SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently trying to get into a s60r found a super clean one here in chicagoland that drives amazing, doesnt seem to have been treated wrong, hell even the wheels arent that badly curbed. But the big question is that if you guys where to buy a used s60r or hell any AWD volvo would you buy a extended warranty and which would you get? Ive asked a few companys since when at the dealer they said it would be 4400 for a extended warranty:eek: yes i understand the different components it covers and that that makes a big difference but is the 2400 for the one i found through warranty direct would actually be worth it? I know the shocks are iffy on these cars and so on but i just feel its very expensive for a extended warranty. the car is a 2006 s60r with 59k on it i was able to get them to 16.3 out the door. i feel its not an amazing price but it isnt bad. and its close. Some feedback on what you guys think about extended warrantys and the best price you got yours for would be HUGE for me.

FYI so you understand why I am asking, I am 21. This will be my....7th car ive owned:rolleyes: Ive owned a 90 740 and was in love with it and love the S60's especially the R's . Yes I can afford the car, ive managed to build my credit quite well for a 21yr old I feel. I just plan on maintaining this car very miraculously and want to make sure I wont get hit with a surprise repair bill that will kill me.

Please dont say if you are afraid you cant afford the maintenance than dont get it. Thats not the question I am asking.

Here is the link to the exact s60 I am thinking of.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=100&maxPrice=18000&listingId=327533023&Log=0

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
the only extended warranty most will vouch for is the volvo VIP, and i dont think that car is eligible(too old, too many miles).

I'd just save the $$$ spent on the warranty and put it aside in the bank.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only extended warranty most will vouch for is the volvo VIP, and i dont think that car is eligible(too old, too many miles).

I'd just save the $$$ spent on the warranty and put it aside in the bank.
thats what i was thinking of doing, i just want to get the dealer to 16 flat...i would be more comfortable with that than 16.3 yes the 300 is a comfort level. its in good condition and drives good so i feel the orginal owner did take care of it, he traded it in on a Porsche cayeman

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
thats what i was thinking of doing, i just want to get the dealer to 16 flat...i would be more comfortable with that than 16.3 yes the 300 is a comfort level. its in good condition and drives good so i feel the orginal owner did take care of it, he traded it in on a Porsche cayeman
Have to agree. I would put together a nice "slush" fund for repairs, etc for the car [because you will probably want to mod it too, like me :D I'm 25]. The struts from Tasca are $400 a corner shipped, which are generally the worst thing you'll have to fix apart from catastrophic engine failure. [kidding!]

Since the R is an auto with the 6speed, make sure they take care of the recall if it hasn't been done already. It was some pressure valve or what-not. Having the 5speed auto I don't remember cause I was only concerned about it when I was shopping for the car.

Hope all goes well, and if it does, I look forward to welcoming you to the R club sometime :D

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
if you cant get them to 16 flat, get them to include the 60k service(minor, but hey, easily a $300+ service)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you cant get them to 16 flat, get them to include the 60k service(minor, but hey, easily a $300+ service)
so far i am at 15.9 out the door. what does the 60k service include EXACTLY so i can get an idea of what to spring onto them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have to agree. I would put together a nice "slush" fund for repairs, etc for the car [because you will probably want to mod it too, like me :D I'm 25]. The struts from Tasca are $400 a corner shipped, which are generally the worst thing you'll have to fix apart from catastrophic engine failure. [kidding!]

Since the R is an auto with the 6speed, make sure they take care of the recall if it hasn't been done already. It was some pressure valve or what-not. Having the 5speed auto I don't remember cause I was only concerned about it when I was shopping for the car.

Hope all goes well, and if it does, I look forward to welcoming you to the R club sometime :D
Ill ask about all recalls I dont know if it was taken care of or not to be honest, but the car is in near mint shape from the outside so judging from that im thinking the original owner also took good mechanical care of the car as well. luckily the extended warranty i have on my crossfire im selling back to the company and putting that straight into my volvo fund. i think i am going to do the exhaust first though, probably just take a resonator out i like how the tips look so dont really want to mess with the muffler or anything along those lines. If all goes well i should hopefully be signing over my crossfire to them monday or tuesday and picking this up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ill ask about all recalls I dont know if it was taken care of or not to be honest, but the car is in near mint shape from the outside so judging from that im thinking the original owner also took good mechanical care of the car as well. luckily the extended warranty i have on my crossfire im selling back to the company and putting that straight into my volvo fund. i think i am going to do the exhaust first though, probably just take a resonator out i like how the tips look so dont really want to mess with the muffler or anything along those lines. If all goes well i should hopefully be signing over my crossfire to them monday or tuesday and picking this up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's not hard. You have to undo the charge pipe and a few covers to get to the coil packs and the plugs beneath them. All you need is a decent metric set, driver, and maybe some assorted torx 20-30 for the covers [25 I think, but it might be 20 or 27, I always forget]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not hard. You have to undo the charge pipe and a few covers to get to the coil packs and the plugs beneath them. All you need is a decent metric set, driver, and maybe some assorted torx 20-30 for the covers [25 I think, but it might be 20 or 27, I always forget]

i have a basic mechanical understanding and skils as far as working on cars go. its just my patient and lazyness im worried about :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got the extended warranty on my 2.4i when it had 150k miles on it through Volvo and AUL covering internal engine and tranny and drive train components. Volvos are expensive to fix all around but this basically covered the REALLY expensive stuff and the stuff that I don't really want to fix myself. Couldn't get a turbo warrantied (even though I don't have one just saying) or gaskets and seals due to too high of mileage. Had two things already happened that I'm glad I got it. Blew a head gasket (was told this happens very rarely) and had the pump in my tranny go out about 6 months later which i was told is even more rare. Obviously the head gasket wasn't covered but the tranny was!

Obviously it was worth it for me especially since my car had so many miles on it, even though I decided to swap out the entire engine myself. Depending on how the person drove it before you and how you drive it, it might be worth it for you too. Check EVERYHTING. One thing about Volvos is that they work well even with worn parts everywhere. Check all the suspension bushings, the play in the axle shafts, motor mounts, the oh so expensive 4c shocks, ANY angle gear weepage, anything and everything. It can add up very quickly on a car like yours that is on the fence to needing some of these things refreshed. Having a warranty is an excellent thing to fall back upon. Depending on how long it covers you for stay mindful of your caR and try and get most of the above replaced before it expires and you'll enjoy a long relationship. :) Depending on your dealership they will probably be less inclined to replace parts and tell you it's fine which is why you HAVE to be mindful. YOU paid for the warranty so that the car is exactly how it is supposed to be, in tip top shape and thats what it needs to be no matter what they try and tell you. GOOD LUCK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts