SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am a 2006 S60R owner, bought brand new and have waited patiently for the warranty to expire before making performance upgrades. Have been reading about the possibilities for years and now ready to listen to good advice from those with experience. I have a feeling my bank accoint is about to suffer. I want everything from the intake to the exhaust to be considered. But more on that later...

For now I need answers about my AWD problem - basically I am FWD only. Factory mechanic tore down and told me the angle gear is stripped, but sleeve still useable. Since he quoted almost $3,000 to repair, I told him to leave as-is and put back together - for now. Question1: can the sleeve really still be good if the angle gear is gone? Question2: will permanent damage be cause if I drive in FWD only? I want to fix but that is money that could be much better spent.

Looking for help on the angle gear problem and then would like to start a dialog about R upgrades.

Thanks, and looking forward to using the forum.

AlabamaR

·
Registered
844 Posts
Wow, another failure! There are lots of posts about this failure. First of all maybe you and your machanic miscommunicated about the useable sleeve. I think he meant the angle gear is useable, but sleeve is stripped. Did you get to see it? Did he take pics? Many have DIY'd this problem for less than 200.00. If you keep driving it this way, then eventually the sleeve will wear the angle gear splines down enough to cause the angle gear to be unusable as well. I repaired this issue with mine, so ask whatever you need, and search some to get a better understanding of this failure. Here is a good place to start.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?150268-Help...Collar-sleeve-removal
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?147619-angle-gear-removal
Also vlvo-tech has made many videos on how to DIY.

How many miles are on it? Just curious

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yeah I think this would be a first of the angle gear stripping and not the sleeve. But a $3K quote sounds like the angle gear is gone. Maybe he meant the internals of the angle gear are stripped? If he DID mean the sleeve, then $3K is EXTREMELY over priced for a sleeve replacement. It should cost maybe $500 depending on how much time it takes to get the thing off.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There have been at least a few others who have toasted angle gears. One way that this can happen is as the spline coupling goes it usually takes the seal on the angle gear with it, causing the bloody spew of oxide dust impregnated gear oil to drain from between the trans and angle gear. Run the angle gear low on fluid long enough and it will heat up and also self destruct. Another way that this could fail is if the splines on the angle gear shaft were damaged, instead of the sacrificial coupling.

Either way, get a used angle gear from Erie Vovo, Vands or Ebay..... http://www.vandsautodismantlers.com/ - http://www.erievovo.com/

Shouldn't be more than a few hours labor to have it installed.

Oh yeah, either way, I'd have the sleeve replaced while it's apart, even if it didn't completely fail and it truly is the angle gear that needs replaced. Far better to spend the extra $150 for the sleeve kit (which comes with new seals that you could have installed on your used angle gear) and not have another short term failure.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Someone needs to do a study on angle-gear failure rates - this is crazy.
This smells like a MAJOR recall Volvo is trying to avoid.
I do wish Volvo would do a recall, covers my cost of replacement.
I'm currently trying to source an angle gear for cheap just to replace the one on my car, I don't know if it's stripped or not, but I'd rather have a working one on the side before tackling the job. If my angle gear is still usable, it's good to have a spare.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
i drive with propeller shaft removed due to my awd issues. perhaps you can do the same until the time when you are ready to invest several K's into it.
perhaps i am too negative but i regret not doing it and saving thousands after my angle gear failure. my differential developed 2 failures since then. i refused to fix it the second time. my wallet feels very happy about this.;)

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Bah I thought the angle gear was supposed to be better in 2006-2007? I hadn't really heard of too many failures that weren't 04-05.
Nothing wrong with the angle gear, it was only the spline sleeve / collar gear that was improved in 2006-2007 with the nitrate hardening/coating.

2006 - 2007 reports aren't coming in simply because there hasn't been enough mileage or time, to allow for the sleeve to wear and fail completely. Doesn't mean that Volvo has fixed the problem.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Yeah I think this would be a first of the angle gear stripping and not the sleeve. But a $3K quote sounds like the angle gear is gone. Maybe he meant the internals of the angle gear are stripped? If he DID mean the sleeve, then $3K is EXTREMELY over priced for a sleeve replacement. It should cost maybe $500 depending on how much time it takes to get the thing off.
I agree with Skurvy, I doubt you angle gear splin is stripped and your sleeve is still OK, I would get a second opinion

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
All this non fact based speculation is funny. The percentages people talk about are only of people on this forum. Least we forget that not everyone who owns an R is a member to this site. I would shop around for quotes. Also, keep in mind that anything can be cheap if you use used parts and have the ability to do most major work on your own car. That being said I don't think many people on this forum can do this sort of work themselves as I have found out when I asked a local SS member to help me when I had a CV bearing disassembly issue. Anyway, that's my rant.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with Skurvy, I doubt you angle gear splin is stripped and your sleeve is still OK, I would get a second opinion
Mechanic (Volvo factory) showed me the sleeve and it definitely still had the splines - then he showed me the angle gear too but I wasn't sure where I was supposed to be looking. Basically took his word that it was "completely stripped". What would I have seen (or not seen) to tell me the angle gear was toasted? If the splines on the sleeve interface with splines inside the angle gear, it seems unlikely that the sleeve splines would still be sharp if the angle gear splines were gone. I need an exploded view of how they go together. What are other ways to tell if the gear is good or bad??? Could there be an electrical problem keeping the gear from activating or is it purely mechaincal between front and rear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He definitely meant the gear - he showed me the sleeve with what looked like good splines on it and pointed out that the gear was stripped. Is it true that an easy way to test to see if the gear is stripped is to jack up the rear end and try to manually turn the drive shaft - if it turns freely the gear is stripped, if it catches than it is good (or at least not stripped).

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,293 Posts
If you're the first/original owner and your warranty JUST expired, push for a goodwill repair or ask to have the matter elevated to your regional rep.

Who's the dealer you're using for servicing? Giles, Duplessis, or Bergeron? (unless you're going to Florida for service).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.