SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After the last meet I was told to look into a front fairing for my bike rack since it would reduce the wind noise and it would be more aerodynamic. So I went out and picked up a Thule 872XT front fairing (44"). Installation was fairly simple. The length is good, but the height seems a bit too low and I can hear more noise when driving over certain speeds :p . Has anyone ever run into this issue? I tried searching online and only found custom options that would probably work, but I'm trying to be lazy here and find something already created without the whole re-inventing the wheel option.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7393859236/

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Hi Guys,

After the last meet I was told to look into a front fairing for my bike rack since it would reduce the wind noise and it would be more aerodynamic. So I went out and picked up a Thule 872XT front fairing (44"). Installation was fairly simple. The length is good, but the height seems a bit too low and I can hear more noise when driving over certain speeds :p . Has anyone ever run into this issue? I tried searching online and only found custom options that would probably work, but I'm trying to be lazy here and find something already created without the whole re-inventing the wheel option.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7393859236/
Well the issue with any rack would be noise as you are disrupting the natural aerodynamics of the car. Anyone with a rack would experience this.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have the same faring and don't have any weird noise. The gas mileage noticeably goes down with the racks on.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You need to install the faring opposite the instructions and put the two longer mounting brackets in the middle and the shorter ones on the outsides of the faring it will make the faring follow the contour of the roof more closely. Wind noise will be reduced but still there I close the sunroof visor to reduce it further

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Actually I have done that with the brackets in the middle longer in order to get the contour you mentioned. But I feel like it's too short from the top and that's where the extra noise comes from.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the brackets a little bit ? I had the same faring on my 850 and I had to adjust them between the nut and the faring. There's a hinge that can be moved, I can take pictures of the part if it helps you.

I used a set of load bars from Volvo on my V70 and I'm glad I did: it looks like the Thule rack sits a hair higher than the Volvo one (from my quick measurements).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to check later today, but I might have to cut the current brackets and pull it in closer. I just need to make sure there wont be a gap between the fairing and the rack.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well the wind noise is reduced but still there with my snowboard rack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts