SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been looking for a car to replace my current DD. I have found a couple 2004 S60R's for sale that are in my price range. I currently drive a 2005 Chev Cavalier that's getting up there in miles and I really don't get any enjoyment out of the car. I also have an 06 Z06 Corvette that is my fun car so going from the Z06 to the Cavalier is a huge letdown.

I want something that is fun to drive and does good in the snow. I was looking at some BMW's and Audi's but stumbled across the Volvo which has completely peaked my interest. I am trying to keep the price to as close at $10k as I can. I have found 2 2004 S60R's. One is an auto and the other a manual. Both have around 90k miles.

I have been going through the threads and I have decided I know nothing about Volvo's lol. What would you guys recommend? Is the manual more reliable than the auto? What certain things should I look for? What kind of gas mileage should I expect?

All help would be appretiated.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The manual will usually have slave cylinder problems and the autos seem to have a longer list
With 90k you are probably looking at new brakes, struts, and other maintenance if not already done. There are threads here that list what to look foe when buying one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I just found a good thread I'm reading through now. Thanks. Seems like the struts, power steering, angle gear are all good things to check. Hopefully I can get some maintenance records.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
...high maintenance whores can have there upsides right?
Oh yeah... drive one! You'll see (and feel) what we mean, particulary compared to the Cavalier. The seats, the torque, etc. My previous daily was fun rowing my own gears with a 7200 rpm readline, but it still only 125 bhp and no torque.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Oh I forgot to ask. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting?
According to the DIC I get about 22 around town. But on longer trips I get upwards of 28-30.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
find one that is volvo serviced. mine has 90k now and hasent had a SINGLE problem yet. bought it with 65k all volvo records and never had a problem since day one. (it was a special order from sweden tho so i think they took more time building it)

when i bought my gf her s40 i didnt feel bad at all making the dealer throw it up on the lift to check things like angle gear, shocks, bushings, joints. they looked at me like i was the first one to ever do it but **** them.

in my car buying experience too, ive noticed that the cars with the upgraded options have always been in better cond. if someone is willing to spend the extra money to buy the body kit, the 18" pegs, the park assist, atacama, etc... chances are they are a volvo lover and have taken better care of the car in general.

take your time. i shopped for a year for my R.

edit: i have a ipd tune and get 25mpg avg. and i get on it a good bit :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advise about the higher options and being better taken care of. I test drove an auto yesterday and it seemed like a pretty decent car. They are pretty peppy for sure. It does need new tires though. What kind of miles are you guys getting out of your tires?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I replied to your post on the corvette forum, but those guys are fing idots some time.

Ie you can't take serious advise from a guy who had to post a picture of the exhaust cut outs on his GN beacuse he didn't know what they were for.

If your location is really Utah, I can look at a car that your serious about in ten minutes and tell you if it has any of the major problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replied to your post on the corvette forum, but those guys are fing idots some time.

Ie you can't take serious advise from a guy who had to post a picture of the exhaust cut outs on his GN beacuse he didn't know what they were for.

If your location is really Utah, I can look at a car that your serious about in ten minutes and tell you if it has any of the major problems.
Haha I must have missed the post of the cut outs. That's pretty funny. Those guys definitely have there moments and biases.

So I'll get your opinion on this. I looked at a car in Logan yesterday. The check engine light and service airbag soon warning were on. The dealer said he'd fix it though. Is this a common issue? Where in Utah are you located? I'd appreciate all the help I can get!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I live a bit west of Ogden out in the sticks.

I would make the dealer fix those problems before you agree to buy it, or have them take money off the price. Those could both be serious problems depending on what the check engine light is for.

I have a code scanner if you want to pull that code and see what it's for. The air bag ligh could be a real problem or some one cycled the ignition with the radio/hvac unplugged.

Is that an 04 or 05? There is nothing wrong with getting an auto R but that should have the 5 speed auto that is torque limited in 1st and 2nd, and is a weaker trans than the six speed units in later cars. This would not stop me from buying it, but they need to be right on the price.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both of the cars I've looked at are 04's. The dealer agreed to fix these things and warranty it for 30 days so that makes me feel better. The auto I looked at at another dealer won't even put it through there shop but they said I could take it to a mechanic. I'm hoping I can make something work on the manual this week and will probably make a trip up to Logan at the end of this week. If they haven't fixed those warning lights I'd love to borrow your reader.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i would make him tell you what the codes are. because it could be something major or lead to other problems and they might try to mask it to get the car sold. if the light came on during the drive ill bet they are already trying to hide it and cleared the codes hoping it would come on during your drive...........

·
Registered
47 Posts
I havent had any major problems in the 70k miles iv driven as 04sR auto. I have the IPD tune with the tork limiter removed. It is blast to drive. I upgraded the coils and get 24mpg in my 70 mile commute with mixed traffic. My michellen pilot super sports are at 30k and looking good! You will enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i would make him tell you what the codes are. because it could be something major or lead to other problems and they might try to mask it to get the car sold. if the light came on during the drive ill bet they are already trying to hide it and cleared the codes hoping it would come on during your drive...........
I'm worried that they tried just resetting the codes but they didn't come on during my test drive. That's a good idea to have them tell me what the codes are. I'm really hoping they honor the 30 day warranty and I expressed a lot of concern about the warning lights. They seemed pretty upfront about fixing the problem and understood my concern with not wanting to buy the car right then. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they had there mechanic take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm worried that they tried just resetting the codes but they didn't come on during my test drive. That's a good idea to have them tell me what the codes are. I'm really hoping they honor the 30 day warranty and I expressed a lot of concern about the warning lights. They seemed pretty upfront about fixing the problem and understood my concern with not wanting to buy the car right then. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they had there mechanic take a look at it.
thats any car salesman. they dont express any worry about something you say. ask them what the lights were and see what they say. that will show what they are trying to hide immediately.

another reason why i will gladly pay more to buy from a reputable volvo dealer.

if you want my honest advice man. dont even buy an 04. pay the extra money and buy and 06 07 where they worked the bugs out of the car.

PAY NOW OR PAY LATER....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts