOU can afford it or not; I'm excited too.

I doubt that the car will be priced in the high 40's but even it is, the enthusiasm here is a result of the engineering marvel that Volvo will bring to market. And isn't a result of an affordability model. Especially not one based on your income.

"You wanna play, you gotta pay"

That's what I would tell people who would try to negotiate down the price of the modified Audi S4 that I just sold.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have a feeling that Volvo will have no trouble at all selling the S60R. There are people who are already on Volvo dealer waiting lists for the S60R, a car that doesn't even exist yet. A lot of people were surprised when the T-Gul 850 T5-R first came out, but it was a relative success.

-Drew

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was asked to explain so I will....

My point is, if you read my message carefully, is that I am very excited for Volvo to make such a marvel as the S60R (if it remains what was seen at the auto show) and I am also glad that such innovations as the active chassis can exist in modern vehicles. I bought my S60 T5 due to such innovations in design and performance. Would I rather of had a BMW M5, Mercedes CLK55, or Audi S4...sure, but my finances would not afford it and because of that, I am more excited about my new T5 than any of the above, mentioned cars. Are they marvels of the autombile world...Yes! Can I afford one...No! Excitement Level when I see one of these cars drive by me...Very minimal. Excitement level if I won one of these cars and was driving it...probable very high. Excitement level when I drive my T5...extremely high.

All I was saying is it's hard to get overly excited about something that I will never get to experience. I read tons of auto magazines and I see hundreds of cool vehicles, high-performance machines, and exotic makes, but the ones that I truly adore are the ones that the "common" man (me) can drive....one that I can envision myself in based on finanical considerations.

To put it into context, what would be more exciting to you...the fact that your neighbor/friend just won $10,000,000 or that it was your prize.

I hope this helps explain!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Puff-
Thanks for the explanation...

I've gotta tell you, other then the "Quattro" there is nothing I miss about my 2000 S4. And that's coming from someone who has owned 6 Audi's over the past 10 years.

P.S.- are you the same "the puff" from Audiworld.com?

[This message has been edited by ch7656 (edited 03-25-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
In last week's Auto Week they mention that Volvo has given the go ahead for the high performance S60 (assuming they will call it the R version). they state in the article that it will have AWD and around 300 hp. CAN'T WAIT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.