SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a bit of googling has lead me to believe I want to get a set of PIAA super silicone wipers for my 2007 S60R, however from what I'm seeing on every website that lets you search by vehicle they won't fit? I thought wipers were fairly standard. I know the R uses 24" and 22" and the PIAA super silicone wipers are offered in those sizes... Anyone used them?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't know if it's the shape of our windshield or what, but every pair of wipers I try suck.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
OE wipers blades + glass repellant treatment (Rain-X, wax, etc.) = one very happy driveR. Have you tried treating your windshield?

I replace the blades maybe annually. My car is parked in a heated garage at home and outside at work (no shade after 10 AM)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Rain-X or aquapel does wonders. It also stops the blades from squeaking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried Rain-X on my old car and it seemed to make it so that every time I used my wipers the windshield would have a slight fogging effect on it for about 2 seconds after the wiper went by. It was really irritating because in any kind of serious rain it would never go away. As the Rain-X wore off it got better, but it took a few months disappear entirely. I don't know why I had that issue but it kind of put me off windshield treatments. Likewise the only time I tried the solid bar style wipers I had all kinds of issues with streaking and inconsistent contact within a month after buying them.

It seems like the Bosch Icons get the most positive feedback, but even they have plenty of people saying they suck and they are the bar style which I find hard to trust after that bad experience. That said the bar ones I tried were Rain-X and it seems they are fairly universally panned. At the moment I'm trying to decide between the Icons and the PIAA silicones. I like the PIAAs because they are traditional style wipers, but I can't find anyone who has used them and can say for sure they fit an S60R.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tried Rain-X on my old car and it seemed to make it so that every time I used my wipers the windshield would have a slight fogging effect on it for about 2 seconds after the wiper went by. It was really irritating because in any kind of serious rain it would never go away. As the Rain-X wore off it got better, but it took a few months disappear entirely. I don't know why I had that issue but it kind of put me off windshield treatments. Likewise the only time I tried the solid bar style wipers I had all kinds of issues with streaking and inconsistent contact within a month after buying them.
I put some on my Plymouth thinking it would aid the old 60's wiper technology. Had the same result as you. The bottle of Rain-X hasn't moved from the shelf I put it on 5 years ago.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Admittedly the Rain-X did otherwise work exactly as advertised. Going above 50mph water would just blow right off the windshield, it was pretty incredible.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I just treated my windshield to a deep deep clean before sandy (#0000 steel wool, new OE wipers, Aquapel inside and out) and it's amazing how clear it is. Sometimes I forget I still have a windshield lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, yeah I guess I was trying to find the conventional design. It would appear that the blade style is my only option for this car. I've decided to try cleaning my windshield properly and see if that makes any difference before I buy a $60 set of wipers. I think my wipers (which appear to be Bosch Icons at the moment) may be fine and my windshield may just have too much crap on it for them to work right.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Thanks, yeah I guess I was trying to find the conventional design. It would appear that the blade style is my only option for this car. I've decided to try cleaning my windshield properly and see if that makes any difference before I buy a $60 set of wipers. I think my wipers (which appear to be Bosch Icons at the moment) may be fine and my windshield may just have too much crap on it for them to work right.
Try some #0000 steel wool. My windshield afterwards was smooth as...well glass lol got ride of all the little debris and such.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Also try cleaning your wiper blades, usually with a little bit of IPA.

(IPA= IsoPropyl Alcohol)

Depending on your current wipers (I don't want you to damage anything)

Ok SORRY EVERYTHING IN BOLD IS BAD ADVICE.

try denatured alcohol. I just read IPA is bad stuff for some wipers....

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just treated my windshield to a deep deep clean before sandy (#0000 steel wool, new OE wipers, Aquapel inside and out) and it's amazing how clear it is. Sometimes I forget I still have a windshield lol.
just out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to use rain repellant on the inside of your windshield?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have used PIAA whipers before and this is the best wiper I have used.
Better than OEM wiper or Bosch wipers.
I am planning to buy PIAA wipers again.
It does make Rain X effect.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
just out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to use rain repellant on the inside of your windshield?
Sorry just read that. I used Aquapel repellant on the outside and Aquapel cleaner on the inside.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just put OEM ones on from IPD and they are perfect. I don't like the stupid "adapter piece" all the other wiper blades need to work with our wiper arms. It makes them sit higher and all the other types I have tried are way bulkier then the OEM ones.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Weirdest thing... I bought a frameless wiper from the local dollar store and it's worked better than all the 20 dollar wipers I've used in the past. And it's been working flawlessly for the past couple of years. Too bad it was the last one. They never stocked them again. And plus on on the rainX.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.