SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in the process of converting my 07 S60R back to the ALU arms and respective ball joints (lighter setup... plus I can adjust the steering limiters better with the 19"s)

I know that the ball joints have different diameters.

Here is a pic from someone that faced the same situation.

Does anyone have one or the other at hand? Can anyone tell me the exact diameter of both? I need to make an adapter... but can't have any downtime.. that means no taking it out, measuring and getting the machine shop to do it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
is the aluminum style ball joint not able to be put into the spindle? This is one part of the car I wouldn't mess much with as its very important. It might be easier to just get earlier spindles.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's able, but it's a few millimeters too small. Hence why I need to make an adapter... since I'm at it I'll have a roll center correction adapter made.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So, I'm in the process of converting my 07 S60R back to the ALU arms and respective ball joints (lighter setup...

Thanks!
...and here I thought mine was the only R in the world that had that conversion! It's been 2.6 yrs now....

The different (material) LCAs use a different ball joint which attaches to a different steering knuckle. The only other diff is the steering limiter. The ball joints are not that expensive (half the price of the LCAs?) and are a wearing part, so it's a no-brainer to just replace them with new ones. OTOH, the steering knuckles (nearly $500 ea!) are a non-wearig part and cost ~ 3X the LCAs, making it surprisingly expensive to replace those with new ones. If you can find some used ones in good/new shape, that would probably be your best bet.

Lightening the unsprung mass really helped the suspension to mechanically keep up with road irregularities, but it did nothing to keep 4C from freaking out (clenching/crashing) when traversing bad pavement and/or (from 'seeing') really sharp inputs.

I suppose it's possible that "the VCNA 'improvement'" (increased unsprung mass :facepalm:) in late-build '07s was a lame misguided cheap-a$$ tactic to address 4C's failings by attempting to partially conceal them. (There isn't much of a price diff between the 2 sets of parts...) All I ever got out of VCNA (non-technical Executive Secretary Erica Kirsch @ ext. 1994) was that the change was made at VCNA's behest; it was not a rogue/arbitrary factory substitution. (Of course, if your car is not from North America, that probably means that EK/VCNA was just BSing me.)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4c victim, you don't happen to have lying around a set of ball joints you could measure?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found it - in case someone needs it in the future:

Steel version - 41mm OD
ALU version - 38mm OD

·
Registered
331 Posts
The taper appears different to me as well. Careful. Whatever theoretical gain you are after could get someone hurt.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The tapers appear different to me as well. Careful. Whatever theoretical gain you are after could get someone hurt.
It's only the spindle end. So it should be ok if a sleeve if made. If it was the joint side that would be a little crazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts