SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking into a lot of ford focus Mk2 focus ST gearbox and part information to see if we can use their synchronizers and gears since I can source them for their M66 box. Then I ran into this beauty, its essentially a kit they put into your M66 box to make it sequential. they offer helical and straight cut gears and the best part is they say this, "Suitable for Ford Focus Mk2 and both FWD & AWD Volvo models fitted with the M66 gearbox." Else where in the website they reference the QKE45Z and the S60R specifically being able to use this transmission.

So my question is has anyone ran this sequential? My R is about to start the transformation to make 600 awhp, I understand the undertaking I am going down, I have a high strength collar gear, I am going to redesign the angle gear casing to make it strong enough (I have formal training as a mechanical design engineer and have access to a buddy with a CNC), I am getting new axles made and a new driveshaft. Add in all of the rest such as haldex and angle gear cooling. If you have any ideas of potential issues outside of this please let me know.

So to cut to the chase here are some questions I have for the community.

1. Who has ran one
2. Any issues in specific to mounting to an R I should be aware of?
3. Has anyone noticed any other issues with these gearboxes when used either in an R or another car?

So lets avoid those who are going to say leave it stock, telling me the downsides of a sequential (I have driven one I know), or those telling me that it cant be done.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and even more to those who can contribute knowledge to this.

Here are some threads I've read and looked into but haven't found info as to anyone actually mounting the converted box into a P2R. Maybe I missed it.

Lastly If there is a thread detailing an R that has had the Quaife QKE45Z converted gearbox please let me know.

___

LINKS TO THREADS AND THE GEARBOX

Quaife Ford FWD Sequentials - IB5 / M66 / MMT6 Compatible

Volvo M66 part number?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
So I have been looking into a lot of ford focus Mk2 focus ST gearbox and part information to see if we can use their synchronizers and gears since I can source them for their M66 box. Then I ran into this beauty, its essentially a kit they put into your M66 box to make it sequential. they offer helical and straight cut gears and the best part is they say this, "Suitable for Ford Focus Mk2 and both FWD & AWD Volvo models fitted with the M66 gearbox." Else where in the website they reference the QKE45Z and the S60R specifically being able to use this transmission.

So my question is has anyone ran this sequential? My R is about to start the transformation to make 600 awhp, I understand the undertaking I am going down, I have a high strength collar gear, I am going to redesign the angle gear casing to make it strong enough (I have formal training as a mechanical design engineer and have access to a buddy with a CNC), I am getting new axles made and a new driveshaft. Add in all of the rest such as haldex and angle gear cooling. If you have any ideas of potential issues outside of this please let me know.

So to cut to the chase here are some questions I have for the community.

1. Who has ran one
2. Any issues in specific to mounting to an R I should be aware of?
3. Has anyone noticed any other issues with these gearboxes when used either in an R or another car?

So lets avoid those who are going to say leave it stock, telling me the downsides of a sequential (I have driven one I know), or those telling me that it cant be done.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and even more to those who can contribute knowledge to this.

Here are some threads I've read and looked into but haven't found info as to anyone actually mounting the converted box into a P2R. Maybe I missed it.

Lastly If there is a thread detailing an R that has had the Quaife QKE45Z converted gearbox please let me know.

___

LINKS TO THREADS AND THE GEARBOX

Quaife Ford FWD Sequentials - IB5 / M66 / MMT6 Compatible

Volvo M66 part number?

Great find. What's the estimated HP this will hold?

Reactions: Turbo the World

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great find. What's the estimated HP this will hold?
I intend to ask quaife this very question when the build gets to that point in a year or two but the M66 is pretty stout as it so I'm assuming it will be stronger so it should meet my goals. If I find anything more concrete I will post numbers.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also curious about factory P2 ECU compatibility with an aftermarket sequential trans?
Is there some integration required (via tuning) that allows full function/ no CELs?
Also a good point, I'm imagining that since they have you use the oem case they probably use all of the oem sensors. But we shall see. If I get enough good questions like this I will ask them earlier.

I'm the kinda guy who has a Gantt chart of my build plan over the next 2-3 years

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Not when you get to 6
I intend to ask quaife this very question when the build gets to that point in a year or two but the M66 is pretty stout as it so I'm assuming it will be stronger so it should meet my goals. If I find anything more concrete I will post numbers.

Not when you get 600 awhp the M66 will do 800 for a bit but Todd is on hi second one, Im about to see how well the TF80 holds up

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Also curious about factory P2 ECU compatibility with an aftermarket sequential trans?
Is there some integration required (via tuning) that allows full function/ no CELs?
I'm sure Gustave can figure it out

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I looked into this and it would be a big gamble and unsure if it would work at a big expense. I really wanted to do it after I exploded my trans.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couple things, I'm bad at checking Tapatalk, first off I would really like to be put into contact with Gustav sounds like someone I need In my corner.

Second yeah I've heard they can have issues up there in power which is the main reason I'm thinking of sequential. With the intent of going to road course events and track days I would be less likely to run into issues with it. Plus sequential would be handy Incase I ever decided to get more into something like amature time attack.
I looked into this and it would be a big gamble and unsure if it would work at a big expense. I really wanted to do it after I exploded my trans.
Third Red Devil, I've actually seen your YouTube videos and have to say I'm glad to hear you weighing in. Your car is exactly what gave me the motivation to push the R rather than going to some other platform. I will be getting a MR2 ZZW30 soon hopefully for another project car. But either way just wanted to say thank you for putting your R out there for guys like me to appreciate. I seriously look up to your build. Btw how is the R and did you ever contact Quaife?

Has anyone ran boost by gear on a ME-7 ECU or not possible? I could probably look but figured y'all are a great knowledge base.

Also I'm mildly worried about integration of the sequential into the R but I've also been thinking about contacting Kpax/Elevate to ask what they did with the P2R's they used to run on sequential transmissions. It probably won't transfer from full blown racecar to a non gutted street track car but can't hurt to ask right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not when you get to 6

Not when you get 600 awhp the M66 will do 800 for a bit but Todd is on hi second one, Im about to see how well the TF80 holds up
Also CKA how much power and what turbo did you go with? I'm eyeing a EFR 7670B with a .83AR housing on a tubular manifold.

I guess what turbo do you have Red_Devil. You know for the sake of knowledge.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Those racecars are front wheel drive as well. I have a GTX3584RS with a T4 and .82 at the moment Turbosmart hypergate with 40 psi spring. If you want 600hp you will be ok with stock trans I believe. I did close to that on stock motor on a GTX3582.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Can figure it out vs wanting to do it and having the actual time to work it all out and make it work is different. I would go a different route I would love for someone to do it but too expensive for something unproven would cost over 10k if I remember.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Can figure it out vs wanting to do it and having the actual time to work it all out and make it work is different. I would go a different route I would love for someone to do it but too expensive for something unproven would cost over 10k if I remember.
It's cheaper to buy a stock pile of M66s.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
TF80

I'm going to keep looking for that out-of-the-box thinker but only younger. The guy building my transmission ( GT) had good ideas but those died with him before he finished. Just need to find an old-school engineer on these transmissions. Also independently wealthy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear all of you, I agree that the cheaper way is to run M66 boxes until they go out but idk, someone hopefully should do it as far as I can see, I mean whose ever actually had a S60R AWD sequential. Not going to promise that I will be the one or anything. If i could find someone to make the syncros then that would be a different story. I'm going to weigh back and forth on this for a while, hence the information gathering. If i do run the sequential it will be the end of my build plan, so it would be way down the road.

I really just need to kick off the build so that I have some more direction to go on this. Currently i'm in the vicious cycle of planning and re planning while I wait, today I even read all 100+ pages of your build thread Red_Devil (BTW glad to see you have a new gearbox in her). Frankly that gave me a little mental crisis, but oh well, lots of good information on your build, really appreciated you taking the time to make posts about it. Also Red_Devil and CKAVolvo do you guys mind if I contact you guys if I have questions in the future as this is happening? Just through SS messages.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts