SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reserved for write-up. Just adding pictures and some tips before I forget them.

Covers installation of this radiator from FCPEURO.

* The radiator is correct for both GT and MT.

* Included are replacement shock absorbers for the side mounts.

* Included are two square washers, because the 2 FAN bolts need something to screw into. The mounting hole is slightly different. You can put the square washers in even after everything is mounted, and that's probably the best time.

* Jack the car up pretty high. I used a thick C# book on top of the jack. Should've used two for the extra height. 2 more inches would've been helpful.

* Unbolt the two long 10mm bolts per side (horizonally oriented) to separate the coolant radiator from the intercooler.

* Unbolt the 1 long 10mm bolt per side (vertically oriented) which is holding the entire assembly to the car's frame. These bolts have a larger washer. These bolts go through the shock absorbers on each side mount.

* After unbolting but before trying to get the radiator out, remove the S-shaped spring mounts on the top of the radiator.

* I had to file down the sides on one of the S-shaped spring mounts to make it fit the plastic gap on the new radiator.

* Remove the right (passenger) side first, then you can slide out the left (driver) side, then lower the entire radiator.

Old one coming out ... right then left.

New one going in, left then right.

New radiator installed, before electric fan.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
You are putting up some awesome write ups.. Good contribution to the community.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It doesn't look like it from the picture, but did you have to move the intercooler or drop it out in order to get the radiator in?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Grok, i'm doing the same job literally right now along w/ FMIC install... how did you account for the volume of trans fluid in the cooler? just drain it into a bottle then add it to the fill port after? Mine's an 06 so its a little more of a PITA as i understand since theres no dipstick...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grok, i'm doing the same job literally right now along w/ FMIC install... how did you account for the volume of trans fluid in the cooler? just drain it into a bottle then add it to the fill port after? Mine's an 06 so its a little more of a PITA as i understand since theres no dipstick...
I have manual, that wasn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't look like it from the picture, but did you have to move the intercooler or drop it out in order to get the radiator in?
The (( engine coolant radiator || intercooler || ac cooler )) are sandwiched. The two side handles on the radiator hole everything in place with 2 bolts to the frame.
As you can see from my pictures, the intercooler stayed in the car. 4 bolts hold the radiator to the intercooler.
To release the radiator you need to undo: 2 hoses, 2 bolts to frame, 4 bolts to intercooler, and 2 bolts on the S-spring to the top mount position.
Slide the entire assembly as far to the driver side as possible. Start wiggling and prying the passenger side until you get it clear. Then drivers side can slide out and down.

It was a medium effort to fight the positioning of the intercooler while trying to release the radiator.
Used a jack to push up on the drivers side while I fought the passenger side.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The (( engine coolant radiator || intercooler || ac cooler )) are sandwiched.
It was a medium effort to fight the positioning of the intercooler while trying to release the radiator.
Used a jack to push up on the drivers side while I fought the passenger side.
Once you take out the bolts, what is holding the intercooler in place? I thought they shared the same bolts?

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
thread renamed. This should be universal for all Rs not just 2004 S60Rs. This has also been added to the sticky thread.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Top work!

·
Registered
919 Posts
The intercooler hoses will support the assembly, as well as the AC lines. They can handle the weight pretty well and still have some flex.

I found the keeping a solid object about 12-14" tall around to rest the assembly on, was very handy as well.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The intercooler hoses will support the assembly, as well as the AC lines. They can handle the weight pretty well and still have some flex.

I found the keeping a solid object about 12-14" tall around to rest the assembly on, was very handy as well.
Complete? Good job. Did you get a picture of the other coolant attachments hooked up on you GT?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm guessing you're referring to the trans cooler lines? Well they're nothing special really- my concern was for gts tho since the trans fluid level check procedur for 06-07 is stupid hard, how to be sure of replacing the right amt of fluid... So I just drained all the trans fluid I could out of the radiator into a bottle, and I'm gonna put that much + a guesstimate based on the size of the trans fluid stain on my driveway back in :)

Yeah, it'll be real precise, haha

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nah, I just filled the reservoir, had someone start the car with the cap still off and me over the fill port with the container of coolant. It sucks it down fast and the bubbles come out so you just keep filling until the level is stable.

Thinking about it tho you want to minimize the initial air in lines bc having the pump hit air pockets isn't good... So you should fill the coolant res with the upper rad hose disconnected, up until the coolant meets that level, then reconnect and do as before.

I still haven't filled rad yet on this job so I'll try it way #2 this time, but did do the coolant job before using method #1.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guess I did it the dangerous way. Filled to capacity, ran engine and kept filling reservoir as thermostat would open allowing more coolant through system, and thus pushing bubbles out. At some point, it stopped needing more coolant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
how did you remove th splash shield under the front bumper? How did you remove a top půate that cover all three heat exchangers? Did you remove the back fen? I do not see how I could get to those bolts unless I remove all that shielding around.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
how did you remove th splash shield under the front bumper? How did you remove a top půate that cover all three heat exchangers? Did you remove the back fen? I do not see how I could get to those bolts unless I remove all that shielding around.
you remove two 10mm bolts on each side of the chassis and use a long flat to un-clip the front part of undercover...top metal/půate part? it does not come off, radiator comes out from bottom...another words you jack up the car...but I am little bit worried for you since you are not able to figure out how to remove the plastic undercover.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts