SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car on a racing track and I must I enjoyed myself, but I do seem to find that the R tends to understeer, at one point on exiting a fast corner I went off.
Is there a way to reduce this? maybe setup the car, will different tyre pressures help or bigger wheels in the back, suspension ect. What tyre pressure do guys run on the R when on the track? You guys probably put is in Advance mode and switch the DSTC off(reduced?) right?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: S60R on track (Volvarine)

Take a look at the swaybar threads. Also you need to keep different lines to keep the nose in.
Some trail braking or throttle lift might help you through some corners.
Tire pressure depends, check the sidewalls and you can see if the pressure is on the lower side.
Front camber more negative can help.

Sport or Advanced can be used, DSTC completely off.

·
Registered
816 Posts

I ran with 35psi front and back on the track. I watched the wear/scuff marks on the tires and the 35psi (cold) worked just fine. You'll find that once the tires heat up the psi hot is around 42 psi. The R does understeer and I think the best way to change that is better swaybars... IPD track swaybars will make the R oversteer.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Advanced
DSTC Anti-skid off (5 presses)
22mm rear sway bar (either IPD or V70R)
Nitrogen in tires (38 psi)
- Nitrogen does not expand with heat because of no water vapor.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts

AAA/ IPD anti-sways track type 25mm front and rear

BBB/ Negative camber front

CCC/ Way reduced throttle at turn in to reduce plow, but not full lift

I have almost "bite the dust" several times with a too great throttle
lift be careful at high speed with that

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: S60R on track (Helmut Ranff)

One of the characteristics of the R I like best is it's ability to turn into the curve when given lots of throttle.

Some of you may have noticed this: after initial turn in and the car gets in heavy understeer, step on the gas and the AWD and 4C make the car turn into the curve (is like the wheels pull the car to turn by giving it more torque on the outside wheels), the understeer is no more and the car goes on real fast in a very neutral handling.

Certainly if you go in too fast into the turn it will go out of the track. Also the R, because of it's weight, does not like to be tossed sideways while braking of deccelerantig hard, I have to make a gradual break-turn-gas secuence to come out of the curve in the right line at a higher speed. I have never in any 4C or DSC mode been able to oversteer the car, no matter how fast or slow or shape the curve is, all this with the stock suspension and tires.

Check it out, you'll find this car is real fun to drive hard you just have to have faith in it, it feels like the understeer is about to pull you out of the curve and then step on the gas, it gets back in line by itself.

I wonder how it handles with the 25 mm front and rear anti-sway bars, anyone with a description?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the DSTC off until you have tried it in reduced mode a few times and got use to that. Espeacially on the track.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: S60R on track (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
I wouldn't recommend the DSTC off until you have tried it in reduced mode a few times and got use to that. Espeacially on the track.

The man speaks from experience. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'll be tracking mine in St. Louis at GIR in June. I had similar questions. Not sure if I will try the traction off right away. Run my first couple runs with it on and lean it out thru the day. I'm really curious to see how the stock tires do on the track.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: S60R on track (SleepR)

My car is not finished yet so I can not give the degree I will be using- also I am likely removing 4C so it will be different. I believe Johann has applied negative camber and can give the settings he used. Also JRL does a lot of alignments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: S60R on track (Johann)

I press the button 5 times at different speeds but it doesn't want to switch off. Is there anything else I need to do before pressing it 5 times?

35psi, how many bar is that?

If I get the 25mm front and back IPD swaybars will the everyday drive still be comfortable, will it also reduce this funny wabble effect when you drive over uneven surfaces?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Watch your display when you push the button. With each push the display must change.

First it says reduced, then on, then reduced, then on and finally off.
Every time you miss a "beat" you can start over again.

35 psi = ~2.4 bar Which is to low for XL type tires IMO. Closer to 40 would be better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: S60R on track (Johann)

Oh ok! I get it now! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Don't know if you seen this question below, I edited my previous post

If I get the 25mm front and back IPD swaybars will the everyday drive still be comfortable, will it also reduce this funny wabble effect when you drive over uneven surfaces?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Volvarine »
Oh ok! I get it know! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Don't know if you seen this question below, I edited my previous post

You have lowering springs on the car? Comfort levels roughly shift one button push..
Comfort will be closer to sport when using the swaybars.

The strange movement of the rear will never go away. It can be greatly reduced by paying a lot of attention to alignment and tire pressures but it is simply the result of the rear axle geometry.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Volvarine »

Sway's don't change the ride...just the amount of body roll in the corners. I don't know what wabbling your feeling...In the steering wheel or in the car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts